• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The orange California poppy is a true narcotic

I wouldn't hold out much hope for it being very reinforcing. I've heard the plant has a number of lightly sedating compounds, but I've never seen any evangelists of it (and I've read plenty of trip reports where people try their best to feel something).

If you try it def write up what it's like.

I've never paid any attention to this plant but this article is fairly misleading and contradictive.

Says it's a non-opiate and non-addictive then the next sentence immediately calls it a "true narcotic"...(?)

Interesting. Going on my "next drug to study" list.

It's been vetted years ago but California poppy was a considered a dud in my few tries as well as a few others. It became a nothing to see here. Now I realize LSD 25 was also a nothing to see here for 5 years and Salvia was overlooked execpt for a few historic articles, but yeah, not thinking California poppy (or the extracts that were sold) amounted to much beyond placebo. That would be great if it changed but not seeing it yet.

It's been vetted years ago but California poppy was a considered a dud in my few tries as well as a few others. It became a nothing to see here. Now I realize LSD 25 was also a nothing to see here for 5 years and Salvia was overlooked execpt for a few historic articles, but yeah, not thinking California poppy (or the extracts that were sold) amounted to much beyond placebo. That would be great if it changed but not seeing it yet.

i didnt understand this reply. so you are talking about LSD and Salvia being overlooked, and then this one is kind of a dud but not really studied or what?? and what would be great if it changed? changed what?? im completely utterly confused by this reply...

^ My apologies @allone. It is sort of confusing the way I wrote that. I meant that in the past we have written off substances as nothing special at first. I think LSD sat on a shelf for some years before Albert Hoffman had that notion to revisit. And Salvia had also been in the literature but until 1994 when Daniel Seibert revisited it no one even considered it.

So wth that I have hopes we will find some other plants in our life that turn out to be potent and worthy. California poppy may be one of them. But there were stories of them throughout my life and I did grow some and give it a shot. I got nothing though so far. It would be nice if there were people digging in and giving this stuff another try.

As far as plants that I believe will become more important drug wise are chamamile and mulungu. Both fairly strong sedatives. Growing your own chamamile is way different than the tea bags we can buy. An handful of fresh chamomile has been as potent as 5-10 mg of diazepam for me. The store bought tea bags do nothing.

i didnt understand this reply. so you are talking about LSD and Salvia being overlooked, and then this one is kind of a dud but not really studied or what?? and what would be great if it changed? changed what?? im completely utterly confused by this reply...
What I get of this is just like Kratom as opiod, Salvia Divinorum, has been overlooked. Not Salvia offcourse which is technically more like a dissociative. Probably also through sigma- mu recepter activation.

But afaik the Calafornian poppy is nice to see and has medical properties. But its no where near Papaver Somniferium in effect's. Isn't Glaucine also found in this specie's?

chamamile and mulungu. Both fairly strong sedatives. Growing your own chamamile is way different than the tea bags we can buy. An handful of fresh chamomile has been as potent as 5-10 mg of diazepam for me. The store bought tea bags do nothing.
Mulungu true, but Chamomile? Never got any effect from the latter.

How about an extract of the bark of Magnolia, on paper it looks more promising then all other nature's GABA-ergic's.

We must be getting famous for derailing thread's over here. I wanna elaborate on Mulungu end Magnolia. The last one seems so promising. Anyone have tried it?

My experience is limited to Mulungu. That i once bought when the opportunity raised. Both the extract as the whole herb had the same effect, calculating the difference in strength. Was it an adulterated product? Seem's like a lot of work to adulterate the extract so precise that it equal's the unprocessed bark.

Not impossible, but un-lightly.

Would I compare it to an medication that is prescribed. The one that comes in mind is Opipramol. It just put me to sleep no recreation or sedation. No remarkable influence on sleep quality. Better then Mirtazepine in that regard. Which is sedating through its anti-Histaminergic action.

You mind find this interesting OP.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16562853/

After some looking Glaucine seems to be an Aporhine but found in other specie's. Which are closely related i guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucine

Last edited:
Chamomile is tricky and I had written it off until I grew my own. Someone else had told me the same thing. But it was a lot stronger than the store bought chamomile or even from a bulk barn.

