• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official Super Bowl thread

Although the road to the Super Bowl was tainted and questionable, the bottom line is they made it. They beat 3 tough teams on the road in the playoffs to get there. They are a decent team afterall.

Props to Rothy, he's an Ohio kid, so I can respect that. It's unfortunate that the only way they got there was by taking out Carson Palmer in the 1st week of the playoffs, because that game will forever taint their SuperBowl victory.

Still, they played great in the Super Bowl, got a few lucky breaks (every team does that wins the Super Bowl), and did just enough to beat Seattle.

Now that the season is finally over, I'm ready for March Madness!!!

smotpoker said:
Props to Rothy, he's an Ohio kid, so I can respect that. It's unfortunate that the only way they got there was by taking out Carson Palmer in the 1st week of the playoffs, because that game will forever taint their SuperBowl victory.

I'm sorry, did you just say the fact that the Steelers injured Palmer is a reason to taint their SuperBowl victory?

=D

Axl, I'm just pissed dude. Blowin off some steam. What I guess I was trying to say is if Palmer would've stayed healthy that whole game the Bengals would've beat the Steelers that day. Hell, the first offensive play from scrimmage was a 65 yrd pass from Palmer to TJ, which would have set the tone for the rest of the game. The Bengals were about to light the Steelers up that day, until the Steelers realized this and panicked, took out Carson, and the rest is history.

You try and tell me that if Maddox played that whole game that Pitt still would've won, PALEASE!

no, if Maddox was out of the game Charlie Batch would have played and most likely he would have been successful. I hated that Palmer went out that way, as did most Steelers fans. it is not the way to win a game. but Palmer was all you had, you cannot ride the tide on one man. the Bengals had no running game and the Steelers shut down Chad Johnson ALL THREE games they played him.

the Steelers beat the Bengals once before with their golden boy and they could have done it again. the Bengals would not have gone far in the playoffs without a running game and solid line corps.

don't put all your eggs in one basket.

You mean to tell me that Rudi over 1,500 yrds rushing this year Johnson isn't a good running attack?

Are you kidding me?

Axl, of course the NFL will back up the refs in the Superbowl. The calls that are in question weren't illegal calls....they were just bitchy ticky-tack calls. That doesn't mean they aren't within the rules to make them, since the NFL rules are pretty open for interpretation to begin with. I do suspect the competition committee will discuss this situation in more detail, however, and will want to avoid another Superbowl dominated by discussion about officiating.

Bringing up the Colts game vs. this one is a bit ridiculous because that was one erronous replay reversal that ultimately didn't give away the Pittsburgh lead. It's a completely different situation.

As for the complaining of refs, I'd prefer not to do it, but in a game like this, it has to be discussed because it played such a big impact on the game. Could Seattle have won anyway with those bad calls going against them? Sure...but all this rhetoric about champion teams overcoming bad calls to win the Superbowl is a bit too vague. Can anyone who said that recall a time when a team had to overcome at least 5 ticky-tack calls that really changed the momentum of the game, in the Superbowl no less? I personally cannot. Had Seattle done that, it would've been one of the most remarkable Superbowl wins in NFL history.

Holmgren definitely shouldn't have talked about the refs the way he did, though I guess I can understand him doing that during a Seahawks rally to get a pop from the crowd. Still, not really something he should be saying even if he feels he was jobbed.

And yes, in the end the Steelers are the champs...it just so happened the Superbowl win was one of the ugliest we've seen in a long time and will always carry the weight of an officiating debate whether we like it or not.

smotpoker said:
You mean to tell me that Rudi over 1,500 yrds rushing this year Johnson isn't a good running attack?

Are you kidding me?

a runningback is only as good as his offensive line. and in the Bengal's case - that's not very good. they were a good pass-pro line but were horrible on the run block.

glowbug said:
Apparently several former pros with years of experience (including two HOFers if you count Steve Young as a virtual certainty), thought the officiating stunk also.

heh I just caught this.

Damnit Todd...he already IS a HOFer...went in this year w/ Marino among others.