• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

C H,

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. When you attain that level of accuracy I might listen to your predictions, LOL. Even at that point I won't follow your financial advice.
Y'all still keeping $ in the market? Expect it will rebound?

Only time will tell.

This is fairly fucking devastating to the Trump Train "economy great MAGA" crowd. And I respect that for the people who have worked hard their whole lives and invested in this, I really do.

What goes up must come down.

If he announces a stimulus package today, you'll see the market rebound, I'm sure and I do hope he has some plan to get money/services to Americans in need.

the thing now is that there are many oscillations, one day is bad in the other it rises, then, swing trade is the best to get money, in Brazil, in these oscillations it is possible to gain 10-25 % per stock by means of swing trade
These events in the US DJ, NYSE and NASDAQ normally are followed shortly with a stock market closure to prevent irreparable panic-induced sell-offs.

I don't disagree with closing it down until investors have more time/information during certain national crisis and this may be one of them.

If there's a stimulus package, test kits getting to people, less panic in public, the economy might rebound quicker than even I thought possible (but, you know, people are just loving this coronapanic and can't stop hoarding food anxiously...)

The stark reality of an entire season of low productivity for the nation is coming into focus. If this is resolved/dwindles down for the most part by Summer, and people get decent long-lasting immunity before re-infection I think we'll recover by Summer (a long time to wait for some people who may need money now, was my original point).

The amount dropped in the number of days is worse than the '20's crash.

Yeah but in the 20s the high was a miniscule fraction of ehat it is now. Yeah if the stock market is 100 times higher valued, the amount of loss is going to be far higher.

Don't get me wrong, it is a huge drop in a very short amount of time. But doomsaying about this being worse than the Great Depression is overblowing things. Yeah it's a recession at this point, it will take some time to build back. But remember that this was caused by a virus, not by an inherent lack of faith in the American economy. People are being reactionary right now, rule #1: novice investors always freak out. Once the needle starts plunging, more and more people freak out. They sell low, then buy again when it's recovered, when they should have held, realizing that investment is not a short-term thing.

looks like it's starting to rebound. of course that cat could drop any second. pretty sure one of my bothers bought a more aggressive version of voo. i have no money so i'm hold. my dad is in the hospital with corona so the dow probably isn't on the top of his priority list (please pray for him).

anyone making moves?

I hope he comes out OK, I know it's stressful not being able to do nething but wait for news :S

I'm holding off any more investment because I might need the cash short-term. It's hard to say when things will return to normal, I think U.S. is just starting to hit the worst of it so this could go on until the end of the year.

I'm worried for all the people put out of work with no savings and having to rely on whatever small sum the government can provide. We're in basically a wartime situation here and after so many decades of peace nobody is prepared at all for hard times.

Yeah we've been massively spoiled for a long time, there hasn't been a serious pandemic or other global issue in 100 years (well WW2 was sooner than that but it's been a long time since then too).

Last edited:
chase freedom catagories this quarter are ..

grocery stores
streaming services
and gyms

the last one kinda sucks because they are closed anyway, but i don't want to cancel because the re-signup fee is insane.

grocery stores is the real relief. this is a reasonably easy card to get. 5 percent back on groceries is nothing to shrug at right now. gotta be thankful for little things in bad times. also, streaming services will help a lot of people. not nearly as much as groceries, but it's still a nice one for such a hard time.
edit: sound like a fucking madman here. praising chase’s nice deed?

Last edited:
yep. the card is useless most of the year, but what is 5 percent back rotates quarterly. usually gas is one quarter (doesn't help me, but huge to people with cars) and grocery is another.

and it is not a terribly hard card to get. not trying to make people with bad credit feel shitty. but you only need good, not excellent to get this card.

5 percent on groceries will help me so much.

edit:
oh, and once randomly it was paypal. so anything i bought online i just paid with paypal. but that was an oddity. in the six or so years i've had the card they only did that once. that's not as good as groceries or gas. it's mostly material stuff you shouldn't be buying online. still, it wasn't a bad one.

Bitcoin has been on a tear since it dropped to $4-5k in March. The past few weeks it has hit $10k twice but keeps getting rejected and the price has fallen to $8500. my gut feeling is it will trade in the $6-8k range for the next while so still some opportunity just not as big as this last run up

Bitcoin has been on a tear since it dropped to $4-5k in March. The past few weeks it has hit $10k twice but keeps getting rejected and the price has fallen to $8500. my gut feeling is it will trade in the $6-8k range for the next while so still some opportunity just not as big as this last run up
its going it hit 25-30k usd maybe 40k usd by october. The halvening is going to happen today

I've got like 800 bucks or something on a free exchange since starting 3 years ago, and have technically only "made" a little bit since the crash, but I've had to put it on my taxes which is cool I guess, 20 bucks or something just in dividends last year. Only individual stocks I fuss with are Cisco and vZ, others are etfs.

But it's a start 🤷 gotta keep slowly building and letting those dividends come in. IRAs are good too.

any new predictions? Im trying to decide whether I should buy like $700 worth and hold on to it? its at about 9k right now.

Yeah but in the 20s the high was a miniscule fraction of ehat it is now. Yeah if the stock market is 100 times higher valued, the amount of loss is going to be far higher.

Don't get me wrong, it is a huge drop in a very short amount of time. But doomsaying about this being worse than the Great Depression is overblowing things. Yeah it's a recession at this point, it will take some time to build back. But remember that this was caused by a virus, not by an inherent lack of faith in the American economy. People are being reactionary right now, rule #1: novice investors always freak out. Once the needle starts plunging, more and more people freak out. They sell low, then buy again when it's recovered, when they should have held, realizing that investment is not a short-term thing.

For a novice investor, dollar-cost averaging and index funds are going to work out much better than throwing darts and following hunches. You can go to an investing site like marketwatch.com, and I didn't look just now, but I'd guess there are articles today on why 1) the market is already well off its bottom and b) no it's not, look out below! in about equal parts.

I spent some time today updating stop orders. The market's detached from reality, gold is looking squidgy, money printer go brrrr, and I'll just wear my seat belt for now.

Last edited:
I bought my first stocks in december so was some pretty bad timing currently down 1000-2000 depending on the day

These are the stocks Ive got right now, these are two different accounts
XGMvC4j.png
kKm1Vnn.png

I wouldn’t invest in the market until it crashes. Gold and bitcoin hold potential

@sigmond the long-term price trend is bearish and failed to break through the $10k resistance after taking a few runs at it doesn't seem likely the price will start rising from here. I exited my trade already and will be waiting for $6-7k range to get back in, might take a few months

@Branggen nice dashboard, what broker is that?

@hydroazuanacaine haven't seen you post much lately, has your dad recovered from covid?

hey @thujone. good to hear from you. my pops is running and working again. still regaining strength and weight. yesterday he said at his age he doesn’t think he’ll ever recover to 100 percent, which is sad but he’s calling that a little early.

i recently did a stint in mental health and substance abuse treatment, accounting for my reduced online presence. my first time in inpatient. too old to be falling apart like that. trying to reassure my parents that i can survive and get back home.

hope all is reasonably well with you.

I'm doing good, thanks :) Keep up the good fight, I'm glad to hear your dad pulled through, heard the survival rate wasn't that good for hospitalized people so I'm sure that was a white-knuckled ride. Cherish the days together