• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

yeah dude don't go into ANY debt for an investment in stocks. That is a bad road to go down.

Getting a Margin loan to invest in shares by risking shares you already own, would you consider that to be bad investment debt to get into

Getting a Margin loan to invest in shares by risking shares you already own, would you consider that to be bad investment debt to get into
Yes. I will not Margin, it’s usually based on your portfolio as you said, but I’ve been buying my stocks outright, I’m focused on building my own etfs. That said do not go into ANY debt to buy stocks, do not buy stocks with cash and then max out credit like I did. That said im still paying off Christmas and trying to get more payment history so I can request and increase. I have assured income due to my disability. I’m not sure your finances, but if all you have is 50 spare dollars to invest a month. Do that.
My goal with investing was when I got off oxycodone and smoking weed everyday, I took what I spent on those drugs and put it in the market. If I lose everything it would be the same as if I was still doing drugs,
My portfolio features. BNGO as majority Sens as a 2nd with only a difference of about 40 shares, Motus GI holdings and Onconova therapeutics. I’m primarily working it he medical finance sector as it has the most relevancy in changing the world and is also experience the most steady growth.
I do not own any tech stocks, As of yet and I’m looking for a hard wallet to begin searching for Bitcoin Based Storage.
Mainly my point is leave cash around me it will soon or later get spent on some dumb shit. So why not take the money put it in a stock and Live my life.

I loaded up a little positions in some things today. Mostly firearms. And health related stocks. Lmao 😂 and I see this as an amazing long term play. I just need one more position but I doubt I can I have enough cash to make extra payments

I would avoid buying anything right now, I keep thinking we reached the bottom but it keeps going down. The graphs on some popular tech ETFs (mostly what I have besides weed stocks) are terrifying looking right now. I mean if you average in, I bet right now is close to the bottom but I am not going to bet on it. But yeah when the dust settles it will be a great time to buy.

Somehow literally every time I've invested in anything, ever, I somehow end up going in right near the top right before whatever it is loses a ton of value. It's uncanny.

Avoid this like the plague, absolutely not. Also like I said I wouldn't even buy anything with non-margin funds right now. Wait for the dust to settle. it's been a bloodbath for the last couple of weeks.

Every time I've messed with margin I've gotten burned. Basically your gains/losses on your actual funds get magnified. So if you buy $2000 worth of equities and $1000 of it is on margin, if the stock goes down 5%, you actually are losing 10%. Same with gains, you could also gain more which is the appeal. But also with margin you can't really hold long-term if it goes way down, because they charge you interest on what you borrowed over time, and they can force a sell-off to cover if they consider it too risky. So if you end up in the red, it's a bad place to be. If you just buy with your money, you can hold as long as you want f the price tanks but you still believe in it long-term.

I would avoid buying anything right now, I keep thinking we reached the bottom but it keeps going down. The graphs on some popular tech ETFs (mostly what I have besides weed stocks) are terrifying looking right now. I mean if you average in, I bet right now is close to the bottom but I am not going to bet on it. But yeah when the dust settles it will be a great time to buy.

Somehow literally every time I've invested in anything, ever, I somehow end up going in right near the top right before whatever it is loses a ton of value. It's uncanny.

Avoid this like the plague, absolutely not. Also like I said I wouldn't even buy anything with non-margin funds right now. Wait for the dust to settle. it's been a bloodbath for the last couple of weeks.

Every time I've messed with margin I've gotten burned. Basically your gains/losses on your actual funds get magnified. So if you buy $2000 worth of equities and $1000 of it is on margin, if the stock goes down 5%, you actually are losing 10%. Same with gains, you could also gain more which is the appeal. But also with margin you can't really hold long-term if it goes way down, because they charge you interest on what you borrowed over time, and they can force a sell-off to cover if they consider it too risky. So if you end up in the red, it's a bad place to be. If you just buy with your money, you can hold as long as you want f the price tanks but you still believe in it long-term.
Bull af on guns and healthcare. Not sorry. I don’t even look at my portfolio. But I’m done on investing today

All my stocks are double digit stocks most are pharmaceuticals and genomic. Fuck ark. Fuck institutions. I’ll do this myself. I know shits about to pop. Watch it drop and rise until stim checks drop.

I’m my own etf. Fuck letting someone else touch my money.

Risky man. I'm complaining but even professional traders have a hard time performing better in the long term than the broad indexes like dow, nasdaq and S&P500, which good ETFs are mirroring and investing in. You can get lucky with individual stocks, for sure, but it's risky to be 100% in individual stocks. ETFs are composed of many stocks so that the gains outweigh the losses, some are always gaining and losing and they're being shifted around to try to maximize gains and minimize losses. They're managed to minimize risk. Just saying, investing a large percentage into mutual funds or ETFs is the way to ensure you will have gains long-term (unless the market crashes and doesn't recover but that has never happened). Over the course of years, individual stocks are a big gamble and could lose most of their value and never recover, but an ETF or mutual fund WILL grow if it's a good, broad one. Like right now if I sold I'd be out a third of what I put in, but in 5 years I will be way up.

