• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

word. you believe in timing the market as a key strategy? i'm not criticizing. kinda surprised though seeing as you're studying economics.

word. you believe in timing the market as a key strategy? i'm not criticizing. kinda surprised though seeing as you're studying economics.
I don't take it as critique and i'm completely OK if people don't like my views :D
Well markets have tendency to go upwards when the time goes on, but good timing is super important. It can definetly help you make more profit in less time and bad timing might make you wait very long for your profits, if you get them at all.
I think knowledge of how the market works can get you very far. Many people invest only during booms and panic sell during even smallest downturn.
I think discliplined and long term planning is smart. Of course having boundaries, like if y stock goes less than x you will sell is important.
Think about if you invested in Florida houses during the 2008 crash?
They are already more expensive than they were in their peak during 2006-2007's
Of course after adjusted to the inflation the growth is not so big, but it's still huge.
I think it's important during this crisis and aftermath to try to keep ship intact, not go too ham with the investing, because long term effects of economy shutting down even for a while can be terrible and we may have not seen everything yet.
Summer months are the best selling times for many businesses and many might go down even as late as beginning of the next year because they didn't make enough money to survive to the next summer. I wouldn't invest in these small stocks, which may make huge profit, but are high risk high reward right now.
Safe and stable stocks.
The virus helped many businesses too and i think there might be some permanent things that stay after the virus, like stores having these glass things so bacteria doesn't move.
Looking at things like this might help you make good investments.
5G is something i would pay attention to, there might be US government contracts to Ericson or Nokia soon.
Best regards - DMW

I'm shopping for companies that sell food and pay dividends atm

LOLOLO

Another markets junkie here.

Not professionally, but I've been investing since 2006 more or less, when I was doing all that crazy and stupid shit of trading, leveraged products, CFds, forex and whatnot. Luckily I didn't have much money then, so I didn't lose too much, and took a long break (a pity, I should have invested after the financial crisis and today would be closer to retirement, sigh)

About 3 years ago I came back to it, but this time on a better educated approach, and not the gambling/trading/TA bullshit. Started to buy shares of companies and slowly made some money, despite all the 2018 crash and recent covid crash, I am still up!!

Started stock-picking, but basically I am moving to passive indexation, and a combination of assets good enough to get some returns while reducing volatility, something in the line of the Permanent Portfolio or the Golden Butterfly. I aim to retire early (or better, I dream with that)

I invest mainly in USA companies, but I am turning my eyes to Asian stocks, Ali Baba, Sea, etc. My rules:
1) Buy companies with moat, with returning customers that pay more and more for the product. Buy in areas of growing population, or buy global companies
2) Forget the rule 1) and just buy an index, some gold and hold cash and short term bonds just in case. Most likely you will make same money in the long term, with much less effort
3) Nobody has a clue what's going to happen, never. Forget the market pundits

👐 oh oh pick me i also know about stocks tee hee. Use robinhood app its really easy at first. I have over $1,100 in there now and have made nearly $130 just in profit from investing in dividend stocks since january '17

Good .dividend investment sucks a little bit, but is better that many other things, specially because is a long term strategy. What shares do you have?

Most of my stuff is in Verizon, Cisco, and O (which is a realty corp with monthly dividends). I have some VNQ right now that I am selling and putting it all in google. But its still there for me I'm upgrading to the robinhood gold version to make it easier and I also use cashapp a lot, in addittion to a normal bank so my moneys reallly all over the place.

All this pandemic stimulus spending has goosed Bitcoin up to >$11500, ruining the good trade setup I was expecting to happen in October.

It really pisses me off to see public money being wasted like this by people that obviously don't need it for food and rent :mad:

BTC should be hitting 80k USD in 2024. Alot of people probably just dumping money in it hoping it happens

BTC should be hitting 80k USD in 2024. Alot of people probably just dumping money in it hoping it happens

that's why i think it's irresponsible to be using stimulus money for it. price might rise or there might be another big shakeout like there was at $19k when people were borrowing money to buy in. only now it's taxpayers financing the gamble not credit card companies.

checked the bitcoin wallet i use for nefarious means and the bit of money i had left over from my last order multibagged 6x (edit: i'm skeptical on my math here). free drugs yo.

Last edited:
checked the bitcoin wallet i use for nefarious means and the bit of money i had left over from my last order multibagged 6x. free drugs yo.
You've been off the dark markets for quite some time, lol

I think BTC still has upside until the next big crash. And I think the argument pro-Bitcoin is today stronger than ever. The governments are crushing fiat money with their QEs and negative rates, which is making investors desperately seek somewhere to store money, might be gold, BTC, stocks or property

Even companies like MicroStrategy or Square are storing BTC

I am really longing for next BTC crash to happen because will be a nice test. Never has been BTC do widely supported by institutions like today. Will it crash 80%+ like did before or will hold better this time?

