• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

The Classical thread

ashwolf22101

Bluelighter
Running with the wild horses in ketamine land
Frederic Chopin

He has always been a favorite of mine
When I was younger this was one of my first songs I learned to play on the piano. Still one of my favorite classical piano pieces today. So rich with emotion. Really matched with what I was going through at the time.

AlexNillson88

Greenlighter

Erik Satie [1888] - Gymnopedies #1 ~ Gnossiennes #1,3,4,5

Album: Works for Piano Solo and Piano Duet
Pianist: Anne Queffelec
Artwork: Edouard Leon Cortes

Tracks:
0:00 Gymnopedies #1
3:32 Gnossiennes #1
6:52 Gnossiennes #3
9:33 Gnossiennes #4
11:52 Gnossiennes #5

An eccentric, Satie was introduced as a "gymnopedist" in 1887, before writing his most famous compositions, the Gymnopédies. He also referred to himself as a "phonometrician" (someone who measures sounds), preferring this description rather than musician.
this is an unrealistically cool selection. A few years ago, I just couldn't tear myself away from these compositions. Thank you for reminding me of these wonderful melodies

Asclepius

Bluelight Crew

"I need hardly remind the reader that the orchestral piece universally known as 'Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain' is an orchestral composition by Rimsky-Korsakov based on the later version of the Bare Mountain music which Mussorgsky prepared for Sorochintsy Fair."

— Gerald Abraham, musicologist and an authority on Mussorgsky, 1945"

Who'd have thunk that creativity came from one, true source?!? ( there is a distinction between inspiration and plagiarism that has been fought over for aeons):unsure:

Gormur

Bluelighter
Niccolò Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A-minor Sergej Krylov, violin Fabio Luisi, conductor La Scala Philharmonic

mr peabody

Moderator: PM
Staff member

Sergei Rachmaninoff [1892] - Prelude Op 3 No 2 in C Sharp minor

Played by Evgeny Kissin

Sergei Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-sharp minor, Op. 3, No. 2, is one of the composer's most famous compositions. One of five piano pieces entitled Morceaux de fantaisie, it is a 62-bar prelude in ternary form. This work was one of the first the 19‑year‑old Rachmaninoff composed as a "Free Artist," after he graduated from the Moscow Conservatory on 29 May 1892. He performed this new work for the first time at one of the concerts of the Moscow Electrical Exhibition on 26 September 1892.

Last edited:

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Oddly enough I almost exclusively listen to what people call "classical music". I am a bit of a composer, even professionally (film) on a few occasions.

Here is a nice wagner transcription. Liszt was a bit of a hack of a composer (being not a true polyphonic writer, though we are both hacks in that regard) but his transcriptions are incredible. Here is one.