The real & classic hip-hop colosseum thread v. Shady

Why are there no good female MCs these days? I I know it's a matter of taste and I'm sure people can start naming underground ones that are good, but seriously. The ones on the radio are trash. Azealia Banks and Nicki Minaj have some technical skills but leaves me cold and/or irritated and just not into it either on a lyrical or a production level. Cardi B et al. I just can't stand on any level. Most other female MCs these days I could name I just don't dig either. Now, I don't really like most hip hop these days so it could simply be that, but I feel like back in the day we had positively an embarrassment of riches in this category. Not just Lady of Rage, we had Lauryn Hill, MC Lyte, Missy Elliot, Foxy, Queen Latifah, Eve, Da Brat, and more. These talented ladies all went super-mainstream in the 90s. Now granted, there was much better hip-hop on the radio in those days, but what happened? Do we have any females making it in the rap game who sound good and are lyrically fierce and talk about more than pussy this that? Sounds like a tall order but they were in plentiful supply for a certain number of years and then seem to have gone out of fashion.

We all need to be bumping some DMX right now tbh. Doesn't look good for him. :( Says he was 30 minutes without brain activity. Basically barring a miracle he's fucked. Pour one out. I always liked him and his crack-related escapades.

Fun fact: His first involvement with the (juvenile) justice system was for stealing a dog from a junkyard. ("Give a dog a bone, leave a dog alone, let a dog roam and he'll find his way home?")

Certainly not the most technically intricate rapper but he had some bonafide bangers.

Also was known for recording a couple gospel tracks on each album. Maybe not the first one you'd expect to express a devout Christian faith but he actually always did.

Agreed hope he pulls through, aside from the obvious I never knew shit about the man so I won't pretend to.

I used to blast this song every fucking day hahah, still cool as fuck, relevant as ever ("crazy n*gga from corona")

Why are there no good female MCs these days? I I know it's a matter of taste and I'm sure people can start naming underground ones that are good, but seriously. The ones on the radio are trash. Azealia Banks and Nicki Minaj have some technical skills but leaves me cold and/or irritated and just not into it either on a lyrical or a production level. Cardi B et al. I just can't stand on any level. Most other female MCs these days I could name I just don't dig either. Now, I don't really like most hip hop these days so it could simply be that, but I feel like back in the day we had positively an embarrassment of riches in this category. Not just Lady of Rage, we had Lauryn Hill, MC Lyte, Missy Elliot, Foxy, Queen Latifah, Eve, Da Brat, and more. These talented ladies all went super-mainstream in the 90s. Now granted, there was much better hip-hop on the radio in those days, but what happened? Do we have any females making it in the rap game who sound good and are lyrically fierce and talk about more than pussy this that? Sounds like a tall order but they were in plentiful supply for a certain number of years and then seem to have gone out of fashion.

this is part of my "songs to bump in the car" collection

trust me, bump this with your windows down and get laid instantly (if you look like me)

Dark man x now too??? Am I at the age where all my childhood idols start dying off one by one?

Phife, MF DOOM, Double K and now DMX

Fuck me