• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

Very interesting - the only time I actually felt intoxicated from straight kava was from a bag of root powder from Papua New Guinea advertised as tudei. I managed to slug down a couple of big cups of the nasty shit - it literally tasted like pine cones, skunk smell, and wet mud - and within about an hour I actually felt a pleasant, warm buzz, kind of like alcohol but a bit more euphoric.

...the next day I puked my guts out for half the day, and didn't feel right for a few days after.

I should probably give kava another try. I do remember it going very well with my beloved kratom (and booze - I know, I know, you're never supposed to mix them).

What are the "heady" effects of kava like?

Bought some kava, coming next week, so I've been reading more about experiences and I read this is a particularly "heady" kava, kinda like how people call sativa a head high I guess. But what I'm wondering is (obviously from someone with experience with kava) am I going to feel spacey and weird like I did the few times I've had cannabinoids (synth and real) in life? Or what are the heady effects they're describing? I'm not particularly hoping for either way, just don't want to be in the wrong place if I'm going to get all spacey and mildly psychedelic like weed.

Nah, o wouldn't compare it tonweed thagbmuch really. Not so phychedelic but more benzo like.

I'd say a Kava body high is like the body load from a benzo; wobbly and tired. The head high is anxiety reducing and talkative. Really nice actually.

But warning, ?Don't mix with Bupropion and you will have akave hangover the next day for like an hour.

Yeah I don't plan to mix it with anything. Just sometimes I need something to make me happy and calm, kava is less damaging and sounds like it has more fun effects than alcohol so I'm half using it for self medication of anxiety attacks and half for fun.

Yeah I don't plan to mix it with anything. Just sometimes I need something to make me happy and calm, kava is less damaging and sounds like it has more fun effects than alcohol so I'm half using it for self medication of anxiety attacks and half for fun.
I used to make Kava smoothies and put it in a thermos. The school always just thought it was coffee.

Oh, and don't filter if you can handle the chunky flavors. It makes it stronger if you eat that.

That won't be an issue, I'm getting micronized instant Kava. No real prep required. Put a couple spoonfuls in water and drink.

Bought some kava, coming next week, so I've been reading more about experiences and I read this is a particularly "heady" kava, kinda like how people call sativa a head high I guess. But what I'm wondering is (obviously from someone with experience with kava) am I going to feel spacey and weird like I did the few times I've had cannabinoids (synth and real) in life? Or what are the heady effects they're describing? I'm not particularly hoping for either way, just don't want to be in the wrong place if I'm going to get all spacey and mildly psychedelic like weed.

Merged with the megathread

Kava smoothies? Doesn't kava taste horrible? How bad is the taste of kava, with nothing extra added, on a bad taste scale of 1 to 10. With 10 being the absolute worst tasting thing possible.

Just for reference (in my opinion):

A slice of pumpkin pie is a 1 out of 10
Eating human feces would be a 10 out of 10 (I imagine so, anyways, based on how it smells, lol)
Poppy tea is about an 9 out of 10
Kratom tea is about a 7.5 out of 10

Where would prepared kava, with nothing additional added for taste, fit on such a scale for you guys? Are there things you add to improve taste, and if so, how much does it help?

Kava smoothies? Doesn't kava taste horrible? How bad is the taste of kava, with nothing extra added, on a bad taste scale of 1 to 10. With 10 being the absolute worst tasting thing possible.

Just for reference (in my opinion):

A slice of pumpkin pie is a 1 out of 10
Eating human feces would be a 10 out of 10 (I imagine so, anyways, based on how it smells, lol)
Poppy tea is about an 9 out of 10
Kratom tea is about a 7.5 out of 10

Where would prepared kava, with nothing additional added for taste, fit on such a scale for you guys? Are there things you add to improve taste, and if so, how much does it help?

Depends on the strain, freshness, company selling it, how it's stored. Most people don't find it extremely unpleasant. Some strains taste really bad and bitter and some are pretty nice from what I hear.

The taste will be better if you buy fresh stuff from a reputable vendor that has only certified noble kava, and your liver will thank you when it's not soaked in junk from tudei.

Hi all, I have some kava and recently started amitryptiline 25mg for preventing chronic migraine and am taking 5mg Dextroamphetamine for ADD, I already tried Dex and Kava which was nice and not overwhelming, altho I am worried about mixing it with amitryptiline which is a potent norepinephrine Reuptake inhibitor and so is kava, well kava is not as potent but it still is. So has any1 tried a low TCA dose with kava (I dont take alot of kava when I do, about 2-3grams) and Dex which is also a NRI. I know the NRI effect from 3 different drugs is going to stack, I just want to know how much intense it could be before trying it.

