• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

Is there an interaction between SSRIs and kava? I searched but it's tough to find stuff on my phone and I'm seeing different answers.

I don't think there is any at all that I've heard of, but I'm far from an expert.

That is an extremely high dose of lyrica (pregabalin) and I would not recommend this to other people. The first time I used lyrica I took 2 300mg capsules at work, (in a nursing home where the nurse in charge gave me the 2 capsules to get high ( she knew I was an experienced drug user) and I was pleasantly high from the 2 capsules) but I had tried heroin and was addicted to hydrocodone and blah blah blah dihpenhydramine... Blah blah blah almost died from Tylenol... 600mgs of lyrica is enough to feel something. It's no wonder you blacked out and compromised your friendship duh...

Three basic rules for a worthwhile experience 1. Empty stomach 2. Soy Lecithin 1200mg (give or take) 3. Quality kava

5000mg kavalactones or so. If you do that rite you will get the full effect. A bit of phenibut &/or etizolam will only help.

Tried some yesterday and am going to try a larger amount tonight. Seems like a worthy substitute for alcohol. And it blows those OTC antihistamines out of the water.

Do some research. Here's a free sample: get pure, rootbark only "Vanuatu" kava (no brand names or they'll "STONE" me haha ;);)... mash 50-75 gram (3/4 cup) or whatever may say is a serving size on the bag with water and some milk or oil. Shake vigorously , then strain through cheesecloth, drink. There are procedurals on how to prepare on youtube and google is helpful as far as finding sources for cheap, quality kava that will most definitely get you drunk... ish. ("Stone"ed maybe?)

Check out... I think its called "the kava blog" or something like that for reviews. Its done me right and saved me money. Im really surprised by this thread lol at least the recent posts I read (not anyone specific jist surprised overall a wasteland)

Kava kava is a very subtle drug- not necessarily 'weak', but always subtle- If you're looking for something that is better/stronger than benzos or whatever you're gonna be disappointed. It's not made in a lab, it's a root. Plus you'll all be getting old-ass, dried up, weak as fuck stuff too. It doesn't thrive outside of the pacific (I'm in New Zealand) as far as I know.

If your aim is to get fucked up then take a whole bunch as quickly as possible and then drink a couple of beers (or whatever, but you only want to drink 1-4 drinks depending on your tolerance to alcohol). That's what people do here, particularly young people, who wanna get krunk. Smoking weed helps too. You're never gonna get blotto off kava alone. Drinking on it is really bad for your liver though, so be warned.

I really don't understand why you're bothering. It's only fun if you're literally trapped on a deserted island. I can get the good stuff for like 1/20th the price, but I don't- it'sust not worth the hassle. Take a trip to Vanuatu or Fiji or whatever, do it there- then you'll enjoy it...set and setting, as they say.

I tried kava today hoping for the anti-anxiety affect as I need something to deal with my anxiety while I learn to deal with it cognitively.

The first thing I tried was making a tea from pieces of cut and dried root. I added a bit of rooibos and mint so it didn't taste horrible. I drank this, didn't feel much. So I tried two tablespoons of kava in a muslin bag, squished/agitated in a small bowl of cold water for 10 minutes like I had read the traditional preparation to be. Drank that. It didn't taste too bad, but again I had included a little bit of rooibos for flavour. I still wasn't feeling anything. I'd read about someone who chewed the dried root so I tried that, made my entire mouth numb. By this point I could be feeling something, but I was kind of looking for a high or like an alcohol drunk, or even a benzo buzz. Didn't get any of that. I read about making the concoction the same way as the traditional way except with hot (not boiling) water so I tried that and it tasted much stronger. By this point I was definitely feeling relaxed and calm and maybe a little euphoric. I don't know if it took the hot water concoction to do it, or if it was additive effects of all of my experiments. In any case, I felt very, very relaxed. I lay down and listened to some music for a while, and then it seemed to wear off.

I made one more hot water concoction before going to bed, and by this time drinking it made me a little nauseous. I fell asleep right away though, but only slept for 3 hours, even though I feel like I've slept for 6.

I'm a little disappointed that the buzz wasn't quite what I was looking for (a replacement for taking too many benzos) but I do think if I save it specifically for those days where I'm upset or anxious or wound too tight or too emotional, kava can help me relax and get through that moment. The place where I bought it from had cut root or powdered, and I'm used to making tea so I got the cut root. Next time I'm thinking powder because that's what they use in the traditional preparation.

