• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Soccer The politics of football the world game

Boku_

Bluelighter
Is it true football the world game is a sport of the left wing leaning countries?

Didn't the North Americans want to ignore everything European and invent their own sports during the late nineteenth century period where organised sports started springing up globally?

Australia and New Zealand were always way behind the rest and considered themselves classless so soccer just didn't take off. cricket and rugby union/league did, go figure

The Irish and Australians( ok Victorians) had their own version of football. The Irish were big into promoting GAA, However rugby union and hockey was popular

Kiwis didn't invent their own code of football but enjoyed completing against Australia in cricket and rugby.

But for some reason soccer wasn't really popular in most Commonwealth British colonial outposts.

India on the other hand were all about class in society so only the rich played sport.

Anyway according to some soccer is the sport of the left or to some extent the working class of Great Britain, thoughts??

Soccer definitely seems like an example of a working class sport, especially in South American countries.

Golf is elite's sport (war is theyre prefered one but if it counts), tennis is smack in the middle, while and soccer ⚽️ and basketball are examples of working class (peasants/surfs) sports.

Golf is elite's sport

where you are, perhaps, but not everywhere.

i grew up in scotland where golf is played across the social spectrum. edinburgh has 5 public courses and the vibe is definitely not elite. it's a very popular working class sport.

i still play now i live in the u.s. and, where i am, it's played by working and middle class alike.

alasdair

From where I am you have to be in the upper middle class (if that even exist here cause war tore everything apart) to efen consider tennis. Parents of Goran Ivanišević had to sell their house and bet on the success of their son. He made it (although Sampras made his career a nightmare at Wimbledon) but he could have torn his knee or elbow when he was 17 and the family would be poor. So yes, it is all a matter of perspective. But football and basketball are sports for the masses.

Lets just enjoy the game.Don't wanna mix politic with game....don't give a shit even,despite all shit goin' on with football.ye Americans called it a soccer&,watch their football&baseball,which are absolute boredome for me...but U.S.A. got excellent team...Canada also. On this tournament

Last edited:
There’s an interesting documentary on Netflix about fifa. Eye opening.

Personally I don’t believe politics and sport should mix.
In an ideal world I'd agree, but in this world I don't see how they cannot - especially in circumstances such as we are are now witnessing

After all the intimidation and threats from the grim Quatari regime I'm hoping that at least one high profile team or player makes a protest gesture at a moment when the whole world is watching - preferably as they are presented with the trophy...or at the end of the final etc

I wouldn't bet against it happening either, we'll see

Last edited:
All of popular media of any kind is weaponized to turn you into a docile useful idiot.

In an ideal world I'd agree, but in this world I don't see how they cannot - especially in circumstances such as we are are now witnessing

After all the intimidation and threats from the grim Quatari regime I'm hoping that at least one high profile team or player makes a protest gesture at a moment when the whole world is watching - preferably as they are presented with the trophy...or at the end of the final etc

I wouldn't bet against it happening either, we'll see
Watch the FIFA documentary on Netflix! It honestly really is good.

The World Cup should never have been held in Qatar. They have no infrastructure at all, nor should it have been held in Russia. It was all backhander payments. It should be held in places with strong football connections and the proper infrastructure to hold it.

The World Cup should never have been held in Qatar. They have no infrastructure at all, nor should it have been held in Russia. It was all backhander payments. It should be held in places with strong football connections and the proper infrastructure to hold it.
I haven't watched Netflix documentary cause it is the same old story that keeps repeating. Nothing new in FIFA corruption world. Simple google search of "Sepp Blatter" and/or "Michel Platini" will give you all you need to know about how that organisation works. But if one wants a destiled version with cool videos, graphics and music that is available on YouTube than here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the FIFA documentary on Netflix! It honestly really is good.

Yes, agreed 100%.

I haven't seen it but am aware of how corrupt FIFA has been for decades and continues to be - it was clear that Qatar had bought the tournament as soon as it was announced all those years ago. All fits in with the 'sportswashing' motif which has pretty much fucked up top level football as a competitive sport in Europe (Well in France and England anyway...plenty more to follow).

Now I can see that you have some level of awareness of the situation I'm sctatching my head even more at your "sport and politics should not mix" idealsim, unless of course you just mean corruption shouldn't exist in sport

If the world cup winning captain whips his top off as he receives the trophy to reveal a mesage supporting migrant workers rights and/or LGBTQ+ solidarity I somehow can't see you raging at the screen in anger at the political gesture, right? Colin Kaepernick's original (sport-wise, obviously Martin Luther King was the OG) taking of the knee was a political gesture,

Yes, agreed 100%.

I haven't seen it but am aware of how corrupt FIFA has been for decades and continues to be - it was clear that Qatar had bought the tournament as soon as it was announced all those years ago. All fits in with the 'sportswashing' motif which has pretty much fucked up top level football as a competitive sport in Europe (Well in France and England anyway...plenty more to follow).

Now I can see that you have some level of awareness of the situation I'm sctatching my head even more at your "sport and politics should not mix" idealsim, unless of course you just mean corruption shouldn't exist in sport

If the world cup winning captain whips his top off as he receives the trophy to reveal a mesage supporting migrant workers rights and/or LGBTQ+ solidarity I somehow can't see you raging at the screen in anger at the political gesture, right? Colin Kaepernick's original (sport-wise, obviously Martin Luther King was the OG) taking of the knee was a political gesture,
Personally, I think those gestures are meaningless (focusing on Qatar and the lgbt thing). It would have been better if the teams who truly support lgbt or are against the deaths of those migrant workers not play at all. Empty gestures mean nothing, it’s tokenism.