Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'quit smoking' thread

jakoz

Bluelighter
I'm not sure if this will sink right away (hell, it'll be a miracle if it doesn't), but who cares... ;)
I made up my mind today. After 10 or so years of heavy smoking, I've had enough. I cant breathe, I'm as unfit as fuck, and I'm too broke to smoke anyway.
I'm quitting as of first thing Monday.
And I was thinking: Most smokers want to quit, and often turn the idea over in their minds. So for those thinking about it, how about it? Join me :) . Get rid of the smokes and give the blackened mess that is our lungs a rest :)
Any takers?
Cigarettes make baby Jesus cry ;)
[ 11 July 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

I actually started quitting yesterday.
I'm spending more on smokes than I am on food and gasoline, COMBINED.
$8.50 (Canadian) per pack of 25 is pretty sick.
That's my only reason. I enjoy smoking, so this might be hard. But then, Karma owes me a LOT of smokes, so I guess I'll just start collecting on old debts.
:)

Are you going to go for any assistance? 10 years is a pretty big nicotine habit to quit cold turkey...
I know two people who've just recently (last weekend) decided to quit smoking - one's using patches and the other is doing it tough... from what I've seen of them, I recommend using the patches... heheeh... :)
*waves to them if they read this* ;)
Good luck to everyone that's quitting!

i quite successfully quit 10 months ago when i started going out with Mirage. I guess if you have the right motivation it can do wonders. That said, now that we arent together anymore I might just take it back up ;)

I quit a 6 year habit on New Years Day, 1996. Here's what worked for me - You know how when you go out you smoke about twice as much, and feel crap the next day? Well, that's the day you quit. Be sure to finish your pack, or chuck out any you have left. I also went down from 8mg to 4mg for about a month before this. Then I just went cold turkey. I had a few days of headaches, sweats, tremors and general snappiness, but it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Make sure you have some Panadeine or similar as the headaches suck. After a few days you'll start coughing up more crap than you can imagine - this is a good thing as it means your respiratory system is starting to work well again. A week or so after quitting, you'll be able to walk up stairs again without puffing! Good luck people

I quit for four months earlier on this year but took i up again after visiting melbourne.
I'm quitting again after this weekend, and this time when i visit melbourne i'm not going to buy a pack n take it up again.

Quit? Hmmm yes, that nasty word. I'm kind of swinging between smoking and not, and have never really been a heavy smoker, more an intermittent smoker. I'll buy a pack on a weekend and smoke them all in a day or two, then I won't buy another pack for a month or two, sometimes I'll cadge them from other people, though right now I'm not in the mood. I have a sore throat and cold.
I've tried to 'quit' before, and it doesn't work for me because I don't have the motivation, I can safely say its nothing to do with the nicotine, its just an indication of how much of a lifestyle thing smoking is, it becomes the 'thing to do' after sex, when I'm writing, when I'm drunk, when I'm methed up, whatever.
Blah blah. I'm not quitting any time soon, but then I'm not planning on smoking for a little while. So good luck to those who are.
-plaz out-

I quit cold turkey in february of 2001, and haven't touched one since. It's hard work, but it's very do-able, so I wish you the best of luck, and if you don't succeed, try, try again.

Well Ive never had a cigarrette in my life..
So there... :)
Good luck to all that are trying to quit...

I'm currently in the state of semi-quitting smoking... I smoke maybe one or 2 cigarettes a day if that but if I go out and am on something I feel that I really need to 'sit and smoke lots' :p
However, I count myself lucky that after whats been a good 18months of smoking, all I have is a mild psychological addiction to the things. When I'm bored or annoyed I have the urge to light up.. and when I do all I can think is 'man I really dont enjoy smoking at all!'.
I also came to the realisation yesterday, while I was at the train station watching some underage girls light up, that I really only enjoyed smoking when I wasnt really allowed to do it... so I guess it was just one of those silly rebellion things that I went through and now that I've moved on its time for me to give it away....
All thats left for me to do is to not actually light up when I get the urge to... I'm working on that as I dont buy cigs, but its turning me into a MAJOR cigarette scab heh.
I wish everyone attempting to quit the best of luck.. it can only be good for you :) .
stace.
[ 12 July 2002: Message edited by: stacyrox ]

I quit cold turkey a year and four months ago... I just decided one trashy weekend that i hated cigarettes and quit on the monday... I dont know how, the only withdrawals I had were a bit of a teary every now and then...
Anyways my point is that you can do it, any or all of you, if you hate it enough... Theres no point quitting if you know you still love it too much...
Much Love and Light to guide you through it...

SO many reasons to give up and i cant fool myself any longer so im gonna give the patches a try. It's gonna be hard but it's a habit i can do without.
good luck to all.

I quit smoking weed (yes, again hehe) on Wednesday night, and haven't smoked since. Up until then i been toking down on some leaf about once a week just to kill the craving. It's fucked i tells ya! It was easier for me to quit smoking, i just said 'fuck it, that shits dirty, and it aint getting me high' - unfortunately after that i hit the bongs hard! :D
What was my point again?
All smoking bad. Think about the children.

Someone once said to me:
Anyone can quit smoking, it takes true character to fight lung cancer.
The way I see it, I'm just building my character. ;)
[ 12 July 2002: Message edited by: Queen Beat ]

I SMOKED FOR 6 YEARS, I QUIT 6 MONTHS AGO, VERY HARD BUT ANYONE CAN DO IT!!! :D THE FIRST FEW DAYS IS ALWAYS HARD, AFTER 1 WEEK YOU ARE OVER THE WORST OF IT, THERE ARE HEAPS OF SITES ON THE WEB TO HELP YOU!! I USED NICOTINE GUM FOR ABOUT A WEEK, I FOUND IT REALLY HELPED :D QUITING SMOKIN WAS DA BEST THING!! I LOVE IT LIKE AN OLD FRIEND BUT MAN YOU DO SO MUCH MORE :)
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD QUIT
*BETTER SEX
*LOTS MORE MONEY, YOU SPEND ABOUT $2000-3500 PER YEAR ON FAGS MAN
*CAR, HOUSE, CLOTHES, SKIN, G/F ETC ALL SMELL BETTER
*FOOD, DRINK, G/F EVEN DRUGS TASTE BETTER :D
*LOTS MORE NRG FOR FUN ACTIVITIES
*NOT ALWAYS RUNNING OUT OF WORK, RESTUARANT, ETC FOR FAG
*YOU WILL LIVE ABOUT 5-25 YEARS LONGER THEN AVERAGE
FOOKIN' HEAPS OF REASONS
I STILL MISS MY SMOKES, ALL THE GOOD TIMES, AT THE CLUB, IN THE CAR, AFTER SEX, AFTER MY CAR ACCIDENT, WHEN I WENT TO PARIS ETC BUT DO NOT REACH FOR (ANOTHER) CIG!!
WHEN YOU QUIT FAGS/CIGS YOU CAN JUST ABOUT DO ANYTHING + LIFE REALLY MELLOWS OUT IN SO MANY WAYS YOU WILL HAVE NEVER HAVE HAD THOUGHT OF :D "COME ON, QUIT SMOKIN MORE SEX!" PRETTY GOOD DEAL KIDDIES =^,,^=
Hug da kitty, kitty has bounce
Give the cigs for the drugs, you know I am right :)
Its all about the multiple kitties, I mean multiple orgasms!
[ 13 July 2002: Message edited by: DJ Kitty ]

capslock.gif

DJ Kitty shouted :
WHEN YOU QUIT FAGS/CIGS YOU CAN JUST ABOUT DO ANYTHING..
How about,.....die?
Listen to the voices, kill yourself