• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The effect of drugs on fitness

ZDiamond

Bluelighter
I was wondering if drugs had an effect on someone's ability to workout, recover, etc,. Are there any studies and does anyone have any experience or informarion about this?

What drugs are you talking about specifically?

I can tell you almost any drug will likely cause a decrease in workout quality, motivation, recovery, strength, etc.

If one cannot moderate substances properly the gym often gets left behind.

Things like stimulants cut into much needed appetite for eating proper nutrition to fuel gains.

If you can moderate and maintain things like sleep, eating and working out, drugs won't really get in the way.

If you can't maintain these three things: sleep, eating and working out frequently, than ultimately your fitness will suffer greatly.

Edit: But like I said, plenty of serious bodybuilders / high level professional athletes use drugs for fun. If you can hit the bar friday night and blow down an eight ball of Cocaine, but come Sunday you're eating a 3 egg omelet, running a 5K and hitting a 2 hour weights work out at the gym, followed by chicken and rice dinner and in bed by 11 PM, you can be looking as good as Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

Last edited:

I can tell you almost any drug will likely cause a decrease in workout quality, motivation, recovery, strength, etc.

Things like stimulants cut into much needed appetite for eating proper nutrition to fuel gains.

If you can moderate and maintain things like sleep, eating and working out, drugs won't really get in the way.

If you can't maintain these three things: sleep, eating and working out frequently, than ultimately your fitness will suffer greatly.

Cannabis can be very useful for cycling, as well as other endurance excercises. It isn't performance enhancing in the traditional sense. It wont make you faster in the short term, but it's a stellar endurance enhancer used responsibly. A couple puffs of a sativa or sativa cleaning hybrid consistently makes it so that I can make it home when I push myself a couple miles too far when cycling, I soon feel strong enough to make it back. Some Gatorade, a Clif bar or an energy gel, and 2 hits of sativa weed, and I can generally push on for another 5-6 miles relatively comfortably.

Be careful if you try it though, it will hit you much, much harder than smoking under normal circumstances. If you try it, keep your speed lower than normal and consider walking particular technical sections...

Used to take ephedrine before a work out regularly, but it makes me way to anxious now.

I was always a bodybuilder first but weekend clubber, as such I never hit any dizzy heights with BB, and I never really had the appetite either, in reality I guess I used to swing between gym and clubbing in terms of intensity. When your younger you can do that. If I go out on stims now I need recovery time. But I'd say overall, workouts would suffer.

Before drugs, I workout practically every day, I had a six-pack and all that, I ate very healthy. Now my six-pack are hidden under a deep layer of fat lol and I haven't exercised in almost 2 years.

As others have said I used to be a twice-a-day gym rat, for the last 10+ years. Then I relapsed last July and that all stopped. Like not even gradually either.
My drug is meth and I know some people are able to use it in their workouts but I get too preoccupied doing unproductive, less physical fun stuff (besides work).
It also makes me EXTREMELY self conscious in public like there's a giant spotlight over me the the whole time. And if I'd already been awake a whole night or longer I become overly self aware of every little move I make from the way I'm breathing to how I'm standing. Like I'm under a microscope or something. So the gym would probably be no Bueno lol.
Also, as far as a stamina booster, it does fuck all for me.

During 8 months of meth use I barely exercised and spent a lot of time in my room doing fuck all but being high.

However when I quit I jumped straight back into exercise and found my underlying level of fitness was pretty much still there. The meth binge did not seem to have made me particularly unfit or damaged my capacity for exercise.

I would say that certain drugs might make motivation more difficult at times.
I’m a heavy opiate user but overall fairly healthy in that regard. I’ve been vegetarian for 20 years. I specifically like to do juice cleanses but tend to lose interest having to make all the juices etc. it’s really a lot doing all that juicing. Haha. I get in kicks were I like to do focus t25 workouts and stuff (Shaun T! Badass) but I think I lack more in motivation because it canget boring doing that stuff by yourself, instead of actually lacking in motivation bc. I’m lazy from drugs.

Edit: But like I said, plenty of serious bodybuilders / high level professional athletes use drugs for fun. If you can hit the bar friday night and blow down an eight ball of Cocaine, but come Sunday you're eating a 3 egg omelet, running a 5K and hitting a 2 hour weights work out at the gym, followed by chicken and rice dinner and in bed by 11 PM, you can be looking as good as Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

Drugs like Lyrica, percs, hallucinogens, along those lines. I usually work out around 3-5 pm, do you have any tips of when I should take them? I know a Lyrica high is quite long, I read it was around 12 hours if you took high enough of a dose, say 700-900mg. How about Endocet and Percocet? I don't have access to cannabis or hemp oil, heard that gives you a boost.

yeah, well many drugs affect your hormone levels which can be sad.
you can also have good effects on your fitness by using right drugs, which aren't the most popular.