The Official SIED Coronavirus Thread v. My Nuts & City is shutdown

Anyone else having real trouble motivating during lockdown? Going on my daily run used to be something I just did without a second thought. I feel like I really have to drag myself out the door anymore. Once I start it’s all good but damn I’m never been in such a slump with my training like this before
Same here man. I'm holding on to the fact some gyms are opening in a neighboring state (about 45 minutes from me) this week. So that's keeping me motivated for now.

Same here man. I'm holding on to the fact some gyms are opening in a neighboring state (about 45 minutes from me) this week. So that's keeping me motivated for now.
The funny thing is, I'm not even that much of a gym rat. I pretty much only run and I'll do some calisthenics at home a couple times a week. Yet I still find myself being a slug. The lack of a routine and things to do (my semester just ended) has me feeling lazy as hell.

Anyone else having real trouble motivating during lockdown? Going on my daily run used to be something I just did without a second thought. I feel like I really have to drag myself out the door anymore. Once I start it’s all good but damn I’m never been in such a slump with my training like this before

Yes the current earth events along with some poor personal coping mechanisms have greatly reduced my motivation. It is very difficult I can't wait for the gym to open back up might actually save my life.

Yes the current earth events along with some poor personal coping mechanisms have greatly reduced my motivation. It is very difficult I can't wait for the gym to open back up might actually save my life.
I hope you get that routine you've been needing man. We all gotta avoid slipping back into our old habits. Lord knows I did at the start

Yeah I got like this at the beginning of April, I went back to making myself a 3 point to do lists for each day (something my councillor advised me to do when I got into a slump), makes things more manageable and got me going again pretty quickly :) the list can be anything, like getting out of bed before a specific time to writing your memoirs haha.

Hope that helps a bit?

Yeah I got like this at the beginning of April, I went back to making myself a 3 point to do lists for each day (something my councillor advised me to do when I got into a slump), makes things more manageable and got me going again pretty quickly :) the list can be anything, like getting out of bed before a specific time to writing your memoirs haha.

Hope that helps a bit?
I second this. I put together a daily to-do list to ensure I get things done. Once school is out for this semester though (this is finals week) it's gonna free up a bunch of time. I'll be back in the gym next week and focusing on dieting down for the summer and getting out and about for walks and stuff though to take up time. Some state parks are open now too so I can check those out

Ok, so have been running 500sust/500DHB for a couple weeks and working out at home. Lighter weights, high reps, etc. Awkward setups. And I can say that at least for me, I cannot get that crispness unless I'm really moving heavy weight. And I really wish I had an incline setup for chest instead of just laying on a coffee table. I feel good and pumped and whatnot, but it is just not the same. And my legs have atrophied so much because I seem to need to do proper squats with high frequency to maintain my legs. I can make a 145lb dumbbell out of plates and do sumo squats with it, but even that doesnt seem to be working very well.

Luckily I work in an industry where I'm making more money during the lockdown. But even if I wanted to buy a rack, everything seems to be sold out :(

Ahh shit, totally forgot about finals week!! Will students still be expected to sit an exam even if they are self isolating?

That's great the gyms and parks are opening!!

Still not really able to do too much in the way of in gym training here in the UK yet.

Ok, so have been running 500sust/500DHB for a couple weeks and working out at home. Lighter weights, high reps, etc. Awkward setups. And I can say that at least for me, I cannot get that crispness unless I'm really moving heavy weight. I feel good and pumped and whatnot, but it is just not the same. And my legs have atrophied so much because I seem to need to do proper squats with high frequency to maintain my legs. I can make a 145lb dumbbell out of plates and do sumo squats with it, but even that doesnt seem to be working very well.

Luckily I work in an industry where I'm making more money during the lockdown. But even if I wanted to buy a rack, everything seems to be sold out :(

Legs has been a pain to train here too!!

Just been doing walking lunges up and down the driveway in shuttles till I hit about 50-60m, hurts like foook but you get a solid pump. Started to do more single leg work too, RLDs, Bulgarians and reverse lunges, I know its not the same but it definitely has slowed atrophy down for me.

Ahh shit, totally forgot about finals week!! Will students still be expected to sit an exam even if they are self isolating?

That's great the gyms and parks are opening!!

Still not really able to do too much in the way of in gym training here in the UK yet.
My finals are online thankfully. Even most of summer class have been moved online and some converted to 4 week long classes from July-August. As for the gyms and state parks, that's one of the beauties of living in the states is that each level of government is responsible for their own laws and regulations. It's a blessing and a curse though as you can literally go one city over and things can be different (we have dry counties where booze can't be sold, back in theday cities were responsible for smoking laws in public places, etc) or the big thing now is concealed carry for firearms.