One big difference this time is the volume at which BTC is trading. If one looks at the the volume being traded last time it reached the 20K USD mark it is much less this time around, indicating that support for BTC's price is technical rather than speculative. That is to say that much less BTC is being bought and it is still maintaining the gain. This is due to the fact that BTC went though a halving on May 11, 2020 (bitcoin solutions now only pay 6.25 BTC per block vs the perevious 12.5 BTC reward) so there is less BTC being mined. This makes it more scarce.

Another factor is the US government is now asking the FED to print money at a much greater rate now, which will inevitably cause US dollar inflation. Since BTC is completely decoupled from the USD, BTC will naturally gain value due to the relative loss of purchasing value in the US Dollar.

While it is true that no one knows for certain that it will not fall to the previous level, it is quite unlikely. There will be a pull back, but I believe it will be more like 14% of the previous gain according to many technical indicators.

As you say, we will have to see how this all plays out, I'm still "HODLING" my stash of BTC which currently sits at just a tad under 14 BTC (I accumulated a bit more when I converted my Bitcoin Cash which hard forked from BTC some time ago back to BTC since I had more confidence in it. It's quite a windfall since this is "left over change" from a DW purchase that I made about 5 years ago or so.

I also believe that if BTC hits and maintains 20K USD we will see Etherium take off like a bat out of Hell.

Last edited:
One big difference this time is the volume at which BTC is trading. If one looks at the the volume being traded last time it reached the 20K USD mark it is much less this time around, indicating that support for BTC's price is technical rather than speculative. That is to say that much less BTC is being bought and it is still maintaining the gain. This is due to the fact that BTC went though a halving on May 11, 2020 (bitcoin solutions now only pay 6.25 BTC per block vs the perevious 12.5 BTC reward) so there is less BTC being mined. This makes it more scarce.

Another factor is the US government is now asking the FED to print money at a much greater rate now, which will inevitably cause US dollar inflation. Since BTC is completely decoupled from the USD, BTC will naturally gain value due to the relative loss of purchasing value in the US Dollar.

While it is true that no one knows for certain that it will not fall to the previous level, it is quite unlikely. There will be a pull back, but I believe it will be more like 14% of the previous gain according to many technical indicators.

As you say, we will have to see how this all plays out, I'm still "HODLING" my stash of BTC which currently sits at just a tad under 14 BTC (I accumulated a bit more when I converted my Bitcoin Cash which hard forked from BTC some time ago back to BTC since I had more confidence in it. It's quite a windfall since this is "left over change" from a DW purchase that I made about 5 years ago or so.

I also believe that if BTC hits and maintains 20K USD we will see Etherium take off like a bat out of Hell.
Well done holding those 14 BTC

I have much much less, but I have no plan to ever sell it, at least in next 10 years. Unless I see they found a way of destroying it.

Fixed supply + growing demand = higher price

Continuous debasement of fiat money = higher price

I have no interest in other cryptos, they are too risky. At least with a long term perspective

Decentralisation is a must for me, and BTC is the only one really descentralided and tamper-proof

Correct, in my view. BTC is for holding value, like gold or silver. Etherium or another crypto coin will serve as the actual currency. Most large governments are looking into some form of blockchain currency to replace physical cash.

C K

PS, I'm just a guppy, Think of the Winklevoss Twins. Yikes that's a metric shit ton of BTC to own.

Last edited:

I dunno how relevant trade volume estimates are anymore. The last time the price hit $19k the fees went through the roof because so much of the trading was occurring on-chain. Since then, a lot of trade volume is happening off-chain through the legitimate Lightning Network, or the illegitimate Bullshit Network that is the massive pool of USDT liquidity created out of thin air to buy Bitcoin.

Because of the uncertain situation created by the ginormous Tether scam, I'm looking again towards utility coins instead of Bitcoin.

The main hurdle for utility coins is that the services they are founded on are still complicated to use. I mentioned Siacoin before but right now I think Filecoin will get traction sooner, because it's based on IPFS, which is already usable as a storage platform and accessible from anyone's browser.

Most large governments are looking into some form of blockchain currency to replace physical cash.
I won't ever invest in any government-controlled crypto. It will be like holding USD in your bank account, only to see how it's debased year after year by these crazy debt junkies. Modern Monetary Theories, Lol

Bitcoin is like young gold, trying still to set up and find its value