• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official NCAA 2005-2006 Basketball thread

smotpoker

Bluelighter
Even thou it's already January, I'm having football withdrawal symptoms, so I figure I'll start an NCAA B-Ball thread.

Teams that have impressed me so far:

Indiana
Duke
Villanova
Ohio State
and as of late...my hometown WRIGHT STATE RAIDERS heehee

Teams that have been overrated or a disapointment:

Kentucky
Michigan State
and Texas

West Virginia is by far the most peculiar team so far. Early on they looked like a joke, but the way they've been playing late makes them look like the team I was hoping to see earlier this year.

Since many on here seem to have something against making bold predictions, I will give mine:

The Final Four this year will be Indiana, Ohio State, Washington, and Duke.
I don't know who I think will win it all yet, I'll prolly make my mind up in late February.

So what does everyone else have to say on NCAA Basketball this year?

Teams that have impressed me so far:
Marquette
Duke
Connecticut (especially Armstrong, where did that guy come from? he sat on the bench the past 3 years!)
LSU
Pitt

Syracuse
Gonzaga (i like this team a lot, but think the AP ranking of 6 with their current 13-3 record is overrated)
UCLA

& I agree about West Virginia.

possible final 4?
Duke, Connecticut, Illinois & Gonzaga (pretty random, but i find it almost impossible to project how a team plays in january with how they may play in march)

Does anyone follow womens NCAA basketball?
i have to say that after watching Connecticut play LSU, that LSU was way... way overrated.

wow, how good of a conference does the Big Ten look? it is most certainly the most elite college conference with Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. they are going to have many at-large bids come tournament time!!

the Big East has also impressed me, and the SEC has Duke... so they have to be considered good.

Go Buckeyes!

AxL BLaZe said:
wow, how good of a conference does the Big Ten look? it is most certainly the most elite college conference with Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. they are going to have many at-large bids come tournament time!!

the Big East has also impressed me, and the SEC has Duke... so they have to be considered good.

Go Buckeyes!
Dude, you can't really expect us to take you seriously as a college hoops fan when you don't even know that Duke is in the ACC. ;)

I'd rate both the Big East and the ACC over the Big 10 right now. Some folks are projecting that the Big East, with 16 teams and a strong representation this year, will be the first conference ever to send more than 7 teams. And the ACC still took the ACC-Big 10 Challenge this year even in a down year.

^ all you southern conferences sound alike!

and if you want to be extra picky I left out Illinois in my Big 10 mention, I would take them over Duke this year. Duke almost got upset by NC State, who was playing strong with their big men this game. they came through and had tremendous help in the crowd as usual.

According to last night's game, the RPG has the BIG 10 ranked #1 in the rankings. ACC was #2.

I mean, it really shouldn't come as a surprise. Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, which is more than Half of the conference, are all top 25 teams.

And Michigan's knocking on the door of the Top 25.

Did anyone else watch the OSU-Sconsin game last night?

Although they won by 10, they gotta start getting the ball inside more.

I know they love two shoot the 3, but that's what hurt them against MSU, and for the first half of the game against the Badgers, they weren't living by the 3, they were dying by it.

^ yes, I watched it. I made sure to heckle the Badger fans as they walked past my house and into the Schott ;)

That's great!!!!!! I did the same for the Michigan State game, but it was shitty afterwords.

FiatFlux said:
UCLA

Does anyone follow womens NCAA basketball?

How in the world is UCLA a disappointment? They are basically playing freshmen and sophomores, with nearly half the team being injured at some point and two key starters out for a lengthy number of games and/or out for the season, not to mention having 5 regular contributors out of the rotation for most of the season so far. Their young fellas are growing up fast, and considering the limited amount of time this team's played together, I'm ecstatic about what direction the Bruins are headed.

You also broke rule 734a of the official sports fan handbook: Upon a social sports discourse and/or discussion, the subject of women's basketball must be disallowed, for its power to damage healthy and progressive sports discussion is far too potent.