Kava Discussion, Preferred Methods and General

I need some tips regarding kava. I bought a bag of 4oz of kava about a month ago. I really took a liking to it, it was the instant Easy-strain mix. It gave me pretty enjoyable effects and I slept beautifully on it. I've not had much money for it since I ran out, but I'm planning to order a good bit whenever I do, quite possibly some kava paste or something as well.

So I'd like to ask those of you who have used kava, specifically those who have used or continue to use it on a regular basis, what's your preferred method of making it? Do you use a blender, what do you mix it with, have you used the paste, and how? How do you achieve the best effects from your kava, and how can I? I don't know very much about different methods of making and consuming it, so I'd like to hear from some people who do. What do you like about it, what kind do you prefer, do you strain it or do you just bear with it?

General Kava Discussion
kava-bowlweb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with the traditional method of straining the kava in a bag, kneading it for about 5 to 10 minutes. Sometimes I would add some kind of fatty oil or liquid like milk or olive oil (just a little) to help absorption, although I couldn't tell you if it made any difference tbh. Got some surprisingly strong euphoric effects that lasted about 45 minutes, with increased sociability, reduced muscle and nerve pain, and decreased anxiety as well.

After awhile though the taste just really got to me, even smelling it would make me feel naeseous, as the traditional method can be very pugent in odor. I switched to micronized kava, which is an ultra fine grind that can be mixed in a protein shaker/blender bottle just like instant kava, except it seems more potent than the instant. After the ease of use with micronized kava I just use that now, takes all of 20 seconds to mix it and the liquid itself is thinner and doesnt taste nearly as bad, so its very easy to chug it in a few seconds.

Ive never tried the paste over extracts though. One thing I noticed is that taking it before bed always gave me very vivid dreams, dont know if anyone else experienced this.

You really need fresh roots, freshly ground, to get that satisfied effect from Kava.
I live in Australia and have tried various sources' powder. It never satisfies because the root has probably been ground and packaged too long ago.
When i went to Vanuata and the surrounding islands, i tried the real shit several times.
The locals would sit there and grind up a fresh root each day. They said the root needs to be fresh or the powder will not work to its full potential.
Kava is one of my favourite drug experiences by far. Its just a shame you will rarely achieve those effects unless you have legit freshly ground root.

I definitely had more vivid dreams as well. I believe what I had said it was micronized. Can you recommend a particular vendor or perhaps a particular type?

Old but still wrong. Maui Medicinals sells kava capsules which are IMO are much better than any powder I've used. Its really a personal preference. Some like sedation others like stimulation (me). Kavain has spoken! :)

I definitely had more vivid dreams as well. I believe what I had said it was micronized. Can you recommend a particular vendor or perhaps a particular type?

Get Maui Medicinals or World Seed Supply.

Last edited:
Kava really helped me get off alcohol when i was addicted and the doctor i had at the time wouldn't prescribe me benzos to help get off alcohol for some reason, and i couldn't afford to buy it off the streets.

So I used kava and a little bit of xanax (when i could afford it) here and there to get off the booze.

Old but still wrong. Maui Medicinals sells kava capsules which are IMO are much better than any powder I've used. Its really a personal preference. Some like sedation others like stimulation (me). Kavain has spoken! :)

ima order some to try with opiates lol

What about their
<snip>
is that any good?

What about their

<snip>

is that any good?

Detailed reviews on the most potent kava kava strains can be found at . Most people agree that the best kava kava brands come from <snip> so I stick with those 2 myself. Experimenting never hurts tho

Just wanted to share some info about types of kava which contain Tudei, rather than Noble, varieties.

<snip>

Pay attention to the Qualitative column listing yellow or orange. Remember, the natives who've used kava for thousands of years rarely if ever consumed the Tudei (two day) type because of negative effects such as nausea, and "kava hangover" In fact Tudei kava is banned from export in Vanuatu.

<snip>

As you can see from the results, one of the more heavily advertised companies, <snip>, tests positive for Tudei. It was the first brand I tried, not knowing any better, and always experienced nausea from it, compared to the <snip> I now drink which is much more pleasant.