• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

I only got serious about quitting this year and then it has been surprisingly easy. No cravings just the pain of cold turkey. Did have one relapse but it's so obvious what the better choice is when you want to stop. Makes quitting easier knowing you'll get better. Takes me maybe 3 weeks to feel great. So worth it.

I could never taper didn't have the self control or steady supply for it. Stuff leeches the energy out of my very bones it seems.

Psychedelics really help I trip a lot. Especially the phenethylamines like 2c-c and 2c-d can really prove beneficial during detox.

I have been tapering from 100mg of methadone a day down to 10mg. Having a hell of a time getting past the 10mg point. Got a prescription for Klonopin for the WD symptoms today and have a Lyrica script as well. Any advice on which way to go? Keep trying to taper the methadone? Lyrica? Klonopin? A combination of them? Any advice is appreciated. Trying to get off of everything the most painless way possible.

throw some dxm in there as well. i was taking 50g of kratom a day and 10mg of etizolam and a bottle of cough syrup really did the deed. id imagine doing that every 36 hours would be good. no pain/issues whatsoever. shocking.

eventually i just used ibogaine and got off it all, and back to a normal human being state before i used drugs.

Looking for a little advice, I was on 100mg of methadone for approx 3 years. I have been tapering down and am currently at 10mg a day. I have hit the point where cutting that down I am seeing the physical WD signs start if I try and go to 7.5mg or so. Suboxone is not an option but was given the following. I am curious what people think is the best way to go to avoid the physical WD Issues. I also still have 25 days worth of methadone at the current level.
Klonopin- 2 week script
Clonidine patchs
Lyrica

Any advice is greatly appreciated, 4 kids at home so trying to do this with as little disruption to them as possible. Thank You.

Looking for a little advice, I was on 100mg of methadone for approx 3 years. I have been tapering down and am currently at 10mg a day. I have hit the point where cutting that down I am seeing the physical WD signs start if I try and go to 7.5mg or so. Suboxone is not an option but was given the following. I am curious what people think is the best way to go to avoid the physical WD Issues. I also still have 25 days worth of methadone at the current level.
Klonopin- 2 week script
Clonidine patchs
Lyrica

Any advice is greatly appreciated, 4 kids at home so trying to do this with as little disruption to them as possible. Thank You.

I've come off methadone (prescribed for pain management) before, although cold turkey although and at 20 times your dose and it was harsh to say the least..That is NOT the best way to so it

With regard to your situation, there is some evidence that the withdrawal from stopping at 10mg are just as bad as stopping at 30 or 40 so I wouldn't do that if you want to function. You say that you are feeling some withdrawls each drop but if you stop cold turkey they will be much worse. I wouldn't drop to 7.5 straight away as even though it's only a 2.5mg drop, it's 25% of your total daily dose which is a big drop (think in terms of percentages rather than mg).

You say you have 250mg left? Some quick maths and I think you could drop 10mg every 5 days (9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, etc) and still have 25 mg spare for emergencies. This is a 45 day taper. When you get down to 1mg for 5 days then jump off..You then start the comfort meds for as long as the prescriptions you have last (2 weeks or so).

With what you have available, this is the optimal way of doing it while keeping discomfort to a minimum. It will still be difficult but way easier than cold turkey. The problem is that you don't have enough methadone to do a longer taper and only a couple of weeks of comfort meds. If you stopped cold turkey now, the comfort meds would help but the withdrawls would last much longer than 2 weeks by which time you would be out of meds and in trouble.

Hope that helps.

I still feel like shit after 2 weeks.

Over time, speaking in months and years, does the duration and recovery period tend to increase? I feel like whatever powerful energy reserves are required to detox are being depleted. This last relapse was two weeks and oxy's. I think the level of highness has something to do with it.

I feel hopeless. I felt great around two weeks last time, and the time before, and the time before... I think it is wearing me out.

Yeah shroomy it does get worse and takes longer to recover, for me at least and many others say the same thing.
The longer of a time period you are using opiates seems to directly correlate to how bad and how long the withdrawal lasts.

