• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Neuropharmacology of Hallucinogens V2

Great job!

I would like to second others' suggestions to publish, I mean, you did the work get it out there. There are plenty of journals that would take work of this quality regardless of the letters after your name.

Good Luck!

The Journal of Psychoactives might take it... I wouldn't want it published though, it's not good enough.

BilZ0r said:
The Journal of Psychoactives might take it... I wouldn't want it published though, it's not good enough.

That was actually my first thought as well. MAPS would probably also take it.

BilZ0r said:
I wouldn't want it published though, it's not good enough.

LOL! Not good enough he says. I can't find something better that fast.. Lot's of more people could benefit from it if MAPS or The Journal of Psychoactives were to publish it.

Last edited:
Excellent work buddy. I would suggest having it edited for grammar in person by someone you trust, though. For example, in the first sentence:

In common usage, the word "hallucinogen" has become a catchall for various pharmacologically-differing substances (e.g., cannabinoids, NMDA receptor antagonists such as ketamine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD))

• You want quotes around "hallucinogen" (otherwise you are referring to "word hallucinogens," which isn't meaningful).
  • "Catchall" is one word.
  • "Pharmacologically-differing" is a compound adjective preceding a noun and should probably be hyphenated.
  • A semicolon isn't really appropriate. More fitting would be the use of "e.g."

There are more, but unfortunately, I don't have time to edit the whole thing in this forum. :(

Very nice though! Keep up the good work!

(Edited for typos;))

Last edited:
Thanks, I really appriciate the proof-reading. Come back some time and we can see if we can get past the first couple of sentances!

I've made a few grammatical corrections (e.g., effect->affect, removal of semicolons, changes of a few commas), and a few stylistic suggestions (which I won't be offended at all if you don't take ;) ). I've only gotten through the first section so far.

BilZ0r said:
I just finished this tonight. This is the first draught. I've sent it off to erowid, so let the editing begin

The Neuropharmacology of Hallucinogens

Introduction

What Are Hallucinogens?
In common usage, the word "hallucinogen" has become a catchall for various pharmacologically-differing substances (e.g., cannabinoids, NMDA receptor antagonists such as ketamine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)). Indeed, such divergent usage can even be found in scientific texts. Without a specific definition, however, a word is essentially meaningless. In this article, the use of the term "hallucinogen" will be in reference to two groups: chemicals that are chemically and pharmacologically similar to mescaline (the phenethylamine hallucinogens (Shulgin & Shulgin, 1991)), and the chemicals that are chemically and pharmacologically similar to psilocin and LSD (the indole or tryptamine hallucinogens (Shulgin & Shulgin, 1997)). These two groups of chemicals, which at their extremes, seem to share no chemical similarities (Fig. 1A cf. Fig. 1F), have shared pharmacological targets and produce similar behavioural effects (discussed later). Hence, it is sensible to group them together.

What is in a name?
Hallucinogens produce effects in the mind so intense that they have led people to suggest other names for this group, such as "entheogen" (Ruck et al., 1979) and "psychotomimetic" (Hoffer, 1967). "Entheogen" is derived from the Greek enthos, which means “god within,” and is in reference to the spiritual and deep effect hallucinogens can have on the mind, while "psychotomimetic" means “psychosis mimicking,” and refers to the way that hallcinogenic intoxication is similar to schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. These two descriptions illustrate why the study of hallucinogens is important. An understanding of how hallucinogens affect thought could help explain not only how mental illness affects the mind, but also the nature of consciousness itself.

P.S.--Are you sure that your etymology is correct? Wikipedia suggests:
The word entheogen is a modern term derived from two Ancient Greek words, åíèåïò (entheos) and ãåíåóèáé (genesthai). Entheos means literally "in God", more freely translated "inspired". The Greeks used it as a term of praise for poets and other artists. Genesthai means "to cause to be". So an entheogen is "that which causes (a person) to be in God". The translation "creating the divine within" that is sometimes given is not quite correct -- entheogen implies neither that something is created (as opposed to just perceiving something that is already there) nor that that which is experienced is within the user (as opposed to having independent existence).
(Unfortunately, I lost the formatting in the paste).

I think it's a bit poor in comparison to pubmed...
Yeah, erowid has it up here.

Oh, and thanks for the editing Talisman, I've added your corrections.