• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

citi double cash card got rid of their price rewind. even though U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card only gives 1.5% cash back on all purchases -- citi double cash obviously gives 2% -- it is one of the few cards that has price rewind without any major drawbacks. citi got rid of it because they said people were not using it. what a joke. they got rid of it because middle class people were saving thousands a year with it.

price rewind, price guarantee, whatever you call it, is one of the best uncommon credit card perks out there. bank cash 365 has a huge competitive edge that sites like nerdwallet are ignoring likely due to poor referral link bonuses. i saw some similar sites say chase freedom unlimited is the better choice. what a joke.

Last edited:
CC rewards really seem to have hit the skids lately, I'm just sticking with my bank's "gold" (lowest tier) rewards card because the points can be redeemed for travel 1:$1. Amazon had a card that looked good offering low currency exchange rates but getting screwed on exchange by Paypal is a bigger problem for me.

I'm looking at a mix of dividend ETFs and growth ETFs for my TFSA (Canada's Roth IRA), healthcare industry seems to be growing pretty well...

There are some Canadian options worth looking into for Americans. Most of our main industries are heavily monopolized by incumbents/cartels that provide steady returns YoY without much chance of competition threatening them.

yeah, or you have to be stupid rich to justify the annual expense of the good ones. once i get a job again, i'm gonna get that savor from capital one. 4% cash back on dining? yes please. or you could get the savor one from captial one for 3% back on dinning in exchange for no $95 annual fee, but i live in the city and eat out more than in so that extra percent for $95 will pay for itself in no time.

etfs for the win.

Last edited:
yo thujone, you looked into healthcare REITs? with the growing life expectancy, housing the elderly isn't a bad investment. i still have the one in mentioned back in 2015. their ticker switched from HCN to WELL.

The decent "assisted living" retirement homes seem crazy expensive. We're talking $5-$10k/mo. in the developed world. Only the most flush Boomers can afford to run out the clock at a rate of $10k/mo. For the rest it's going to be worse conditions in publicly-funded horrorshows or being forced to move to private facilities in Mexico or South-East Asia.

Cost is an issue in the short-term:

The median 401(k) balance of someone in the 55-64 age group is $177,805, according to a report from Vanguard. Using the commonly used "4% rule" of retirement, this translates to sustainable income of just $7,112 per year in retirement. Even when combined with Social Security income, this isn't nearly enough for most retirees to sustain their quality of life. Worse yet, 45% of baby boomers report having no retirement savings whatsoever.

Forget $5k/mo, they're going to be living off $7k per YEAR??? Of the 55% that do have retirement savings, how many owe tens of thousands on a HELOC they used to keep up with the Joneses? Even worse, how many live in a bubble market and will be left with debts they won't even be able to cover if they miss their window to sell at peak value?

Since the type of properties that these REITs deal in are purpose-built, I would assume the question of how much growth can be expected boils down to figuring out whether they can expect a growing demand but some points against this are that they're already a bit of a luxury option and people that could afford this might well prefer the alternatives like "aging in place" at a house with a garden.

I dunno, I can't say I have any deep insights into this, I'm just getting into healthcare because of rising obesity and diabetes and shit... I think a lot of people now are going to be dying in hospitals long before they ever get to the retirement village option

If I live long enough to need diapers again, I'm spending everything but the quarter for the suicide booth

I have to say that it's quite a good investing as for me. I used to buy stocks when I know for sure it will bring profit. If you did invest into cryptocurrency or stocks you know what is it. You probably know how hard it is to predict increase of stocks. So I invest only when I am sure in the final result, and sometimes I even take loans to invest as much money as I can. Do you do the same way?

Last edited:
no. trading on margin when you don't have other liquid assets of equal or greater value in case you need to cover is one of the fastest tracks available to financial ruin.

Using leverage is the only way to get anywhere in forex trading, it's not a bad option swing trading on longer timelines where the technical indicators and fundamentals align but trying to day trade on leverage is just a fast way to commit financial seppuku

“trading” is a pretty general term. trading on margin (a loan with interest from your broker) or a loan from any other source is very high risk on the spectrum. not only can you lose money you don’t have, but the interest lessens your gains and increases your losses in a deal executed at the same buy and sell price. plus the increased amount of money invested both increases the risk and reward.

margin trading is more for when the trader has assets they can afford to lose to cover that loan, but they want to keep those assets where they are because those assets are making more money where they currently are than the interest on the loan would cost.

if i have 10 dollars in an investment making 10 cents a day —and i can afford to lose that 10 dollars — and another investment opportunity comes up where i can invest 6 dollars to make make what i estimate to be 5 to 7 cents a day, if i can take a 6 dollar loan out with interest that costs me 1 cent a day, i could make more money than if i had to move 6 dollars out of that 10 dollar investment. if everything worked out as estimated. if not, i could still take money out of that first 10 dollar investment to cover my losses on the 6 dollar investment that did not go as planned. or it could be adding that 6 dollars to the 10 dollar investment to make even more money, as long as the trader has money somewhere else that is in a liquid investment making more than the interest of the loan and the trader can afford to lose that 16 dollars (plus interest).

that’s very different than taking a 6 dollar loan out on 10 dollars of equity that i cannot afford to lose. which is unfortunately what new investors sometimes do thinking they have found a sure thing and that investing is a get rich quick game.

someone weigh in where/if i am wrong, as i absolutely do not trade on margin. also sorry about the bad syntax; complicated thing to explain typing on your phone.

