• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Big Day Out 2006- organisers issue warning

hoptis said:
"Sniffer dog operations by the police treat young people like criminals and create resentment towards the police," Ms Rhiannon said.

^^^^^
As well as creating an atmosphere that promotes irresponsible drug use.

Actually its a fine way to waste my tax paying dollar. How bout fixing the hospitals and schools crisis rather than spending shit loads of money on only catching kids just out of a good time and only have a couple of pills and a stick of pot on them.

Just needed to smell the air smell the pot at the bdo to know those dogs are there just for show.

I'm sure alot of the pot came in from via the fence jumpers but alot more would of just gotten past those dogs.

Know of one guy who got caught with ONE joint at the Melbourne BDO yesterday. Father of 3...got taken from the gate, ride in a cop car and spent 2 hours at the cop station. Wasn't charged, got given a warning...but seriously what a waste of police resources for ONE joint!

Melbourne BDO

Sniffer dogs succumb to the heat
30 Jan 2006

POLICE sniffer dogs succumbed to the heat yesterday, only catching 30 Big Day Out revellers with small amounts of drugs.

The two dogs, called to monitor the Big Day Out for the first time in the event's history, went home after 3 1/2 hours as searing temperatures forced their minders to call it a day.

Inspector Paul Tottage said the dogs could not handle the muggy weather. "They just got too hot," he said. "It was too humid for them."

The dogs found small amounts of cannabis and ecstasy on patrons.

None of those caught with drugs were transferred to police stations, and 11 were placed on drug diversion programs.

"The hit rate for the dogs has been relatively low," Insp Tottage said.

From Herald Sun

<event details snippped>

St John Ambulance spokesman Darren Johnson said almost 80 patients had been treated by late afternoon, most for heat exhaustion and blisters. One person was transferred to the nearby Royal Melbourne Hospital after suffering after-effects from a car accident on the way to the event.

A police spokesman said the crowd had been well behaved, with no arrests or major incidents up to early evening.

Two drug-sniffing dogs were stationed at the main entrance, in a separate operation to the policing of the Big Day Out. Police made 20 arrests for possession of drugs of dependence. No charges have been laid.

From The Age

I went to the sydney bdo.

Got there around 2pm. For the whole day i did not see one sniffer dog. Whole bunch of cops, no sniffers though.

I was at Melbourne BDO yesterday and didn't see the dogs, after all the hype on here and elsewhere I was a little dissapointed not to see them! Seems like a fairly half arsed effort from the melbourne cops to only have two dogs, but if its too hot for them that can't be helped i spose. More luck for the punters anyway!!!

I'm actually quite surprised they announced that the dogs can't work in heat...from now on if its a hot day can we safely assume that the dogs wont be at their 'best'...therefore they present less of a threat - maybe get to day events a bit later??

well...not sure at what time this occurred, but a guy I know was "detected" by a sniffer dog at the Sydney BDO. He wasn't arrested, just searched and had his half a joint removed, and then was allowed to continue on his way.

StolenBrew said:
...Last year at the lilly pad stage they had a teepee set up for people to smoke weed in and do whatever they wanted

4.gif

Warning: Don't take drugs to Big Day Out
By JOANNA VAUGHAN
02 Feb 2006

THE 20,000 fans expected at tomorrow's Big Day Out festival in Adelaide have been warned sniffer dogs could be called in as police target drug use.

Commander in charge, Superintendent Paul Dickson, said sniffer dogs would be used in "appropriate circumstances".

More than 100 police with sniffer dogs arrested 122 people and made 219 drug charges at last week's Big Day Out in Sydney.

"We will be targeting drugs on the day and sniffer dogs are a policing strategy used to combat the use of drugs," Supt Costello said. Festival goers caught with illegal drugs faced being evicted from the Royal Adelaide Showground event and being arrested.

Supt Dickson said police had received intelligence to suggest many people had taken illegal drugs into the Big Day Out at Wayville at previous years' events. "If you are intending on taking illicit drugs at the Big Day Out then the risks of being apprehended are significant," he said. "We will be targeting these behaviours inside and outside the event."

Uniformed and plain-clothed officers would be involved in operations. "We will be working as a team with the private security guards and the emergency service crews to make the event as safe and as enjoyable as possible," Supt Costello said.

Police would adopt a zero tolerance attitude towards all illegal drugs.

