Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Official BL Cricket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what can I say? My gf went to sleep at lunchtime when she saw 434 on the board and I was inclined to join her. But to give my team the benefit of the doubt I carried on watching. Well I am just glad to have been part of the most amazing one day game ever to have been played.

I must take my hat of too you guys though, well done!

but

GO SOUTH AFRICA!!!!=D

Absolutely fucking unbelievable. That is such an awesome result. Go RSA!

Gibbs is an absolute legend. And good on Smith - backing up his words with actions. A truly unbelievable match. I watched the Australian innings but when I woke up I was just absolutely stunned to see the result. S t u n n e d.

First test underway and SA looking a little shaky, de Villiers and Smith both gone for fuck all.

Glad to see Smith's woeful test form continuing =D=D=D. Clark is becoming somewhat of a nemesis for him...

No McGill in the side. Pretty suprising, it seemed everyone just assumed australia would play the 2 spinners. Seems Clark is bowling fairly well and Kasper is doing a pretty good job too. Australia will be pretty happy I think when they dismiss Boucher, he is the real danger man and I think the Aussies will be feeling a lot more comfortable when they see the back of him, even though they are already well and truely on top.

Beech

swifty said:
The real winner last night was Cricket.

I'm not sure it was. I don't think this game will go down as the "greatest ever played"....i wouldn't even put it in my top 10. All it did was highlighted the ineptitude of both teams' bowling/fielding attacks.

Donny Don't said:
I'm not sure it was. I don't think this game will go down as the "greatest ever played"....i wouldn't even put it in my top 10. All it did was highlighted the ineptitude of both teams' bowling/fielding attacks.

It still requires some special performances to score that many runs - and there were several standout performances. Sure, it was a small ground, the bowlers didn't do that well, but it was a good batting wicket. And for me, I thought the fielding was actually of a very good standard throughout (with the exception of Bracken's quite shitty catch attempt).

I think I tend to agree with Donny to some degree. I think it is a landmark game with some new records set and yeah it will be remembered for that. For me a great game of cricket is when a wide range of cricket skills are show cased and there is something for everyone in the game. It probably sounds like I'm being a one eyed aussie supporter but the world cup final between aus and rsa was a great game, not because australia won but because it was a fine example of brilliant cricket. Same reason the ashes was such a good series, it wasn't dominated by just batsmen or just bowlers but both. For me good cricket is not a bowling attack being hammered over the fence ball after ball. I hope one dayers dont all become like the match we saw the other night, but i think it is heading in that direction where the game is so unevenly balanced in favour of the batsmen.

Beech

The S Africans took some good catches, you can't deny that.

I do agree that this isn't the best ever game though. There's more to a good game than just runs, though a reasonable number of runs is still necessary to a good game (150 v 149 is not a good game, no matter how tense it is).

I think the selectors just showed why they are selectors and I am a uni student with ill-informed opinions about cricket. Well done Stuart Clark, 9 wickets on debut a fantastic effort.

-T{H}R- said:
Hah, yet another duck for Chris Martin.

I was sort of looking forward to it when he came out to bat. Because I knew Franklin would start slogging because he would know Martin wouldn't last long. Except Martin went first ball.

Still, he's got nearly as many runs as Lara this series.

Big ovation for Lara when he came in, and again when he was dismissed. Surely the last time we will see him here. Very good to see how much the crowd appreciated him (the spirit has been excellent, the Windies are getting a lot of applause from us). But the Windies look like a disinterested mob. Decent players, but they are making no effort to force the game - they didn't take the new ball when it was due, or attack us when we lost a bunch of quick wickets - and so Astle and Vettori and Franklin put on 120 or so and took the game out of the Windies' hands.

Bad light has stopped play, but they are 60 behind with 4 men out, only Chanderpaul left and two days to play.

Bad light stops play, so it seems the only going to save SA is poor weather conditions.

As Allan Border put it, the light ruling is the biggest contradiction of terms in the game, if a team is chasing 50 runs for victory in the final session, they'll never go off for bad light, but if they're faced with 380 runs with 4 session to go, they'll take it.

All the talk recently of ponting being a bad sport now seems ludicrous in light if him setting them a good total with plenty of time to bat, and they go and take bad light with the intention of eeking out a draw. Good one SA.

yeah, all out for 427, who wouldn't though, though the pitch is pretty lifeless and the the outfield is quicker than the bullring in Jo'burg

Status
Not open for further replies.