3206.jpg

Antonín Dvořák [1893] - The Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"

0:00 - I. Adagio - Allegro molto
9:16 - II. Largo
21:24 - III. Scherzo: Molto vivace
29:06 - IV. Allegro con fuoco

played by Gimnazija Kranj Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Nejc Bečan [2018]

Last edited:
These days i nearly exclusively listen to "classical" music so i suppose ill bestow a hidden gem onto you all:

Dussek is obscure but i enjoy his music, these major pieces in particular;

nice thread. i'm an aboloute novice when it comes to classical music but i have enjoyed everything i have heard from vaughan williams - it frequently just evokes england...

i also have, on my iphone, a copy of holst's 'the planets' by the london symphony orchestra which i love.

alasdair

If any one is interested here is volume 1 of arrangements i have made of bach.

Volume #2 is coming soon. There are 6 in total, including a dedicated album for fugues containing the best of Bach's fugues including selections from art of fugue and the musical offering. I made these years ago but only recently published them. Its selling far better than i imagined with alot of sales coming from Japan and Europe (specifically Germany). These interpretations of mine are an acquired tasted and designed to seperate the voices (which allows for one to really get a sense of the counterpoint involved).

375px-Gaudete.jpg

Gaudete (anon c1582)

performed by Steeleye Span

Translation :

Rejoice, Rejoice, Christ is born
of the Virgin Mary, Rejoice!

The hour of grace which we seek is here.
We offer with devotion our songs of gladness.

God is made man, a thing of wonder.
The world is renewed by Christ's reign.

Light has arisen. Salvation is come,
Bursting the gates of death.

Our congregation lustily rejoices now,
Giving blessing to God, our Saviour and King.

Gaudete is a sacred Christmas carol, thought to have been composed in the 16th century. It was included in Piae Cantiones, a collection of Finnish/Swedish sacred songs published in 1581. From the Bohemian song, "Ezecheelis Porta", which Finnish clerical students would have encountered in Prague and which shared a tune with a Czech vernacular Christmas song that still survives. Finno, the editor of "Piae Cantiones", was probably responsible for the refrain. It adapts the words of one of the medieval verses to the music which, in various forms, was sung throughout Lutheran Germany to Luther's single-stanza grace before meals, "Danket dem Herren".​

Chopin: Fantaisie Op.49 (Kissin, Zimerman, Pollini, Rubinstein, Michelangeli et al)​