With mulungu I only ever had the shredded bark and it was from a vendor I trusted as I understand a lot of bunk bark was going around. I am not even sure I can find the shredded bark anymore. But I can confirm a handful simmered for 20 minutes made a very relaxing tea. I am not one that likes to look for effects but mulungu was unmistakable. I had read there may be some possible hepatotoxicity involved but only read that once and I never confirmed it.

Never tried magnolia that one might be next.

^ My apologies @allone. It is sort of confusing the way I wrote that. I meant that in the past we have written off substances as nothing special at first. I think LSD sat on a shelf for some years before Albert Hoffman had that notion to revisit. And Salvia had also been in the literature but until 1994 when Daniel Seibert revisited it no one even considered it.

So wth that I have hopes we will find some other plants in our life that turn out to be potent and worthy. California poppy may be one of them. But there were stories of them throughout my life and I did grow some and give it a shot. I got nothing though so far. It would be nice if there were people digging in and giving this stuff another try.

As far as plants that I believe will become more important drug wise are chamamile and mulungu. Both fairly strong sedatives. Growing your own chamamile is way different than the tea bags we can buy. An handful of fresh chamomile has been as potent as 5-10 mg of diazepam for me. The store bought tea bags do nothing.

Agreed proper chamomile is actually fairly potent when you compare to the garbage in the store. I believe it is Apigenin which gives the effects and I’ve found other plants that contain this drug also go bad very quickly, such as Salvia nemorosa.

What you describe, finding a new plant drug, is my goal in life... Before I die I’d like to discover and popularize a new drug, but we’ll see. I feel I’ve gotten close over the years.

This is why I like to also go out foraging and trying new plants and herbs hoping one day to find a good one. I’ve come across quite a few active plants but yet to find something that I consider good or super enjoyable.

-GC

so instead of buying those silly tea bags, just buy extract or powders online. tea bags always contain shit, just enough to make profit. green tea, black tea, any tea sold as tea bags can be quite useless. sure you can feel the effect because of caffeine when it comes to green and black tea, but nowhere near the more beneficial compounds present unless you use loose leaf tea. i assume chamomile must be the same. not sure fresh vs dried powder will be much different. but i also read the active bioactives in chamomile are only working when mixed with ethanol as they are alcohol soluble. which is yet another reason why the crappy tea bags dont work as you just isolate them using hot water and its useless.

Agreed proper chamomile is actually fairly potent when you compare to the garbage in the store. I believe it is Apigenin which gives the effects and I’ve found other plants that contain this drug also go bad very quickly, such as Salvia nemorosa.

What you describe, finding a new plant drug, is my goal in life... Before I die I’d like to discover and popularize a new drug, but we’ll see. I feel I’ve gotten close over the years.

This is why I like to also go out foraging and trying new plants and herbs hoping one day to find a good one. I’ve come across quite a few active plants but yet to find something that I consider good or super enjoyable.

-GC

how about go and experiment with the california poppy? i gave you a good start

Chamomile is tricky and I had written it off until I grew my own. Someone else had told me the same thing. But it was a lot stronger than the store bought chamomile or even from a bulk barn.

With mulungu I only ever had the shredded bark and it was from a vendor I trusted as I understand a lot of bunk bark was going around. I am not even sure I can find the shredded bark anymore. But I can confirm a handful simmered for 20 minutes made a very relaxing tea. I am not one that likes to look for effects but mulungu was unmistakable. I had read there may be some possible hepatotoxicity involved but only read that once and I never confirmed it.

Never tried magnolia that one might be next.
Chamomile is hit or miss i guess. The store bought bag's are in general shit. Even the more expensive brand's or the one's that sell loose Chamomile.

I grew my own and it tasted way better but it no way improved my sleep or worked calming. This herb has like it seems alot to do with ones personal chemistry.

Mulungu was very active, and i still wonder what is it in that bark that cause it?

Interesting site on Mulungu, 20 isoquinoline alkaloids. Many of these have demonstrated anti-inflammatory, cardioactive, narcotic, and sedative activities. And other rain forest med's
https://rain-tree.com/mulungu.htm

Last edited:
Well long ago when I was still somewhat drug-naive, the first (or second, after 5-htp) supplement I tried was california poppy, they were probably real at least from a reputable online shop which also sold some potent stuff, and I'd say they had a subtle relaxing effect maybe like very low dose of a mood-stabilizer / pregabalin, valproate etc. Unfortunately never mega-dosed, so unknowns remain. Afair it was an extract, 10:1 or so.

