• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Most Sacred Psychedelic

what does sacred mean anyway ...

Mescaline, it takes a long time to grow.

Mushrooms, we all know they are unique :).

no object can be sacred on its own, what is sacred is the combination of that object with a right-minded person.

a shallow-minded person will remain shallow-minded, regardless of any psychedelic drugs he might take. (mind you that most BL's wont classify as the above, since posting here means that al least you care about what you are indulging with...)

and someone with spiritual/philosophical/existential inquiries, who takes psychedelics for a reason other than "seeing funny colors", will probably be able to find something holy in every psychedelic he takes.

The title of this thread reminds me of a show that used to be on channel 4. You can find it in parts on youtube. Type in 'Sacred Weeds'. They do a show where people volunteer to take drugs and it shows their experiences along with historical information. Theres quite a few of them including: Fly Agarics,Salvia, Sacred Blue Lilly and Henbane. Theres more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's an interesting watch.

The most sacred psychedelic?

The first one that opens your eyes to the fact that reality is so much more than we normally perceive... everybody will have different views

Theres more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

No, they only made 4 programs and you've mentioned them all (I taped them all)

Oh right. Then happy days I've seen them all. But also saddens me that I've been looking for the other ones. In my head I reckoned I had seen a Datura one somewhere but obviously I didn't.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest after all these years :) lol

I
n other words, which psychedelic is most likely to make you go out and build a 100 foot square stone temple in your back garden?

Bloody hell Ismene the temple you speak of sounds awfully wasteful in this day and age, still if you've actually constructed it then best not waste it!

Answer ~ NONE better things to do like get contracted to build a stone temple !

^Health & safety issues with the local council ?

for me LSD has been the most enlightening, but ayahausca, and peyote are definitley something i want to try

It's a matter of taste. Ketamine has made me want to drop on my knees and worship the earth, and that is far from a natural psychoactive. Same as 2C-E. In comparison, mushrooms didn't do that well, so I could go on to say that IMO those two synthetics are less "sacred" to me.

There's definitely a culture surrounding certain substances, and a history. Many societies used ayahuasca, mushrooms, peyote, ibogaine etc.. spiritually for many years, possibly forming religious tradition around them, so of course there will be the group that thinks that shows how significantly "sacred" the psychedelic is.

Then there are (many) psychedelics that have been very recently discovered, but who is to say they are not sacred? IMO it's all about how you interact with the catalyst, and of course "sacred" then tends to be wholly subjective.

The long lost. mysterious, and legendary "SOMA"

Definitely not "long lost".. With all the descriptive evidence, it is hard to not match the identity as the amanita muscaria mushroom.

Last edited:
StagnantReaction said:
Definitely not "long lost".. With all the descriptive evidence, it is hard to not match the identity as the amanita muscaria mushroom.

According to R. Wasson, yeah. Unfortunately none of the effects of Soma are similar to those of amanita's, so thats one major flaw in the argument.

^That's completely subjective surely to his interpretation of the experience.

zophen said:
^That's completely subjective surely to his interpretation of the experience.

According to Wasson (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality), Soma was amanita's, though he does mention that in his self experiements with a. muscaria, he achieved none of the ecstasy or euphoria indicated with use of Soma. I think his books slightly off key in that respect . Many reports of use of fly agaric either mention basic lethargy, somatic disturbances (sweating, shanking, thirst etc), or unpleasant delirogenic effects- though of course many speak about rapture and extreme mystical experience. It just seems unlikely that a mushroom as unpredictable as a. muscaria would be the source of such epic poetry.

Your right in saying that thats his interpretation- but unless the chemisty of amanita muscaria or the physiology of humans has changed since SOMAdays, a lot of modern literature about fly agaric seems at odds with old soma trip reports.

'Sacred' is something that is part of/integrated into a certain religious worldview. In christianity, eucharist (body of Christ) and wine (the blood of christ) are sacred, even though the first posseses no significant (neuro)pharmacological activity at all and the other does but not in the amount consumed at holy mass.

I am an atheist and I cannot make myself consider a molecule, any molecule sacred. Yes, some of them do cause very dramatic changes in consciousness as compared to the one which most of us experience daily, but the visual and sonic illusions which are predominant during the intake of these praticular molecules you mention are in my mind, pure and simple pleasures of aesthetic nature, not much more than enjoying a great and dramatic peace of music or immersing yourself in a great painting. Beyond this I find nothing which would defy rational inquiry: to tell it bluntly, your mind gets in a confused state and produces unusual experience.

Now, most of you who replied here are neopaganists or something like that. I won't interfere in your 'magical' worldview, because it, like many other things, are a matter of personal choice. Just as some of you find 'sacredness' and 'life-changing experiences' when under the influence of certain substances, others find it by joining Jehova's Witnesses, being fervent catholics, fundamentalist evangelists etc.

Therefore, this question sounds to me as pointless as if someone asked which book do you find the most sacred: Bible, Kur'an, Tao Te Ching, Vedas, Avesta...

For me, the set and the setting are sacred, as is all of the life around me. My serotonin receptors are sacred too. The psychedelic, OTOH, is just a tool sold to me by the devil in exchange for my soul....