Last edited:
I need to research a few good shares and/or funds over the next week for my Mum. The money has been sitting there in a tax-free envelope for a while and reaaaaaallllyyy needs to be sorted as it's earning 0% interest just sitting there.

The decent "assisted living" retirement homes seem crazy expensive. We're talking $5-$10k/mo. in the developed world. Only the most flush Boomers can afford to run out the clock at a rate of $10k/mo. For the rest it's going to be worse conditions in publicly-funded horrorshows or being forced to move to private facilities in Mexico or South-East Asia.

Yeah, even just the regular care home my Nan is in costs almost US$100k/yr. Her pension only covers 80% of that.

good thing you didn’t make any big buys yesterday.

age is a big factor in how much risk you can accept. might wanna look into conservative investing options if she’s retired and that’s the money she’s living off of.

also nice to see you posting again!

• Love
Reactions: CFC
margin trading is more for when the trader has assets they can afford to lose to cover that loan, but they want to keep those assets where they are because those assets are making more money where they currently are than the interest on the loan would cost.

I used to get about 250% of the total value of my portfolio on loan - way back in the day with Charles Schwab. To be paid back within 48 hours. So sometimes I could make some big day trades (for a poor person) like $250K, and make quite a bit just from a move of a few cents.

good thing you didn’t make any big buys yesterday.

age is a big factor in how much risk you can accept. might wanna look into conservative investing options if she’s retired and that’s the money she’s living off of.

also nice to see you posting again!

Thanks hydro.

Yeah, I've got a whole load of fairly safe income funds (3-5% ), with a mix of fewer growth funds. But honestly, the funds are such a lame way of investing with the charges they take. The individual shares in total have earned far higher dividends over the years, and somewhat higher total capital growth as well. But you are right, it's all about being realistic with risk. She's 70 and may need much of that $$ back before too long - no 20 year strategies with these ones.

I would guess and also care. My grandma is in full-time memory care (she has more or less lost her mind and also can't walk anymore)... very expensive. But it's because 100% of the time she has to be watched/helped. Basically everything she ever had is gone because of it.

But honestly, the funds are such a lame way of investing with the charges they take. The individual shares in total have earned far higher dividends over the years, and somewhat higher total capital growth as well.
often, yes. i own three funds in the form of etfs in my “for fun” portfolio. their expense ratios are .03 percent, .05 percent, and the highest vgt is .1 percent. zero commission traded and no cost drips that allow partial shares. though i’ve never been with a broker that charged for drip or didn’t allow partial shares from drips. and zero commission trading has become standard even for company shares in the last year.

lesser regulation surrounding etfs has made it possible for middle class investors to buy funds with minimal expense ratios that would have prohibitive minimums in the form of true mutual funds.

and my net (as in after expense, not tax; it’s unrealized) rate of return on vgt is over 30 percent in 2 years and 3 1/2 months. that’s the time period since the position was initially started and the return on all the money i’ve put in to it since. i’d need to get my laptop out to check the rate of return on the initial investment.

i’m sure the funds in my 401k are stuck and bleeding, but starting a 401k when you were too green to know about that isn’t exactly something to regret.

that said, i own and have owned shares of companies that have doubled in a little more than that amount of time. but i’ve owned shares of companies that have become worthless and required the broker to dissolve the position because there was literally zero demand (there’s some term for that i cannot remember). well i’ve only made that mistake once because brokers usually charge a fee to get rid of that position for you and also have a fee for holding worthless positions (got it waived the first time and made sure not to let it happen again). but i’ve sold others right before it got to that point, taking almost a complete loss.

only fund i’ve ever lost money on was an eft tracking oil futures. that doesn’t count and i now understand how silly it was.

in the grand scheme of investments, these passively managed funds are actually high risk. so they’re probably not appropriate for most retirees living off of their investments. i chopped your quote and kinda got off track of the original context. it’s just that shares of individual companies are about the highest risk.

warren buffett said — or it’s a popular rumor — he wants his wife to move their money to an ultra low expense ratio s&p tracking fund when he dies. but she’s not gonna be pressured into selling low like a normal person could.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFC
that sucks :( my dad had dementia in the end so i know how it goes ...

that's probably the main reason I don't even want to think about investing in end-of-life care ... I can't say if it's humane or not to keep people alive when their minds are beyond repair, but knowing there's an industry trying to profit off it is one of those realities that keeps me up at night