Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Price of Cigarettes in Australia

AbbeyLee

Bluelighter
Ok get this.. I’m a pretty heavy cigarette smoker. It’s been driving me insane because it’s really compulsive/obsessive and I just can’t resist them. With prices in Australia I feel like I’m supporting the economy with the amount of tax on them.

When I smoke meth I smoke way less cigs. I might sit there for an hour so focused on something and I just forget. I’ve just been looking at my finances and it’s really hard to know, but meth + less cigs might be cheaper than cigs alone. In other words, meth saves me money lol.

Good work Australia.. Winning at health/drug policy too with the smoke Nazi tactics!

$45 for 40 tonight. I can get these Chinese ones $16 for 20 and they’re not bad, just have to drive further. Next year it’ll be cheaper to buy cocaine.

Damn! That is a crazy high price!

I thought $8 a pack was bad here in the U.S!

Yeah the Australian Government taxes them at about 50%. Its nuts. $8 so that would be about AU$12.50.

Hey question for you painful- whats the average US yearly wage? I know the minimum hourly rate is crazy shit ($8 or something? Its $22/hr here) but I have often wondered what the annual yearly wage would be?

Oh well you guys are making $22 an hour minimum wage?
You can’t complain then.

We poor bastards are making $7.25 an hour minimum wage.

I have not been able to work for awhile due to injury.
I was always able to figure out how to make more than that before this head injury.
My family has been taking care of me since car accident and injury.
Thank god for that!

That equals $15,080 a year if working for minimum wage here of $7.25 an hour, 8 hours a day for 5 days a week.

LOL! Not even enough to afford housing here, let alone food, power, insurance, car, utilities, health care, dental, etc. etc.

Oh well you guys are making $22 an hour minimum wage?
You can’t complain then.

We poor bastards are making $7.25 an hour minimum wage.

I have not been able to work for awhile due to injury.
I was always able to figure out how to make more than that before this head injury.
My family has been taking care of me since car accident and injury.
Thank god for that!

Yeah.. I sometimes watch videos on YouTube showing the homeless in America. It’s shocking and makes me grateful for what I’ve got. My daughter and I were watching one about LA and we were like “cigarettes are cheap there so you can at least smoke among the rats and the used syringes” :rolleyes: You have to laugh or you’ll cry sometimes. We’re overall still better off than the US but the govt is working on that.

But here you go. They’ve gone up since this and $25 for 20 is good.

06B7FD09-25DF-4C51-904C-EFA17D31C560.jpeg

You will save heaps switching to rollies.

The Chinese smokes are the best option but I haven’t been able to get to that shop. They also sell pre-rolled black market tobacco (chop-chop) which are the cheapest option but I just can’t handle those.

It does make you want to cry when you see L.A and people literally living among the rats.
all over the U.S.A now.
It is a horrific situation!

I am currently trying to cut down big time on the smoking but I am also having to taper off gabapentin and it has me stressed.
I need to really taper down off both though.
Wish me luck my friends!
🍀

Yeah? I never knew that.

I gotta admit I'm shocked to hear people talk about meth helping them quit smoking. I'm not a heavy stimulant user, but stimulants and particularly amphetamines I find significantly increase how much I smoke.

Also this "you can't complain" shit is bullshit. Just cause some things are better, even significantly better in Australia compared to other countries doesn't mean you have no right to complain about things that are worse.

I'm generally supportive of efforts to reduce smoking, but I find the idea of such huge taxes on an addictive product disproportionately used by people already in lower income brackets quite questionable.

Yeah.. I sometimes watch videos on YouTube showing the homeless in America. It’s shocking and makes me grateful for what I’ve got. My daughter and I were watching one about LA and we were like “cigarettes are cheap there so you can at least smoke among the rats and the used syringes” :rolleyes: You have to laugh or you’ll cry sometimes. We’re overall still better off than the US but the govt is working on that.

But here you go. They’ve gone up since this and $25 for 20 is good.

View attachment 20734

I'm moving to Pakistan....

I'm moving to Pakistan....

Haha I’ve joked about moving to India. It’s not seeming that stupid now.

The Australian govt are the biggest smoke Nazis in the world. The packs are covered in pics of diseases (one even has a dead guy) and all look exactly the same. In the store they have to be out of sight in these filing cabinet things.

They also have all these rules about where you can smoke. Say you leave the shopping mall to have one, you have to be like 50 metres from the entrance (in case someone walks past and risks breathing in the smoke. I’ve been asked to move a few times by security guards. It’s insane and it just appeases non-smokers. They’d lose so much money if we all quit.

The Australian govt are the biggest smoke Nazis in the world. The packs are covered in pics of diseases (one even has a dead guy) and all look exactly the same. In the store they have to be out of sight in these filing cabinet things.

They also have all these rules about where you can smoke. Say you leave the shopping mall to have one, you have to be like 50 metres from the entrance (in case someone walks past and risks breathing in the smoke. I’ve been asked to move a few times by security guards. It’s insane and it just appeases non-smokers. They’d lose so much money if we all quit.

I really miss being able to smoke in the outdoor areas of restaurants. :(

I vividly remember when that change happened in NSW. As I recall I even started a thread about it. And as I recall most people here didn't exactly share my sentiment.

I really miss being able to smoke in the outdoor areas of restaurants. :(

I vividly remember when that change happened in NSW. As I recall I even started a thread about it. And as I recall most people here didn't exactly share my sentiment.

I miss smoking inside restaurants! We’d be there for hours. Now there are whole streets in the city where it’s banned.

Well I’m almost at the end of my pay fortnight and really no worse off than when I just buy cigarettes. So if you want to save money, smoke meth and have fun at the same time ;)

Well you can't say it hasn't worked. Only about 14% of the population smoke now, 35 yrs ago everybody smoked in hospitals including the nurses lol