View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Most Sacred Psychedelic

Ismene

Bluelighter
Anyone have any thoughts on whether one psychedelic is more sacred than another? For instance is Ayahuasca more sacred than 2c-i?

In other words, which psychedelic is most likely to make you go out and build a 100 foot square stone temple in your back garden? :)

Not sure, I haven't taken them all :D

So far, I'd say Salvia. Although shrooms (even at low doses) gave me an amazing awakening.

Changed said:
Not sure, I haven't taken them all :D

So far, I'd say Salvia. Although shrooms (even at low doses) gave me an amazing awakening.

Can we quantify this? How many feet high would you build a stone temple in honour of salvia as opposed to mushrooms? ;)

Somethings cannot be quantified. Including 'sacredness'
I would go as far to say it's not that much the psychedelic that makes something sacred, rather with what purpose it's taken, as well as the whole ritual. With ayahuasca you have the whole ritual of brewing, etc, with DOC or LSD you just lick a blotter, still all of them can give you spiritual experiences 'for sure'.

And sacredness has not necessarily to do with building stone temples.. :D :p

Sounds like a question without an answer. "Sacredness" is completely subjective if not utterly unquantifiable. Even the term itself is fluid. Is it sacred in the religious sense? Sacred as in perceived to connect one with the divine? Sacred as carrying the longest tradition of use or highest degree of ceremony? Or just personally sacred, meaning the most treasured, most beloved?

Depending on the definition, any psychedelic (the most commonly-known, the rarest, the most euphoric, the most intense and ego-splintering) could fit the bill, and it would still vary among individuals.

Not everyone who takes psychedelics encounters God, or comes to believe in a literal spirit or "message" within the substance itself. I say that not to denigrate those who do, or to minimize the value of the drug experience. But for some of us, terminology like "sacredness" is as meaningless applied to psychedelics as it is to religious dogma, notions of Biblical inerrancy, and the like.

And sacredness has not necessarily to do with building stone temples..

Try telling that to the aztecs :D

Sacred as in perceived to connect one with the divine?

Hmm...hard one to define I know...but yeah, the holiest of holies. The one that makes you feel like you are somehow in touch with a greater "divinity" or some similar bollocks.

I can't see anyone building a stone temple to worship 2c-E for example, but I can see why they might build one to ayahuasca.

I myself currently have a 50 foot stone temple to mushrooms in my back garden. The meetings with the council regarding planning permission were an absolute nightmare.

I'd build a 55.8 foot temple to LSD and a 61.3 foot temple to ketamine...and i'd throw a couple of stones on top of each other for salvia =p

Ismene said:
Can we quantify this? How many feet high would you build a stone temple in honour of salvia as opposed to mushrooms? ;)

Well the stone temple would be 100 feet high during the Salvia trip, but after the after-glow wears off, I'd tear it down.

With mushrooms, I'd build a 50 foot temple during the trip, but in the subsequent days and weeks to come, the stones would grow higher and higher. And the Temple would stay erect, unlike the Salvia shrine =D

I'd have to say ayahuasca. First of all it seems like the least recreationally used psychedelic, which tells something about its nature. Second, I consider it the most powerful mind altering substance, altough it is quite intuitive consideration. My understanding is that it binds really tightly to 5-HT 2A and propably 2C receptors compared to LSD, which binds to numerous subtypes of serotonin receptors. I think it also involves dying/soul leaving body more than other psychedelics, altough ofcourse that kind of experiences are seen with high doses of any kind of psychedelic, or with salvia. Salvia seems to me to odd and atypical to be so sacred, but I haven't succesfully broke through ever, so I have no experience on that.

I definitely agree that the term "sacredness" is entirely subjective. However, using my own feelings about what the word means, then I'd have to list a few as sacred, among the ones I've tried so far:

Mushrooms - The most "holy" and "sacred" feeling substance I've yet tried. I've never had a spiritual or emotional awakening as strongly as with mushrooms.

DMT - Also feels quite special but lacks the incredible emotional and spiritual connection and oneness that mushrooms have.

DOC - This chemical has given me some very special and remarkable experiences centered around our evolutionary heritage.

Ketamine - An amazing substance that takes us to the root of what we are.

DiPT - Has a really amazing drive and push to it that is more subtle than with the others, but is there nonetheless.

I'd include 2C-E except that it's so cold and impersonal. I find it to be perhaps deeper and more beautiful than any other substance I've tried, but the emotional connectiojn is just not there so it ends up feeling quite mechanical.

Unfortunatelty, I haven't tried ayahuasca nor 5-MeO-DMT, nor have I tried many of the substituted tryptamines (4-HO and 4-AcO) at a high enough dose to have a full experience.

DPT.

I’m not a ‘true inner light’ follower or anything but those folks are definitely on to something. It’s the only substance that consistently reveals hieroglyphs and hidden messages in every day objects. It’s also forced me to experience past and future evolution of man via constant visions that seem directed from elsewhere. It’s amazingly visionary as opposed to just visual. I’ve been allowed to witness what my mind interprets as ‘future events/objects/times’ on a regular basis. Right in my own back yard.

Definitely a ‘sacred’ once-in-a-while type experience that’s best saved for the right mood.

Mushrooms are a close second, those trips always seem to reveal some kind of ‘intelligent’ spiritual energy working in my life and after getting to know it for a few hours I feel so alive. So fulfilling!

Definitely would be the psilocybes, for me. Everytime I take mushrooms I feel like I am being bitch-slapped by God (not in a "bad" way, though, because good and bad aren't real), and I always end up feeling like they renew my sense of wonder and humility.

They are my "reset button" for Life.

dmt + salvia + ketamine taken all together. major reset button, death itself. thank you for this life.

I would say most of the completely organic (I know I could be opening a tin of worms here but I know what I mean) hallucinogens, such as psilocybe, salvinorum, mescaline, DMT, atropine/scopolamine etc. are more 'sacred' because they have a longer history of use. If you believe in the collective unconcious, then you'll understand when I say being on these chemicals (I'll omit scop/atropine- haven't used them) feels 'old', like your walking into a party/doof thats been going for thousand of millions of milleniums. Nothing gives me a feeling of the ancient like salvia though. Using these sort of things gives the sense of tapping into old wisdom, accumulated and stored- whether in the substance or our brains, I don't know.

Chemicals that push the mind out, beyond sheer introspection or physical pleasure, seem more mystical to me- i equate mystic experiences as those that are utterly tangible yet unspeakable, events that have no reality because there is no words or will never be words to describe the actual events or whatever it is- pure conceptual thought and feeling.

DMT and salvia, whilst not inspiring great works of architecture on my behalf, certainly erected great monuments in my mind.

I agree that this question is completely open to interpretation and somewhat unanswerable

however, if you're just measuring sacredness, i think that what makes natural psychedelics sacred is that they are like a gift from the universe/creator (what ever you believe) to us as intelligent beings to use them to gain an understanding of our relationship to everything. They occur naturally here on earth and deliver powerful psychedelic/spiritual experiences - that makes them sacred

As far as sacredness goes, I think that completely synthetic chemicals, such as the 2-cx's and what not, are less sacred than natural occuring hallucinogens simply because they are man made and would not exist without chemical processes in a lab. This is not to discount the experience they can deliver in any way.

First Crack then meth. Those are pretty sacred in my mind.

Haha just kidding.

If i were to build a temple for any substance it would probibly be mushrooms