Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Bluelighter's Guide to Moving Out of Home

Moving this weekend... good places to buy stuff

Hey,

I'm moving this weekend and have hired a car for Sunday. It won't take me long to move as I have bugger all stuff but I want to make the best use of the car that I have. I need to get things like storage units, a fridge, microwave, and lots of other necessities like that.

Ideally I don't want to/can't afford to buy everything (or even anything) new given that second hand stuff can be pretty decent and cheap.

Can anyone recommend any good places to go looking? Do you know if things like the St Vincent de Paul shops are open on Sunday's? Or any other good places like that to get decent'ish stuff for an ok price?

[PS: I'm in Sydney (city'ish) but can travel] :)

Auctions---

i used to work dealing with numerous auction houses in sydney that sell everything you need for very cheap. only problem might be that you would have to be available on a week day.

the best and cheapest one near city-ish would be `Lawsons` in Annandale, viewing is on thursday evenings and friday mornings before 9am, then bidding starts at nine.

if you cant be arsed waiting around all day to bid on things you can leave absentee bids before 9am and call them later to find out what you got.

things i have bought there-

fridge -$80
w/machine - $30
dryer - $40
rugs - between $10 & $100
couches - well shit, where do i start ? i have a bit of a fetish for lounges and i have never paid more than $150, and that was for a 3 piece club lounge [one of which i latter sold on ebay for $680].

all good quality stuff and heaps cheap. it beats any vinnies or second hand store hands down, and i can promise you this as i used to watch dealers come in and buy a table for $20, polish it, then flog it off in newtown for $200-$300.

if you need help moving i can point you in the right direction too,cause there are a lot of crooks out there. i used to be one;)

good luck:)

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into doing that. So the auction is each week at 9am on a Friday?

Don't need any help moving - I can do that alone. I really don't have much stuff.

Junkyards....like proper junkyards. They have to have a crazy man. And preferably a pet.

But they have all sorts of awesome stuff.

There is one across the road from my place that will serve you red wine in a martini glass on a saturday morning, and we found a foosball table, an awesome dining set, a mini pool table and so much cool stuff (none of which we bought).

But that's in melbourne.

Mary Poppins said:
But that's in melbourne.
Helpful. ;)

But, while we're playing that game, there is a couple of second hand furniture stores in Clayton in the Melb SE suburbs called Vincent Raux and Sons that are awesome. They always have new stuff coming in so every price is negotiable just so they can make more room.

From the one place I got a TV cabinet, sofa bed (with 2 matching single seaters) a couple of side tables all for a cheaply negotiated price. My greatest win from there was a 2.5m x 1.5m glass dining table that they delivered to my house for a grand total of $200.
14.gif

^ No sorry, that probably should have been clearer. The glass table was $200 (still one of my best investments ever).

I can't remember how much the rest of it all cost, but it was all cheaper than I would have expected, all good quality and all negotiable.

I got an absolutely stunning octagon-shaped designer table from the salvo's for $80! It was modern and without scratches - must've been worth in excess of $1000 [even $2000] by the way it looked. Seriously, it was like something you'd expect to find in the house of a royal family!

I saw it just as it was being dropped off [had no intentions of even shopping at the salvo's] but I enquired about it. The guy working there was obviously clueless about the value of such an item, and seemed to question whether he was ripping me off at $80 =D. I didn't try and convince him... $80 was more than a bargain for what it was, in my eyes.

I miss that table! :( Oh, and I have no constructive advice for this thread.

... :(

That table sounds cool though ;)

Last edited:
Excellent info about the auctions.

I knew there were amazing deals to be had at them but i was always at work so never really considered them an option. Absentee voting might become my new favourite toy.

I'm just going to merge this with the BLers guide to moving out of home to keep all the good info in one place :)