LapDawg said:
You also broke rule 734a of the official sports fan handbook: Upon a social sports discourse and/or discussion, the subject of women's basketball must be disallowed, for its power to damage healthy and progressive sports discussion is far too potent.
I would go so far as to say that women should be prohibited from even touching a basketball. It should be akin to Muslim women wearing a veil, and violation of the rule should carry a similar punishment.

A basketball goal should be like the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and a basketball the fruit itself to women, strictly off-limits. Eve dared stray over the line, and look what it got us.

I think it's funny when they announce a womens game as being sold out, and then you look at the arena and notice that the whole top half is closed off. Who are they trying to joke? It's sold out when half of the seats are closed off!

1. it said OVERRATED or a disappointment. i think UCLA is overrated....... BECAUSE they are so young and inexperienced at the college level as a whole.

oh, and very clever insults about women's basketball, guys... i can hold my own on the court in any pick up game and 95% of the people i play against are men.

^^I wouldn't want to watch 95% of male pickup players play a game either unless I was actively involved. And the general caliber of pickup play certainly wouldn't merit serious discussion.

But while men's college hoops is at least worthy of watching and discussion, even women's PRO hoops is torturous to watch. I've never been able to force myself to watch it long enough to discuss it at length anyway. ;)

Overrated? How in the hell are they overrated? ;) It's not like they're sitting in the top 10 or anything...sheesh. I don't know what you expect from the young guys the Bruins have, but what I'm seeing is just some inexperience and youth separating them from being a top 8 team in the country. There's much to be excited about with this squad when their growth will be noticed on the national level.

As for women's basketball...it's not that I don't respect it or anything. It's just a little too sluggish and rigid for me as I prefer more flair and athletic amazement...something like Kobe's 81 (Wow) tonight.

Hell, I have a hard time watching men's college basketball more often than not. :D

Yeah seriously, I like women for mating and whatnot but women's basketball is even more boring that going to weekly AA meetings.

WacoWas AnAccident said:

Yeah seriously, I like women for mating and whatnot but women's basketball is even more boring that going to weekly AA meetings.

Yeah, but women's basketball players are more anonymous.

^ Sad but true. :( Sheryl Swoops' lesbian "shocker" didn't even raise an eyebrow.

UCLA overrated? Did you see beating they gave USC the other night? It's been a rocky season but I see a lot of potential in this team, and I've stopped hating on Howland. :\

Conference USA Criticizes Refs for Penders Technical

has anyone heard about this? I am near speechless.

HOUSTON -- Conference USA said Monday that officials "exercised poor judgment" when they upheld a technical foul called on Houston coach Tom Penders after he collapsed Saturday during a game against UAB.

Penders passed out on the sideline late in the first half of Houston's 82-79 loss and was carried off the floor on a stretcher and given oxygen. He returned to coach the second half.

Penders dropped to his knees and then fell face-down as UAB's Wen Mukubu drove to the basket and was fouled by Oliver Lafayette with 52 seconds left in the half and UAB leading 46-44. Officials called a technical foul on Penders, apparently thinking he was reacting to the foul call. But the game stopped, and the crowd hushed when Penders didn't get up.

Penders, 60, has cardiomyopathy, a congenital heart condition, and had a defibrillator implanted in his chest in 1997. Houston officials attributed the incident to Penders' heart condition and dehydration.

Officials refused to reverse the technical after Penders received medical attention, and UAB's Carldell "Squeaky" Johnson made both free throws.

"Commissioner [Britton] Banowsky and I have reviewed the tape of the play in question, and it appears that the crew exercised poor judgment in sustaining the technical foul following the medical condition that arose for Coach Penders," C-USA assistant commissioner Chris Woolard said in a statement. "We have been in consultation this morning with Dale Kelley, our coordinator of officials, and appropriate action will be taken."

The conference will not release what sanctions, if any, it decides to impose, a spokesman said.

"I appreciate the conference office acting upon my request to review the matter and their willingness to hold officials accountable for their work," Houston athletic director Dave Maggard said.

Penders did not realize he had been called for a technical until after the game. When he found out, he said the call was "extremely poor judgment on the officials' part."

SOURCE = http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2303510