• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "limitless" pill: Modafinil

GhostOfYou

Greenlighter
So this drug has been around for a bit now, but I feel like after the movie "Limitless" came out it kind of took center again.

For those who don't know, Modafinil is a prescription pill that enhances your cognitive function. Think amphetamine, but without the high or nasty side effects. It, supposedly, enhances your focus, concentration, creative thinking, and memory.

Apparently, from what research I have done on it, it takes up to a week to kick in for some people, and it's positive effects are not permanent. So if you take it for 6 months then you'll be super smart for 6 months and then you go back to normal.

For those who DO know about it, and especially if you have experience with it, I'd love to hear about it more. I'm seriously considering getting some, obviously not for recreational use because it apparently has none, but for work related use.

I have this weird problem, or maybe it's normal, who knows, where when I'm on certain drugs my mental focus is enhanced, but when I'm just sober I have very little mental energy, if you will. I used to LOVE programming, or doing anything on a computer. Now if I try to do something at home on the computer I get bored very easily. No ambition at all. And at work, I'm slightly better but I still take long breaks in between projects and it's hard to get motivated. I work as a structural steel designer. I design walls and roof trusses for buildings so I have to read blueprints and memorize things, have mental stamina to multitask, and I need to focus constantly. It's not like a mistake in my line of work could cost lives, as Engineers always review our designs, but if I forget to do something, miss a step, or don't pay attention to details on structural loads, it could cost me hours time and, worst case scenario, cost my company a bid if I get sloppy or cost my company money if I miss important details and we have to repair or cover something.

When I'm on oxy, for example, it makes a lot of people nod out or become physically depressed and not mentally active. For me, it's a wicked booster. Not like cocaine or anything, but a good euphoric high gives me mental stamina to sit down and do work. Cocaine and some amphetamines are even better. But the obvious problem is the come down from those. It can take you from focused and happy to pissed off and sad really quick.

So I think a drug like Modafinil could do wonders for me.

I'd love to hear about it more.

I understand your need for more info on this "smart drug", but you kinda answer your own question further on.

I have this weird problem, or maybe it's normal, who knows, where when I'm on certain drugs my mental focus is enhanced, but when I'm just sober I have very little mental energy, if you will.

Yup, drugs do this to people, then after a while they don't anymore. We gotta do our best to remember that a chemical triggered an action that you found/find/or don't know if you like it or hate it (I'm talking about the computer stuff, or life events or experiences Not about the pills) - regardless.... we do these things because we feel rewarded afterwards and during and wish we could be doing it 24/7 . but you know that this is physically and mentally impossible to maintain.
Just the power of knowing that you can choose that activity ... yes, that one you do that makes you feel alive even if you got a boost from the Oxy or whatever, you still chose to do something constructive and it was your choice - The drug made you aware of this and is now a main ingredient in something that needed no assistance in the past.

But now having to rely on a chemical to do something we love naturally just plain sux and we all do it, I still do it knowing it is a frivolous activity.......and eventually we stop doing what we love and continue "pulling triggers without any targets". (hope that last sentence wasn't too deep) .

It isn't easy, but once you get into doing whatever it is/was that inspired you by because it's what you love doing... even for a short time. And being able to recognize the natural reward or accomplishment or inspiration or thrill etc.... from the activity and not relying on drug for permission to play ..... IMO is a turning point.
It was for me and it took a few decades to accept this. I hope I can practice what I am preaching here ... well, this damn essay is proof of one of the things that inspires me.

It has been a long time since my last postings, but there was a good reason for this and it is all explained above.

I hope u give it a try.

No ambition at all. And at work, I'm slightly better but I still take long breaks in between projects and it's hard to get motivated.

I know, it sux, but I worked the whole day, and here I am blabbering away and I wasn't thinking of work until I read the above quote, and now I gotta work tomorrow now too... first thing that pops into my head " how am I going to get through the day without the help of my potions" and motivation just isn't easy to kick start with work on my mind if that is the only thing in my mind.

So work at work and do whatever inspires you when you are not at work.
If work can inspire you and you can make a living from this then it isn't "work" anymore.

Hey I am not getting paid for posting this, but i sure feel a reward feeling by telling you what you probably already know.

And if it can spark an idea for you to even just close this browser and open that program you were thinking of earlier, then that feeling is something money cannot buy. It isn't that hard if you know what makes you happy.

Best of luck and enjoy the TV show Limitless - I watch it religously for it's entertainment value and inspiration value in reminding myself that being productive doing what we love doing is extremely achievable without any chemicals.

But the obvious problem is the come down from those. It can take you from focused and happy to pissed off and sad really quick.

In my opinion, "which is better than your opinion", ................NZT joke sorry, ;) seriously IMO it is the drugs that mess with your time/motivation cycle and then trying to get back into that task at the same pace for the same duration without any fuel is actually worse than not doing anything at all, because you start to resent the very things that you know give you reward and made you happy in the past.

Seriously a few hours every now and again is all it takes and you got nothing to lose.

After re-reading this post, it seems like I am saying what is very obvious and then repeating myself by re-wording the same response to a different question.............but I wouldn't be posting these words just for "shits and giggles".

Trust me, the smallest step is limitlessly larger than the biggest intentions.
And yes, I am completely sober right now and honestly I'm F%($king tired and if I don't turn off the PC now things will start to get outta control, and remember I got to work tomorrow.

Nice questions by the way, hope you understand a little of my reply.

Go for it.

%)

SL

Last edited:
It doesn't do any of those things. It just wakes you up. You don't even feel like you're "on" something or stimulated - you're just not tired.

I take it to manage fibromyalgia related fatigue and, while it's excellent for helping me do normal human adult things like work a 9 - 5, I've never experienced any cognitive enhancing effects or extra "smartening".

I was on this shortly, it exacerbated my appetite issues and GERD, made it so I could barely sleep even if I took it right after waking up, and didn't make me feel "smarter" or cognitively enhanced. It just gave me and edgy stimulation I was not fond of. Best avoid it, and maybe try adding exercise into your daily routine, as this seriously boosts energy and focus in a long-term sustainable way, which no drug can replicate. Also try and avoid doing ANY drug with regular frequency (> once a week), as playing with your body chemistry can interfere with cognitive abilities.

I have tried what you propose and it slowly made things worse. YMMV but I wouldn't recommend stimulants outside of emergency situations.

yeah, modafinil is considered I believe an 'awakening' agent, its kind of halfway between caffeine and amphetamine. IME it just would give me a headache.

Modafinil is best when used only a few times per week. Start low at 50mg and work up to 100mg. Take with coffee or green tea.

A small dose of modafinil taken with phenibut or kratom has a potentiating effect, excellent for productivity and focus.

However, some substances do not go well with modafinil, depending on the individual. Do not mix with amphetamines or dissociatives.

I've tried Nuvigil and Adrafanil. Both help with alertness but not with motivation or cognition.