• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

" THE BOOT CAMP OF LIFE "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Bluelight Crew
THE BOOT CAMP OF LIFE

We delude ourselves that we want to imbue our children with honesty; instead we want to imbue them with our particular form of dishonesty. ~ Sidney Harris

Some of us are so damaged by our dysfunctional childhood that we can not unlearn everything our parents taught us. When this happens, you must make your dysfunction work for you. A good way to begin is to remember that your family is a boot camp designed just for you. In the heat of battle every brutality and indignation that soldiers have suffered in boot camp becomes an immediate reflex that helps them fight, kill, and survive. This is how you should feel about your family. As you move out into the adult jungle, you're prepared for battle. Not only are you ready on a hair-trigger to detonante a flexible array of adult issues, but you've been rigorously trained to handle the operational systems of adult institutions, including passive aggresion in the school system, guilt bartering in organized religion, and dominant-submission patterns between corporations and government.
As you look back on your unhappy childhood, you realize that your dysfunctional family has prepared you to survive in a dysfunctional world.

( mantra )

Thanks to my dysfunctional childhood, I'm ready to kick some adult ass.

from the book of DAILY AFFLICTIONS

by Andrew Boyd

Last edited:
Noodles, I just think you're the coolest.
And so is this, I think I'm going to have to come back and read it about three, maybe four, more times.
The last two years for me have been a big circular path of breaking out of the thoughts of my childhood environment, learning how to live outside of all that, realizing how much it was still a part of me after all, and then moving as far away from it as I could get. Needless to say, I've had to put some thought into all of it. We are all a product of our upbringing - and not nearly enough people ever stop to realize that it isn't a final verdict on who we are, but preparation for the choices we will make. Thanks for the reminder Noods, maybe it's time for me to think back on all of it one more time as a "retrospective" rather than a "current event". :)

Puts a better perspective on the term "dysfunctional" family, for better or for worse.

well I never thought of it that way, thanks for the enlightenment:) love it.

That is so true, I was just talking with a friend about this today. Everything we do and every action we take involves our past and since most of us lived with our families for 18 or so years of our lives, that is a lot of past to deal with.

Getting my degree in psychology has definately helped me to see things with an open mind. I dont get as upset at people for their actions either, I try to think and tell myself that I don't know what has happened in their past. I have also noticed my reactions to situations stem a lot from my upbringing.

^^ In a way, beautiful, you have. We got a you in our life, and I for one am very grateful to your mom and dad for shagging that time. :)

Read this again, funny how a few months can make one paragraph mean something different. Now that I've had time to really start missing my parents and siblings and nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts... I'm grateful for all that training. Survival skills are coming in handy! And so is unconditional love, support, and a sense of humor.

Dagny said:
^^ In a way, beautiful, you have. We got a you in our life, and I for one am very grateful to your mom and dad for shagging that time. :)

How is it Dagny manages to come up with the perfect compliments, for everyone?

Awesome post....

And thanks to n00ds as well - I missed that the first time round. The family stuff doesn't totally apply, but I'm taking from it the lesson of trying to improve yourself from your bad experiences...

Status
Not open for further replies.