• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The "Entourage Effect"

Yeah, it's easy to get isolated terpenes, isolated CBD and isolated THC from the marijuana and/or hemp plant. It's also easy to get a unique profile from each flower strain.

I like using CBD to lower the ceiling of how much THC is absorbed as well as increase the effects from micro doses of THC.

Easy enough to do a trial. Take pure CBD or pure THC and compare the effects to CBD hemp or marijuana. If you look at the mechanisms of the phytocannabinoids and terpenes you'll find that they overlap, which unless they work in exactly the same manner, will mean that there is synergy (given that the whole plant doesn't feel or produce the effects of CBD and/or THC).
Yeah, it's easy to get isolated terpenes, isolated CBD and isolated THC from the marijuana and/or hemp plant. It's also easy to get a unique profile from each flower strain.
I could also go on leafly and get similar anecdotes.

I've done plenty of my own anecdotal trials, which were and are all biased based on my own opinions and current physiology.

I don't think you understand the point of this thread, as I am trying to rule out assumptions, which make up the vast majority of claims, assuming everything works intuitively. The same questions occur with statements like that... what effect at what dose, are the chemicals found in plants being changed by ROA, and what sort of things that occur that are counterintuitive?

I see a database in your future.
Have you looked at any of the published literature I have posted? It is quite a database that I'd like to keep adding to. Leafly, CD, reddit, etc are full of "tests" as you describe. I'm curious about the actual science though.

My understanding is that CBD changes the shape of the receptor it's binding to, in turn changing the binding ability of THC to that same receptor site.

CBD and THC, as two separate active cannabinoids, certainly alter the subjective experience over just one or the other. Just like combining any two active drugs will do. But I suspect you are talking more about the dozens of other terpenes besides CBD and THC. I can offer no evidence there and would really just be speculating but I wanted to mention that it shouldn't be difficult to see how THC and CBD together will alter the effects over pure THC.

I could also go on leafly and get similar anecdotes.

I've done plenty of my own anecdotal trials, which were and are all biased based on my own opinions and current physiology.

I don't think you understand the point of this thread, as I am trying to rule out assumptions, which make up the vast majority of claims, assuming everything works intuitively. The same questions occur with statements like that... what effect at what dose, are the chemicals found in plants being changed by ROA, and what sort of things that occur that are counterintuitive?

Have you looked at any of the published literature I have posted? It is quite a database that I'd like to keep adding to. Leafly, CD, reddit, etc are full of "tests" as you describe. I'm curious about the actual science though.

The entourage effect is much more theory as opposed to hypothesis.

Not only do various cannabinoids bind to and/or change the shape of receptors, so does beta caryophyllene, a popular terpene.

caryophylline may bind to cannabinoid receptors in solution but as far as i can tell it's not very druglike, exposure to caryophyllene neither potentiates cannabis nor has a cannabinoid effect probably due to its very low BA

Terpenes in general are used to create synergy (in food, drugs, etc) by causing chemicals such as serotonin to be released via olfactory to compliment the drugs (or food) you are using them with.

BCP is more than an exception however. It's remarkably similar to CBD in therapeutic effects, in addition to being a classical terpene. Transdermal applications are making quick advances in the medical field using BCP and I'd imagine other ROAs as well, making the BA a non issue. It will only be a matter of time before the FDA has their eyes on regulating this remarkable chemical, just as they have their eyes on CBD, etc, exploding in popularity.