Comes onto my to-do list as well :) but no way it's a "real narcotic" in sense of opiates. Still might even have some psychedelia when mega-dosed. Or combined (will always remember me tripping ballz on a combo of all the GABAergics I could get my hands on then, tiagabine, pregab, lorazep and some else. Completely unexpected as it was just ONE pill of each.. full-on visuals..) Maybe.

Agree that herbals, bought from pharmacy, drug-store, and ninety-fife percent of so called "herbal doctors" are nuts, like homoeopathy, even when you overdose you only get the effects of by-products ... they are just afraid of the real deal ... once I got sedation out of A BOTTLE of passifloria syrup, but that was it. Valerian, chamomile, etc.pp. are just weird candies.

Chamomile is hit or miss i guess. The store bought bag's are in general shit. Even the more expensive brand's or the one's that sell loose Chamomile.

I grew my own and it tasted way better but it no way improved my sleep or worked calming. This herb has like it seems alot to do with ones personal chemistry.

Mulungu was very active, and i still wonder what is it in that bark that cause it?

Interesting site on Mulungu, 20 isoquinoline alkaloids. Many of these have demonstrated anti-inflammatory, cardioactive, narcotic, and sedative activities. And other rain forest med's
https://rain-tree.com/mulungu.htm

i do not see that mulungu anywhere in health stores. where do you buy yours from? and is it just sedative or does it feel like a narcotic? im more interested in its narcotic abilities

i do not see that mulungu anywhere in health stores. where do you buy yours from? and is it just sedative or does it feel like a narcotic? im more interested in its narcotic abilities
Health stores usually don't sell the good thingies. At least here in Mexico and was similar in Europe (w/ exception of the Netherlands, but still bad quality overpriced shit) ... I expected more from a country where Peyote and stuff is available but it's all hidden, guess due to pressure of USA ... source off the internet :) don't know about importation/custom rules though, in Europe most things pass (but you get a fine when not..)

how about go and experiment with the california poppy? i gave you a good start

I’ve got seeds but too many other projects on my plate right now. If I ever get to it you’ll be the first I let know ;)

Plus I’m looking for something really undiscovered, I get the impression due to its similarities to regular poppies it’s likely be played with quite a bit.

“Wild Lettuce Opium” aka Lactuca virosa or serriola. While nearly inactive in certain areas I’ve found plants that got me high as hell in a good way. The problem is for like 3 days after I’m ultra sensitive to my Suboxone and so for me it gets in the way. It’s also about how you consume it. My theory is the active constituents are both fragile/volatile and non water soluble, making most people’s efforts end up in failure.

-GC

“Wild Lettuce Opium” aka Lactuca virosa or serriola. While nearly inactive in certain areas I’ve found plants that got me high as hell in a good way.
Always been very curious about that plant, almost forgot about it until now. You've had successful results yourself?

Have you posted your findings? Curious.

Always been very curious about that plant, almost forgot about it until now. You've had successful results yourself?

Yup. My best experiences have been with L. serriola (I believe that’s the spelling) that was growing right along my house.

There’s also a lot of factors which can alter the psychoactive components, I should look that up for you because it can help you determine whether the particular plant your looking at will actually do something.

My best experience came from only 2 quidded leaves from a plant that was basically perfect in terms of these “factors” I describe. Some of them include rainfall/drought, grouping of plants, and more. I can’t remember exact details of course right now but I do recall plants that have experienced long droughts are more potent, as well as plants thriving in a group vs solo plants.

I’ll look for that article cuz I could use writing that info down myself ;)

I think my reports on DF, but I could transfer it over or give a brief description. Essentially it felt very opiate like, definitely euphoric, the good part lasted about 3 hours, sex was good I recall and I was more open talking like on true opiates. Then the next 3 days I seemed to become ultra sensitive to my sub where I had to drop my dose to 1/4 of its normal amount so I wouldn’t get dizzy. I was fucked up dizzy the whole first day after til I figured it out.

-GC