Technically no one is touching your money with ETFs, you own the shares, but the fund is being managed as to which stocks are more prevalent and present in the fund. A really broad, conservative ETF like SPY, which is essentially just the S&P500, is very low risk compared to trying to do it yourself. Long-term, it's very difficult to beat its performance, historically.

I'm also doing 50% in individual stocks, trying to catch my break (American weed stocks). But if you want to make sure that your money grows, it's a really risky play to do a few individual stocks, is all I'm trying to say.

Risky man. I'm complaining but even professional traders have a hard time performing better in the long term than the broad indexes like dow, nasdaq and S&P500, which good ETFs are mirroring and investing in. You can get lucky with individual stocks, for sure, but it's risky to be 100% in individual stocks. ETFs are composed of many stocks so that the gains outweigh the losses, some are always gaining and losing and they're being shifted around to try to maximize gains and minimize losses. They're managed to minimize risk. Just saying, investing a large percentage into mutual funds or ETFs is the way to ensure you will have gains long-term (unless the market crashes and doesn't recover but that has never happened). Over the course of years, individual stocks are a big gamble and could lose most of their value and never recover, but an ETF or mutual fund WILL grow if it's a good, broad one. Like right now if I sold I'd be out a third of what I put in, but in 5 years I will be way up.

Technically no one is touching your money with ETFs, you own the shares, but the fund is being managed as to which stocks are more prevalent and present in the fund. A really broad, conservative ETF like SPY, which is essentially just the S&P500, is very low risk compared to trying to do it yourself. Long-term, it's very difficult to beat its performance, historically.

I'm also doing 50% in individual stocks, trying to catch my break (American weed stocks). But if you want to make sure that your money grows, it's a really risky play to do a few individual stocks, is all I'm trying to say.
Message me please. Stock only shit. Ima link you to my tickers. You can do dd.

No worries man, I'm just trying to be helpful, my track record suggests I suck at investing, you do you. :)

11400-block of 124 Street.

In the current market are traders who have shorted stocks going to or already have made a Shit load of $$$$$$$

In the current market are traders who have shorted stocks going to or already have made a Shit load of $$$$$$$
They would have over the past two weeks, if they were making short-term bets. Who knows where it goes from here. If I knew I'd be rich!

My positions are getting killed. I was betting that a bunch of high-growth, overvalued tech companies wouldn't drop in value by large amounts in the near term. Well, so much for that. I'm holding my positions for now instead of exiting for a significant loss, but you never know when the bubble is going to burst in earnest.

I'm down 5% from January, 60:40 stocks:ETFs. Almost all of the red is from trying to catch BB on the way down ... in retrospect, I was trying to rationalize the risk.

FOMO is a suicidal impulse. I'm convinced that what makes an investor a true veteran is having the resolve to walk away from a sure thing. Only gamblers believe in sure things.

Been researching alt coins today. I'm building up from basically nothing here, but I think I will try and pick up
Electroneum (ENT), Stellar Lumens (XLM), Uniswap (UNI), Tron (TRX), and Polkadot (DOT) and bank on their strong adoption potential in future years.
Thats on top of holding BTC, ETH, and LTC. I only have a little bit of BTC, LTC, UNI, and XLM at this point.

Well...it's not a stock, but I hold BTC. Returns are easy and generally effortless. BTC goes through its ups and downs but the value raises on average over time. I "invested" in BTC on accident...I bought about 1.4 BTC when it was worth only a few hundred, then spent some of it, and forgot about it for a few years. Once I realized it, BTC was up to $17,000, and I remembered the online wallet I had signed up for. If only I had forgotten about it until now tho hahaha

Been researching alt coins today. I'm building up from basically nothing here, but I think I will try and pick up
Electroneum (ENT), Stellar Lumens (XLM), Uniswap (UNI), Tron (TRX), and Polkadot (DOT) and bank on their strong adoption potential in future years.
Thats on top of holding BTC, ETH, and LTC. I only have a little bit of BTC, LTC, UNI, and XLM at this point.
I ended up selling all my altcoins for BTC when I realized they weren't producing returns that were anywhere close to BTC. I felt like I was wasting time

I bought my first BTC for long term hold (the first since I panic sold everything in 2018 that is), and also a little ETH. I'll keep buying some with part of my investing funds over time. BTC, although insanely wasteful of energy and a bit of a dinosaur in the crypto space, is unlikely to stop being the top dog of crypto anytime soon, and it's almost for sure going to keep going up (a lot) over time. Though I hope it does eventually get replaced as the main one by one of the newer generation cryptos that doesn't use as much energy as Argentina to operate, needlessly.

I also minted some NFTs for my art, and listed them for sale. People are going nuts for NFTs right now. Maybe I can sell some, who knows? I'm using Mintable.

I never panic sold from my accidental accumulation of just over 10 BTC when it was first purchased in 201X ... I have been continuously mining in small volume since then using whatever GPU power I have available. I Mine Eth and I get paid directly in BTC. Since 2018 I have accumulated just under 4 BTC addition. With one RTX 2080ti and one RTX 3090 I manage to average about .002 BTC per week while consuming around 500 watts total under full mining load. My PC is capable of full tilt mining and still manage gaming etc. without a big loss in framerate.

The only thing I cash my BTC out at this time is to purchase PC parts.

Last edited: