Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Megathread The Netflix Mega-thread vs Netflix Originals Suck

I_Hate_This_Place

Bluelighter
It just felt to me like he was doing a bad impression of Jim Carey doing the role.

98% of mine is on the computer while I'm doing other stuff (playing on the phone or another screen, avoiding my day job, etc). I can't remember the last time I was focused on what I was watching. 🤷

I don't spend time on 'fluff'. However, I have lost many hours of my life to watching utterly horrible films, unable to stop until the end solely for the 'dont let it win' defiance and suffering. I'm a sadist that way, not seeking out crap, but finding it often and not dropping it until the end. :D

Cheers.
You hit that nail right on the head! That's what that character was reminding me of & I wasn't realizing it. I had a friend that was crazier than a shit house rat (not his fault, he had a brain tumor but I digress) that was really into Jim Carey films & would "act" like him. That's were I was getting the body language thing from. It reminded me of my crazy friend / Jim Carey. Thanks for mentioning it & helping me to connect the dots. I don't know why but I'd completely spaced on that connection. :LOL:

I think the last time I really focused on what I was watching was 'Attack on Titan'. I quite enjoy that particular anime & am looking forward to the final season! <3 The backstory is complicated (& long) enough that for me anyway I want to be paying attention to get the most out of it. Other than that example I can't think of to much that I actually focus on. :unsure:

I think I may have used the wrong word in choosing to use the word "fluff". I meant it in more visual terms. As an example the movie I watched last night 'Shadow' fits the bill. The plot / storyline didn't really hold up all that well (often the case with movies based on books) & I wasn't impressed with most of the acting but I didn't mind watching it. I quite enjoyed the visual style though. I really should have chosen a different word. What I was trying to say is that I try to make sure the films I watch during dinner fall into a category were even if the plot / film itself turns out to be not quite up to par that the visuals end up being "cool" enough that I don't mind watching. Basically I'll try to watch stuff that even if the movie isn't up to par in some regards I can still come away from feeling like "Well at least the *insert visual (aliens, creatures, animation, etc). were worth seeing." type thing. :)

Apparently I have a similar experience with utterly horrible films. I to have wasted to many hours with the same defiance. ;) In my case it's exceedingly rare I don't at least try to make it through the film. Honestly I can only think of one film right off that I turned off, 'The Bad Batch'. The cast seemed decent but I just couldn't do it. I don't know if anyone else in the thread has seen the film but that's one film that I didn't make it through. I like B films, spoofs, etc. but I just didn't get 'The Bad Batch'. It just seemed BAD. 😁

Speaking of films were the visuals were a saving grace 'Shadow' would be one of those films. It's a Chinese film based upon a book. I wasn't impressed with the movie itself but there were some nice visuals. In particular the fight scenes shot top down in the rain over brick work made to look like Ying & Yang symbology was interesting. I enjoyed the visuals but the rest of the film left a lot to be desired. A much better example of what I meant when I incorrectly used the word "fluff".

Netflix. I'm not very opinionated and watch anything horror and some comedy if I've heard about it before

I consider it a good show if I can't predict the next scene. The same with films

The one thing I can't figure out is why there's so many dubbed shows. I didn't know that was a thing anymore and I won't watch. The reason I watch is to hear everything, especially voice and soundtrack. Without that I may as well read a book ;)
I see. To each there own. :) Just to clarify & make sure I'm responding correctly let me ask you this question first. I think you're referring to subbed not dubbed? To the best of my knowledge dubbed = voiced over. As opposed to subbed = translated words (subtitles). So if you like to hear all the voices you wold prefer dubbed over subbed versions of shows. The reason I ask is to clarify. As I'm not sure what it is you actually dislike? Dubbed versions of shows would have the voices. The voices just wouldn't be right IMHO at least. As such I'm not sure if you dislike dubbed shows in general or just those that are dubbed badly? :unsure:

The reason there are so many though is likely due to the fact that Netflix has a decent amount of content that is produced for / in markets other than English speaking ones. Personally I hate dubbed shows most of the time. However in my case it's not because I need to hear the voices. In my case I just find that generally speaking the dubs are terrible. In general I much prefer to watch them with subtitles. Subtitles aren't always accurate either but I'm familiar enough with them that I tend to automatically fix any improper translations as I see them in real time. As a verbal thinker subtitles end up working out good in my case. 'Attack on Titan' would be a perfect example of a show that exposes what I see as the gulf between subs & dubs. I really enjoy the show but I'm glad I started with the subtitled version! One night while I still had cable I was flipping through & ran into the show on 'Adult Swim'. I couldn't stand the dubs / voice acting. Honestly chances are that I wouldn't have watched the show had I started watching it in English. It's quite likely I might have missed out on something I would've really enjoyed had I been exposed to the Enlgish version first. In my experience there's very few shows or movies were I would prefer the dubbed version to the subbed version. As I stated to each there own though. I know there are plenty of people who prefer dubs to subs. :)

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
I think I may have used the wrong word in choosing to use the word "fluff". I meant it in more visual terms. As an example the movie I watched last night 'Shadow' fits the bill.
Thank you for clarifying. I'm ok with a sub-par film if it is visually satisfying, though I don't seek those out. Annihilation fits that description for me. It had a better than awful story and acting, but it was the visuals that made it for me. A determination I had in hindsight, nor intent beforehand.

In my case it's exceedingly rare I don't at least try to make it through the film. Honestly I can only think of one film right off that I turned off, 'The Bad Batch'.
30y ago, my friend and I walked out of Barbarians (body building twins doing a Conan type thing). We were the only ones who paid to see it. I would have stayed, but my friend wasn't for it. Aside from that, the worst film I can can recall watching, and I still didn't end it early (though I've blacked it out from memory) was Find the Lady with John Candy.

The reason there are so many though is likely due to the fact that Netflix has a decent amount of content that is produced for / in markets other than English speaking ones.
Agreed. They are having content created in other countries. I'm not sure how much of that is done to capture the regional markets, vs tapping into cheaper locations-actors-etc. It kinda works, if you can handle subs.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
Netflix. I'm not very opinionated and watch anything horror and some comedy if I've heard about it before

I consider it a good show if I can't predict the next scene. The same with films

The one thing I can't figure out is why there's so many dubbed shows. I didn't know that was a thing anymore and I won't watch. The reason I watch is to hear everything, especially voice and soundtrack. Without that I may as well read a book ;)
You can usually opt to watch in the original language with subtitles instead. I use subtitles even when I watch something in English so it’s no skin off my back lol. As I get older it’s harder and and harder to understand people when they talk.

BK38

Bluelighter
If you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend the animated series "Love, Death & Robots." It's super amazing animation with really trippy sci-fi or off the wall ideas. They can be beautiful, sad, disturbing, trippy or all of those things. They're all short, stand alone little pieces and I really think it's a great concept and very well executed. I hope it comes back with another season.

Stark

Bluelight Crew
I highly recommend the animated series "Love, Death & Robots."
I loved it too, reminded me of the best parts of The Animatrix.

Would love to see more of this anthology format, in various genres. Just let creators go with an idea, could be for short film what the pulp magazine format was for sci-fi and horror in the 40s and 50s.