Well my first real experience with kava was not pleasant. The main effects were feeling drunk and extremely nauseous, except with none of the fun effects of alcohol like being more social and mild euphoria. I'm considering just giving it to a friend. I don't think there was anything wrong with the product, my body probably just doesn't get along with kava. Oh well, almost everything is worth at least a try.

Can't believe no one else has posted... I have a weird question though.

Does anyone else get a persistent sweet smell in their nose for hours after using kava? It's almost like someone put brown sugar/maple syrup in my nose. It's not like super overpowering and annoying, but it's definitely there every time I use kava.

Can't believe no one else has posted... I have a weird question though.

Does anyone else get a persistent sweet smell in their nose for hours after using kava? It's almost like someone put brown sugar/maple syrup in my nose. It's not like super overpowering and annoying, but it's definitely there every time I use kava.

I haven't noticed this, but I also don't have a great sense of smell

Well my first real experience with kava was not pleasant. The main effects were feeling drunk and extremely nauseous, except with none of the fun effects of alcohol like being more social and mild euphoria. I'm considering just giving it to a friend. I don't think there was anything wrong with the product, my body probably just doesn't get along with kava. Oh well, almost everything is worth at least a try.

If you felt drunk and nauseous you did too much. Don't write kava off yet, the effects can vary a lot from use to use and with dose. Keep on experimenting with lower doses.

If you felt drunk and nauseous you did too much. Don't write kava off yet, the effects can vary a lot from use to use and with dose. Keep on experimenting with lower doses.

Very good advice. Different prep methods and products can help a ton with preventing nausea.

I don't want to let die this megathread since I'm starting to love kava so much!

Is great, I like how it works. The bad thing is that, for me, is quite inconsistent, one day I get so tipsy and another I'm quite euphoric for like 2 hours and another I feel almost nothing, I don't know how to control it, I think I still don't know how to create a potent grog or maybe there's other stuff that I'm not aware.
I tend to drink it within empty stomach and all.
I think I prefer heady varieties but heavy are better for me since I have insomnia sometimes.

I'm again bumping this (won't do it a third time...:violin:)

I'm quite krunk at the moment, I seriously don't understand how people call this plant "subtle", I don't see it "subtle" at all, maybe is because I'm not used to benzos (which I generally hate)??

I'm pretty useless at the moment, need to do my dinner but I would prefer to stay in my bed listening to music, cause this is sedating as fuck (strong melo melo cultivar) I only used 2-3 tablespoons and makas of 2 days.. (2 "extractions" each day).
I don't know, maybe I'm very sensitive to it? For sure the reverse tolerance works, no doubt about it, it's like once you take it several days in a row you get krunk very easily, specially the sedating effects come strong and reliably. I've been sleeping so soundly this last days even during kratom tapering.
I'm happy about it cause normally kratom tapering and withdrawal gets me into a horrible state of restlessness and insomnia and I don't want that at all (since I need to gain some weight I lost during the last stressful months). It seems quite true that kava potentiates dreams, I don't get better dream recall (my major "problem" with dreams) but they are incredibly vivid and real, not to the point of lucidity, tho.

I would like to find a really heady kava since the last two I got are mainly heavy or balanced, it's good but I think I would like to share a heady one with friends rather than a heavy. I live in Europe, could anyone help on that?

Viva Kava!

EDIT: these days I'm tapering kratom and using mitragyna javanica as a substitute (mainly). I have the suspiction that javanica is a light sero releaser by the effects that I get from it (little stomach glow/butterflies, spacyness...). Perhaps the slight mind-fuckery I'm getting from kava some days is really the javanica being powered by the CYP3A4 inhibition and MAO-B inhibition that kava kava can cause. Not sure tho, but maybe is interesting to some to know. At the moment I'm feeling an amazing glow/buzz and only had 1 gram of kratom 2 of javanica and the aforementioned amount of kava.

Last edited:
@Neuroborean

After more than a year of use, I noticed the same things: inconsistency in the effects (same dose, on an empty stomach, same preparation...), insomnia with certain strains.

It's not that subtle indeed.

I didn't know for CYP3A4, but yes it's a MAOI (mild I think) and also an NRI. I believe it also acts on gaba and NMDA receptors.

To find a heady kava, maybe you should look at the reviews on kavaforum, I think we have the same seller (there aren't many reliable ones in Europe) and he has a section with comments per strain.

After coming across Kava recently, ita probabaly up there as my favorite drug behind opiates, benzos and pot.

I'm using it as a cannabis and benzo alternative. It works on the CB1 and GABA receptor. After 15 years of pot use i have chaotic anxiety. It satisfys any cravings i have to smoke (havnt actually thought about smoking since I first had it) and is great for winding down or for when I need abit of an attitude adjustment.

I would HIGHLY recommend this plant to anyone.