I know what you mean about feeling like the powerful energy reserves needed to detox are being depleted. I think that is probably true. The brain also changes. More time = more change.

I'm feeling pretty crummy too. Sorry you are so sick still. You said yourself that these are the worst days (8-12) so hopefully you will start feeling better today. I think you should consider a slow taper off the comfort Med's you have been using. Withdrawal from some of those might be just as bad or adding to how you are feeling. Slow and easy is the best way to go.

If you think you are going to relapse on prescription day anyway then you should really consider getting a plan together and have your brother give you your daily medications for awhile and detox off everything a little more slowly. You are putting your body through a lot. Get yourself used to being stable. I hope you feel better real soon.

3 Weeks removed from Hydrocodone use for 4 years

Hey guys I used Hydrocodone 40-50 Mgs for about 4 years at least 5 times a week. I am exactly 3 weeks from quitting cold turkey. I don't have cravings at all but still feel awful at certain times during the day. Some nausea, head pressure, dizzy just way off. (feels like a virus sometimes during the day) Then sometimes during the day I feel more like normal. Can anyone relate or give me some advice? I am never going back but want to feel better.

Yeah shroomy it does get worse and takes longer to recover, for me at least and many others say the same thing.
The longer of a time period you are using opiates seems to directly correlate to how bad and how long the withdrawal lasts.

I know what you mean about feeling like the powerful energy reserves needed to detox are being depleted. I think that is probably true. The brain also changes. More time = more change.

I'm feeling pretty crummy too. Sorry you are so sick still. You said yourself that these are the worst days (8-12) so hopefully you will start feeling better today. I think you should consider a slow taper off the comfort Med's you have been using. Withdrawal from some of those might be just as bad or adding to how you are feeling. Slow and easy is the best way to go.

If you think you are going to relapse on prescription day anyway then you should really consider getting a plan together and have your brother give you your daily medications for awhile and detox off everything a little more slowly. You are putting your body through a lot. Get yourself used to being stable. I hope you feel better real soon.

I'm hoping someone is still here on this thread. I have a few questions. I posted back in August and fell on my face before I even got started. I continued using pills and kept telling myself that the docs wanted me to. In October my lil brother took his life and I have been just clutching these pills as a life line. It has taken me over 5 months to get back to even being willing to give up the pills. If I don't I'm gonna follow him. I know and feel it every day. I was prescribed 10mg oxycontin twice daily and two 5mg hydrocodone, I also usually add in another 15mg of oxycodone. I told my doctor that while i had been unable to get to pharmacy for two days I had been able to borrow and get by on 4 oxycodone. She was more than willing to change my meds considering I was reducing it. It's now been 13 days without the oxycontin or hydro and I want to find a way to come off the last 4pills a day. I expected to have more withdrawal symptoms that I did as I've been taking these for almost 7years. I was achy, exhausted and randomly felt sick but no vomiting. I'm assuming this is due to still having the 20mg a day. I can't comment on depression as I think in as low as I can get these last few months. Shouldn't dropping these two meds have been far worse? Can anyone tell me the best way to go from here, maybe taper? Would cold turkey be similar to what I just experienced, or still far worse?

So you're taking 35mg oxy/ day and 10mg hydro? Now youre at 20mg oxy/day ?

If ^that's the case I wouldnt imagine you'd feel many wd symptoms, perhaps slightly.

Cold turkey will hurt, I'd def taper down, maybe even see if your doc is willing to script you diazepam or clonidine.

ss373dOH, that's correct I'm now on just 20mg of oxycodone. It's weird but I'm really relieved to be away from the 12hr. I had assumed that would have been the hard part for me. For whatever reason that has given me some hope as well as focused energy. I definitely want to try to taper, bit just don't want to do it in a way that I more or less make myself nuts. I figured someone here might be able to explain the best way or timing. My docs aren't going to assist as both feel meds are needed. They may be right to some degree but I need to feel something again, beyond anger n numbness if that makes sense.