Hope that helps a bit?
I took your advice and it did help today! I’m starting a couple courses in MIT opencourseware so that my brain stays fresh and I got through the first lectures for both. Unfortunately, I layed down for a quick nap before my trail run and then I woke up to the sun setting :( I have a real knack for turning off alarms in my sleep. Just finished up lifting some weights in my basement so I don’t feel too bad at least

My finals are online thankfully. Even most of summer class have been moved online and some converted to 4 week long classes from July-August. As for the gyms and state parks, that's one of the beauties of living in the states is that each level of government is responsible for their own laws and regulations. It's a blessing and a curse though as you can literally go one city over and things can be different (we have dry counties where booze can't be sold, back in theday cities were responsible for smoking laws in public places, etc) or the big thing now is concealed carry for firearms.

That's good that you aren't being held back from your exams by this isolation business. How are you feeling about them?

Oh wow, I had no idea that local governments had that much authority. It's going to be awesome to get back into the gym again.

I took your advice and it did help today! I’m starting a couple courses in MIT opencourseware so that my brain stays fresh and I got through the first lectures for both. Unfortunately, I layed down for a quick nap before my trail run and then I woke up to the sun setting :( I have a real knack for turning off alarms in my sleep. Just finished up lifting some weights in my basement so I don’t feel too bad at least

Nice one man, I'm glad that this helped. That's awesome you're getting those courses done :) what subject are the courses in? Had a mate from my undergrad who went to MIT for a year abroad, he loved it, said it was one of the best places he's ever been to.

Hahaa that's not such a bad thing, you clearly needed the rest.

That's good that you aren't being held back from your exams by this isolation business. How are you feeling about them?

Oh wow, I had no idea that local governments had that much authority. It's going to be awesome to get back into the gym again.

Nice one man, I'm glad that this helped. That's awesome you're getting those courses done :) what subject are the courses in? Had a mate from my undergrad who went to MIT for a year abroad, he loved it, said it was one of the best places he's ever been to.

Feeling pretty good about them. I already finished one of my classes (teacher let us take final early if we felt ready lol) and finished the course with an A. Got a PowerPoint presentation to do over increasing patient adherence to prescribed exercises (think physical therapy) i gotta do today which will be cake. And then a real exam for exercise physiology tomorrow which shouldn't be bad. The plus of online classes is being able to "use your resources" when taking tests lol.

I'm doing Linear Algebra and Intro to CS/Python. I HIGHLY recommend you check out MIT Opencourseware if you're not familiar with it. They basically publish lecture videos (and sometimes even full class materials like HW, problem sets, exams etc.) for all to use. You aren't awarded any credits or anything like that but as you might imagine it's a great way to learn anything you've been curious about.

Feeling pretty good about them. I already finished one of my classes (teacher let us take final early if we felt ready lol) and finished the course with an A. Got a PowerPoint presentation to do over increasing patient adherence to prescribed exercises (think physical therapy) i gotta do today which will be cake. And then a real exam for exercise physiology tomorrow which shouldn't be bad. The plus of online classes is being able to "use your resources" when taking tests lol.
Yeah I lucked out that my exams were "open note". Some of my mates had to use a proctoring service using your webcam. No thanks for me lol

That's awesome @Serotonin101 top work!! So is it physio that you're currently studying? Open book will be good, had one like that for a Neurodegeneration Module in my MSc, sounds like you'll crush it man!

I'm doing Linear Algebra and Intro to CS/Python. I HIGHLY recommend you check out MIT Opencourseware if you're not familiar with it. They basically publish lecture videos (and sometimes even full class materials like HW, problem sets, exams etc.) for all to use. You aren't awarded any credits or anything like that but as you might imagine it's a great way to learn anything you've been curious about.

Damn that sounds pretty hardcore, had to take a course in Mplus for several stats methods back in Jan and think my brain is still fried a bit haha. I'll take a look, need to practice Multilevel Modelling and Latent Growth Curve Modelling at some point, so if they have it on there that will be class. Haha you lucked out on your exams too.

Damn that sounds pretty hardcore, had to take a course in Mplus for several stats methods back in Jan and think my brain is still fried a bit haha. I'll take a look, need to practice Multilevel Modelling and Latent Growth Curve Modelling at some point, so if they have it on there that will be class. Haha you lucked out on your exams too.
Can I ask what you're studying?

Yeah sure, I am currently doing a PhD looking at performance enhancing drugs, in particular anabolic steroids :) and looking at the psychological factors that accompany their use. Really want to try and get the work I'm doing recognised so that my research group can do more work with harm reduction and support services to deliver a service specific to users needs, and if possible try to educate healthcare professionals. They don't seem to have a good (or any) understanding about steroids at all, cost me a trip to ICU back in 2017.

Want to go into teaching medical students (eventually) and hopefully from what I find as a researcher, enlighten them a bit about gear. All the med school students here I've spoken to know sweet FA and its worrying, probably explains why my GP fucked up so badly.

That's a very interesting (and helpful) thing to study. What sort of methodologies are used in your area of research?

And yeah haha med students seem to know very little about most illicit drugs. I'm still working on my undergraduate degree but many of my classmates in my major are pre med students. Some of them have never even heard the term harm reduction in their life. You would think that they would be interested at least somewhat in that area of medical care but it seems at this age it's more fantasies of being a neurosurgeon