Supt Costello said the "large" police contingent would remain in the area well after the festival finished around 11pm.

"In previous years ,there has been some property damage to the surrounding area and we want to make sure this doesn't happen," he said.

Traffic along Greenhill Rd, between Goodwood Rd and Cooke Tce, would be restricted to 25km/h between 8am tomorrow and 1am on Saturday. Event tickets still were available and could be bought from Venuetix and music outlets.

The weather is expected to be fine tomorrow with a high of 30C.

From The Advertiser

Still looking out for any mention of the Perth event.

skiingseth said:
on jjj they where saying that they where going to be strip searching people 8o
mabe just a scare tacktick i can see how a dog sitting next to you justifies them stripping you!
i wonder if they do a cavity search?? 8(
anyone went to syd BDO

Last year at Sydney BDO, a friend of a friend who was sitting right next to me was arrested by undercover cops. Five minutes previous to this, the cops had "observed" (read: possible entrapment) old mate and his friend selling pills to two random chicks who asked them if they had any pills spare. They hauled them off to the mobile cop-shop they'd set up on BDO grounds, and they were both strip and cavity searched.

So speaking from experience, be VERY careful at BDO. There ARE narcs there, and they WILL bumfinger you.

Hoptis said:
Police can do a "strip search" if they have reasonable grounds for believing that you are carrying a weapon, illegal drugs or stolen property. It should not be conducted in a public space and should be done by a police officer of the same gender as you. Police cannot touch you improperly or conduct an external or internal physical examination without a court order or your consent.

If you are arrested, police will routinely do a "pat-down" search and may remove items of property such as belts, earrings, piercings, necklaces and the contents of your pockets. Make sure that they list all of these items so that you can get them back later.

I have a few questions regarding this... Obviously as stated above there have been stories in Sydney Big Day Out of police cavity searching individuals who they suspect of having drugs on them. I have heard similar stories of this a few years ago outside Home Nightclub in Sydney where allegedly they had a police van setup on site and a doctor where they shuffled people into to cavity search them. Do you need a court order or consent to do a cavity search in NSW or is this only for Victoria? I can see how maybe police bullying got the individuals to "conscent" to the cavity search (also they probably wouldn't have any idea of thier legal rights). Can you simply state that you refuse to give conscent to a police cavity search or will they hit you with charges/penalties similar to if you refuse to take a roadside breath test? Are you well within your rights to at least protest that they take you to a police station to cavity search you?

You say that a strip search is not allowed to be conducted in a public place... now obviously we have all heard the stories of this happening in Sydney... what is the actual truth on this... Is this a Vicorian law? I also read that they have to take you to a police station to stip search you is this true? Can you protest that they must take you to a police station before they strip search you?

Also what is the exact defference between a strip search and an external physical examination (which supposedly needs conscent or a court order)?

You mentioned that police aren't allowed to "touch you improperly" but they are allowed to pat you down... What really can you do to protest such action if they do descide to grope your genitals becuase they descide they want to check for drugs or weapons or stolen property?

Last edited:
Ekstasis-//7 said:
Do you need a court order or consent to do a cavity search in NSW or is this only for Victoria? I can see how maybe police bullying got the individuals to "conscent" to the cavity search (also they probably wouldn't have any idea of thier legal rights). Can you simply state that you refuse to give conscent to a police cavity search or will they hit you with charges/penalties similar to if you refuse to take a roadside breath test? Are you well within your rights to at least protest that they take you to a police station to cavity search you?

I won't quote the whole thing but have a look here (NSW specific):
Aussielegal.com.au - information provided by Ryan & Bosscher Lawyers - Sydney
... the information under the headings 'Your Rights' and 'Specific Searches', would appear to indicate that cavity searches cannot be performed without written consent.

You say that a strip search is not allowed to be conducted in a public place... now obviously we have all heard the stories of this happening in Sydney... what is the actual truth on this... Is this a Vicorian law? I also read that they have to take you to a police station to stip search you is this true? Can you protest that they must take you to a police station before they strip search you?

My understanding is that there is no obligation to take you to a police station, a strip search can be performed anywhere that is deemed "private". A side room, or bus will usually suffice.

As for your other questions, I'm not entirely sure. The wording of the laws aren't entirely clear enough to determine just what is and isn't appropriate in every situation.

Maybe someone with a background in criminal law would care to give it a shot :)