The "future" of rec chems?

bustabraincell

Bluelighter
from stuff.co.nz today
Cocaine cola may breach rules
By BECK ELEVEN - The Press | Wednesday, 25 June 2008
Email a Friend | Printable View
DON SCOTT/The Press

PACKS A PUNCH: Geoff Percy with a can of the high-caffiene Cocaine energy drink he plans to import - but which may breach food regulations.
Related Links
• Subscribe to Archivestuff
• Comment on this story

A Christchurch man plans to import and sell more than 280,000 cans of an energy drink called Cocaine even though the drink contains 3½ times the legal amount of caffeine.

Cocaine, the drink, is being imported by Wize Marketing head Geoff Percy, who was involved in the BZP party-pill industry.

The New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA) standard for formulated caffeinated beverages sets the upper limit of caffeine at 320mg per litre, or 80mg per 250ml. Cocaine contains 280mg in each 250ml can.

NZFSA director of compliance and investigation Geoff Allen said it appeared Percy planned to breach the law. "If he hasn't used due diligence, that's his commercial decision. If it is illegal, and it sounds as though it is, we'll take the appropriate action."

Percy said he had found a report on the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website stating no limit is prescribed if caffeine is a flavouring.

However, that report was presented in 2000, and has no legal or regulatory power. The food standard was set in 2002, and overrides the report.

Percy's big marketing push for Cocaine begins mid-August. He plans to import the drink into Australia, Ireland and New Caledonia.

When told by The Press that Cocaine would breach food-safety laws, Percy said he would be consulting a legal team.

He also planned to talk to Cocaine's maker, Las Vegas-based Redux beverages, to see how much of the caffeine came from a natural product, guarana.

Redux has told Percy it can make the drink to order by lowering caffeine levels to fit a country's regulations.

Percy said he had once drunk 1½cans of his product at 5pm, and had "managed" to get to sleep by 2am. "But I was pretty motivated before that."

The $2.99 drink would be marketed as restricted to people 18 and over, and drinkers would be urged to practise moderation.

"Look, even too much KFC or McDonald's can kill you," he said. "There are a heap of drinks out there, from colas to herbal teas, that are over the limit too.

"It's all about moderation and personal responsibility. The stance we're taking is that it needs to be regulated, and that's why it's going to be R18.

"I'm confident it's going to be a hit. This has three times the amount of caffeine than Red Bull, and people only have to have one not three. Why put so much fluid into your body?"

Dr Mark Richards, a Christchurch cardiologist and the National Heart Foundation's professor of cardiovascular studies, said the high dose of caffeine in Cocaine could trigger rapid heart rhythms and anxiety.

"Generally, you'd be setting people up for jitteriness, anxiety, a bit of tremor and increased heart rate. There is probably a sub-set of people who are vulnerable to changes in heart rhythm and over-rapid racing rhythms that might be triggered by a dose of that amount.

"It seems a little excessive and unnecessary. Most young people will come to no harm from having a big slug of caffeine like that but it's going to be an unpleasant experience for some," Richards said.

280mg a can is pretty steep. That is like having a triple espresso. One is about as much as anyone should ever have.

Makes me wonder what would happen if people started ordering cocaine and vodkas at bars. It is already bad enough with people ordering 10 Red Bull and Vodkas in a night and not even realizing the trouble they are causing.

Maybe people should be properly educated on the harm and hurt caffeine can cause, because most people consider it an afterthought.

yet anyone can walk into a chemist and purchase a packet of No-Doz Plus (100mg caffeine per tablet) without a concern???

am I missing the point here?

yeh seems silly but you can walk into a petrol station and buy either paracetamol/ibuprofen/no-doz (caffeine) all bad in high doses. If say paracetamol was in a drink you could be sure the levels would be controlled even though you can buy it otc or even from unlicensed shops.

I guess the point is if a certain substance is packaged and marketed as a take the whole thing in one dose product then the levels of substance and size of bottle are going to be monitored and imo this is a good thing for 'silly general public' safety.

280mg a can is pretty steep. That is like having a triple espresso. One is about as much as anyone should ever have.

Well, one is how much someone without a tolerance to caffeine should have. Right now I've got a tolerance that lets me drink several coffees and bottles of V a day, which isn't a good thing seeing as it costs me more money to get the same amount of energy out of them :\

yet anyone can walk into a chemist and purchase a packet of No-Doz Plus (100mg caffeine per tablet) without a concern???

am I missing the point here?

yeh seems silly but you can walk into a petrol station and buy either paracetamol/ibuprofen/no-doz (caffeine) all bad in high doses. If say paracetamol was in a drink you could be sure the levels would be controlled even though you can buy it otc or even from unlicensed shops.

I guess the point is if a certain substance is packaged and marketed as a take the whole thing in one dose product then the levels of substance and size of bottle are going to be monitored and imo this is a good thing for 'silly general public' safety.

Yeah, agreed with both of you. Especially since the guy's schtick seems to be you only need one of them and you're set for a while. There will be people who abuse them and end up feeling sick, but you could say the same thing about many legal products, like APAP or ibuprofen, as mcwally pointed out, or even many of the supplements you can buy from health food stores. You shouldn't let people who don't use common sense ruin it for everyone else. :)

I say send it over to Oz it will boom I don't think our laws would let it get past the boarder though if it does I say YAY!

Something that will help me stay awake and study... Red bull's just aren't doing it for me anymore lol..

mushi mushi 88 said:
I say send it over to Oz it will boom I don't think our laws would let it get past the boarder though if it does I say YAY!

Something that will help me stay awake and study... Red bull's just aren't doing it for me anymore lol..

That's because you have become desensitized to caffeine. I was at the point years ago where 4 nodoze (equal to 4 x redbulls) at once wouldn't even charge me up.

It gets to be like that to a certain extent with all stimulants. Some more so than others.

That drink seriously sucks. They make it burn because they think that's what snorting cocaine's like (the burn is nothing like snorting anything)
I don't think it should be on the market. It just encourages little kids to binge drink energy drinks and later, to think drugs are cool and for benging. I've seen way too many little kids at the mall..
Hey, lets get a cocaine and have a chugging race!
Then they start jumping around like they're high, before any amount of caffeine could possibly be absorbed by their digestive system..
seriously people...Cocaine energy drink? "the legal alternative"?
Comon....Just get some real blow.

It's almost ironic that someone is trying to pass caffeine off as cocaine ;) False advertising though. They should think of a name that actually relates to the content of the product, .e.g "shitload of caffeine". I guess that doesn't have quite the same ring to it that 'cocaine' does.

Well..
A shitload of pure uncut powder caffeine up one's nostril is quite different than a shit load of sugarized caffeine down one's throat. :p

LOL
Have you seen Blow energy drink mix? It comes in white powder with a fake blow credit card (even though razors cut lines better) and a little "mixing" straw...
It's so fucking obvious.

btrswiet7u4ia said:
Then they start jumping around like they're high, before any amount of caffeine could possibly be absorbed by their digestive system..

My experience would suggest that caffeine can be absorbed sub-lingually very very quickly. Chew up a no-doze and let the powder sit under your tongue and tell me how it goes. The couple times I tried it, the caffeine seemed to kick in within a minute. This is off topic though and your point is quite valid regardless.

Have you seen Blow energy drink mix? It comes in white powder with a fake blow credit card (even though razors cut lines better) and a little "mixing" straw...

I find laminated cards are best. The stuff you get from cheapo video stores and stuff. Also not as dangerous as razors. But again off topic and your point is still very valid either way. :)

Perhaps these drinks should be encouraged, because, as they are banning most others, in a few years, caffiene will be all that we are alowed...