Hey guys question for you
I?m prescribed 120mg OxyContin twice a day I?ve ran out two days early but made it down to one day I?ve never took lope but have twenty two mg pills and a few pregabalin how many lope should I take to stave away the withdrawal which is bad v

After hours of debating with friends I decided to come to good old Bluelight for opinions, so hear goes:
If a heavy iv heroin user wants to kick going the subutex route, wouldn't tapering down to nearly chipping status on the h, then taking immediately (no waiting to 24 hrs) small amount of Subutex (not suboxone) serve as a smonth transition to sub maintenance?
If you think about it, it makes sense. Bupe is a partial agonist, fills all of the receptors, etc. Your brain is used to having some kind of junk in its receptors. If you were to induct that way or on the flip side, you could try this: Curb usage, then start taking tinty, TINY crumbs of Subutex and the brain won't know the difference. And there go go! Smooth opiate kick!

Check this out: I've been cheeking 150mcg fentanyl patches every 48 hours for six years. Yes they have been used for 48 hours, but they sure do the trick. I am also prescribed 4 15mg IR oxycodones a day. Because I have the fent, I look at it as though I have 60 "extra" oxys. I use them to try to get high, give some away, etc.

The thing is that the family member who gives me the fent is losing her prescription in one month. Now, I'm already at the point where I don't want to be AWAKE on the "oxy days." I only feel right on that fentanyl.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?
How rough will the transition be?

And here is a big question: how does, say, 8mg of sub compare to 60mg of oxy? I've been on suboxone before but it's been a long time.

I'm no hero and I feel like I flat out just do better on opiates. If the sub works better than the oxy, I sure might jump on that.

Oxycodone ~> Buprenorphine
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/564885

What do you mean when you say "The thing is that the family member who gives me the fent is losing her prescription in one month. Now, I'm already at the point where I don't want to be AWAKE on the "oxy days." I only feel right on that fentanyl."?

A little confused about that. For instance, what do you mean by awake?

Taper with methadone

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but I had posted a thread on the main board of ODD and I think my question is much better suited to go in this thread so I'll post my question as part of this thread instead. So here it goes.

So, a short resume of my story.

I've had an opioid addiction to dilaudid and this led me to taking methadone 3 years ago. I started at around 75mg but even tho I was taking methadone, I'd still buy and use dilaudid on the first year. I understood that the effect were almost non-existant due to the block that the methadone offers but I'd still do it for the 10-15 seconds rush but even that was toned down by the methadone so after about 8 months I decided to delete everyone of my dealers from my phone and try to take the detox more seriously, and it worked well, until last month.

The goal was that if I don't have access to diladid then I won't have a problem, but I still though in my head that this was just ignorining the problem and putting it away, I wanted to be able to have access to dilaudid, even have them in my possession, and be able to not use them or at least not abuse them in a way that would cause me to become addicted (assuming I ever get out of this first addiction)

But last month my coed came back from surgery at the hospital and they had given him dilaudid 1mg for pain. I didn't know about it at that time but not long after that he came to me to ask me if he should keep them or throw them away since he didn't needed them so I offered to buy them from him. Shortly after, I tried dilaudid again with my usual method, IV and it didn't take long that I had finished all the pills he had given me. The effects were much better than what I remembered because I used to have 75mg methadone back then but it's been 3 years since that time and now my methadone has lowered to 22mg.

I ended up finishing them all quickly and getting more from a contact I remembered. I don't know exactly what I was thinking, probably just thinking about now and not later because I just though that I could simply stop at any time and the methadone would make this go smoothly. I took in total around 275mg of hydromorphone in the past 3 weeks and everytime I've tried to stop, I've felt withdrawals that were really uncomfortable. Sure the first 6 to 8 hours after taking methadone feels ok though I have sudden sweats that lasts around 10 minutes but the evenings, mornings and nights are a nightmare unless I take a pill. What scared me a bit is that yesterday, 8 hours after taking a 2mg injection I started shaking uncontrollably like it was freezing cold and I did feel a bit cold but putting on more clothes did not help and even taking another 2mg did not make the shaking stop. It ended up stoppig after 35-40 minutes.

When I understood just stoping would not work I started taking a bit less each day with what I had left but now I'm a bit scared because I have only 4 pills left (4mg ills) and I'm scared that I won't be able to go back to just taking methadone like before withough being really sick of that things like yesterday happen again and I'm not sure which option is the best for me.

Should I get more pills and try to plan ahead for a taper plan that would be stretched over a couple of weeks or should I ask my doctor to increase my dosage of methadone just to get rid of the pills I have and then go back down to what I was or should I try to taper off using the 4 pills I have with a better method ???

I've heard some people used anti-diharrea medecine to taper but I tried that 3-4 years ago and it didn't work at all for me. I also heard about bupe but I have no idea how to get it or even what it does. All I know is when I got into my clinic they asked me if I wanted to be on the methadone program or the suboxone program and I choose the methadone. If I remember correctly, they said that using both would not work and would actually cause precipitated w/ds.

Any help would be very welcome.

Also, I just read another thread on this forum and it seems what I've experienced was something called coton fever... it's weird because I've used new materials and a fresh cotton but I had pre-prepared the shot... maybe that caused a bacteria to form inside the solution ?

Is it safe to pre-prepare a syringe of water-dilaudid solution for injection? And if theres risks, can we minimize the risks by using the shot faster ? AKA: less than 12 hours after preparing it or something ? I had prepared mine about 36 hours in advance. (What I did is I cut my pills and mixed them with water and then I filled 8 syringes and put them in a container that I hid in my bag. Whenever I was feeling like I needed a hit, i'd take my bag to the nearest bathroom wherever I'm at and I can come out as quick as if I had just pee'd normally. But is it safe?

TL;DR

3 Years ago I was on methadone 75mg, Today I'm on 22mg and going down steady. Relapsed 3 weeks ago and took 275mg diladid in course of 3 weeks. My current methadone dosage (22mg) is not helping me to come down of the dilaudid I took. Only got 4 pills left and need to know what to do to best get out of this and back on my daily methadone useage route, tried loperamide and it didn't help. Experienced Cotton fever yesterday and was curious to know if a 36 hours old pre-prepared shot could be the cause and if pre-preparing shots in syringes was safe.

I mean that I am so addicted to the fent that i basically don't want to exist when I'm not on it. I'm on the used patches every other day and the oxy on the off days. I spend most of the oxy days asleep.

How sick will I get losing the fent? I WILL have 60mg of oxy a day, just no more fent.

^^ I had a boyfriend who was badly addicted to chewing those patches. Yeah, the withdrawal is very bad. I'm not going to lie. It was over with fairly quickly though so just hang tough. Get yourself some entertainment, water, Gatorade, chicken noodle soup, lots of hot baths . Sweat it out.

Maybe with the 60 mg is Oxy it won't be too bad. Get off that fentanyl. That is going to kill you! He had horrific cravings for a short period of time too. You just gotta hang in there. I will be praying for you! Sending you love and support, let us know how you are.

Hi. I'm almost 23 hours without oxycodone or methadone. I've got my suboxone ready, but the more I read the more terrified I am off precipitate withdrawal. I've also got plenty of ativan, clonazepam, some lyrica, prescription Imodium (don't ask how, I won't tell, I've been building a withdraw arsenal for a while now is all that matters). I was starting to feel some withdraw symptoms, mild, goosebumps, irritability, mild hour flushing, stuffy nose. I don't have runny nose, watery eyes or yawning yet. I took a clonazepam an hour ago and the mild symptoms subsided. I'm trying to go as long as I can without the methadone, it's freaking me out... bad. My regular daily intake is 30mg methadone, 120mg oxycodone, with days where you could x that amount by 10, but not on a regular basis. I don't know if I should just sedate myself with all the benzo's until I got 48 hours of no methadone, I'm basically trying to avoid withdrawal, especially precipitated withdraw. If it wasn't for withdrawal I would have quit a long time ago. I'm an RN, so I'm very knowledgeable on the benzo's, max dosages, etc. But I'm not familiar with withdrawal or suboxone. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I forgot I also have 5 adderrall Er 25mg left, and took 1 today with the clonazepam.