• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Yopo Thread

i've tried to sniff and smoke 3 seeds of anadenanthera colubrina without results
but i heard someone relate an incredible experience he had. worth any smoked 5-MeO-DMT experience

I dreamed I did yopo seeds once a few months back.... peeled off the outer shell from 5 seeds and then ground the stuff inside with a morter & pestle.

It's meant to be snorted I think but I smoked it. There was quite a bit of body load but the trip was very DMT-like, just a bit milder. It lasted about 45 minutes... lots of closed-eye imagery, going through a strange luminous tunnel/maze thingy.... but not particularly insightful.

I still have some seeds left (imaginary, 'cos I don't really do drugs) so I might try 7 or 8 sometime.

Neo

^ lol

hmm...if you just grind the stuff inside up, is that snortable as well as smokeable?

i've never snorted anything besides pepto-bismol
(some lame girls talked me into doing this...blah, it didn't do anything tho, experience was completely neutral in every way)

but i'd imagine snorting isn't too pleasant?

^ Hi Leg,

I've heard that snorting is quite painful, but I haven't tried it that way. I also recall reading that some people like to mix the ground-up seeds with a bit of baking soda (dunno the ratio) to improve absorbtion. Traditionally it was mixed with some kind of lime or shell for the same reasons.

Hee hee.... pepto-bismol. My first ever line was a big fat line of coffee creamer. I was informed that it was coke. Was not impressed with the effects and wondered why everyone was laughing at me!

Nasty ingredients

The main problem with yopo seeds is that they have an appreciable amount of bufotenine (5-hydroxyDMT), which is the metabolic precursor of 5-methoxyDMT in the plant. And the main problem with bufotenine is that it's not a psychedelic; it's actually more of a poison from the reports that I've read.

Unless you want to extract the alkaloids then separate the bufotenine from the 5-methoxyDMT, either smoking or shoving the ground seed up your nose, is going to put bufotenine into your body, and will make you ill.

For plant sources, you're better off with resin from Virola spp., or some of the Phalaris grass spp. (although some of the Phalaris grasses do contain bufotenine as well) as your natural source of 5-methoxyDMT, with a little bit plain ol' DMT alongside it (or other minor tryptamine alkaloids).

LOL neo1
sounds like straight outta that cheech & chong movie haha
(where that girl sniffs baking soda at the party, thinking it's coke)

hmm, that bufotenine thing sounds kinda nasty...
i'll have to do some more research, i guess

is it dangerous?
or just...make you "ill" ?
i dunno what you really mean by that

i just took a low dose of morning glory seeds today
and i felt "ill" basically
but it was a good kind of ill
if that makes any sense
very relaxing...like...it forced me to be relaxed, if that makes any sense
like...an amplification of normal life
(i guess that's what psychedelics kinda are, anyhow, maybe...but i'm getting way offtopic, sorry)

Re: Nasty ingredients

fastandbulbous said:
The main problem with yopo seeds is that they have an appreciable amount of bufotenine...it's not a psychedelic; it's actually more of a poison from the reports that I've read.

Or is it? I don't take a position, as I have no idea either one. I've read all the negativity surrounding bufotenine as well. Then J. Ott did this research with bufotenine...

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=9&z=8

Great read. No reason to assume this research is not valid. I will point out that Ott also claimed 5-MeO-DMT was orally active at 35mg. I know many who have tried to duplicate his findings, and found it inactive orally.

4 and 5 hydroxytryptamines

All the tryptamine derivitives with a hydroxy group in the 5 position are capable of mimicing serotonin in the peripheral nervous system, that's why bufotenine is more of a poison than 5-methoxyDMT. As such, you end up with temp. blood pressure and gut problems. It most probably does have psychoactive effects, but at that dose, it's most probably a hideous body load.
4-Hydroxy DMT (psilocin) doesn't fit the peripheral receptors, so you don't get the poisoned feeling.

MGS

I read the article you posted a link for, and I can see something that makes me slightly uneasy with the thouroughness of Ott's methods. He states that the main alkalois of yopo seeds is bufotenine, but every other article I've looked at cites 5-methoxy DMT as the main alkaloid, so that any extract made would be predominantly 5-methoxyDMT, with some bufotenine. Had there been a stage of chromatographic separation of the alkaloids, I'd have been much more believing of the results, as his tests appear to be with the combined alkaloid extract (he allows solvent to evaporate, so it's not a true fractional recrystallization, so no guarentee of purity) I don't think it's anything like proof that bufotenine is the hallucinogen under test.

Last edited:
Hi FastandBulbous,

Yeah I recently read that article too, but noted this bit:

Identity and purity of isolated bufotenine were verified by mass-spectral analysis and thin-layer chromatographic comparison with an authentic sample in several solvent systems.

So maybe it was bufotenine, if he'd verified it by spectral analysis?

However, I have also read elsewhere that 5-meo-DMT is the predominant componant in yopo. Maybe Ott lives in a different universe!

Neo

I got a chance to try this last night as it goes. One of my friends' Dads had ordered some of the seeds from an online vendor and prepared a snuff using edible lime powder. I checked the vendor's site today, and they sell two different types of seeds, one containing predominantly n-n-DMT along with 5-MeO-DMT and Bufotenine and the other containing mostly 5-MeO-DMT but also n-n-DMT and Bufotenine. I'm not sure which one I had; I'm thinking possibly the one with mostly 5-MeO-DMT as I didn't get any visuals. Then again I only tried a low dose, a small pinch up each nostril.

It wasn't as painful as I expected, no worse than anything else I've snorted. But of course this was just small pinches compared to lines with the other stuff, so I'm sure a higher dose of Yopo could hurt quite considerably.

As for the effects; I came up within about 10 minutes and felt the distinctive tryptamine warmth throughout the body. It reminded me of a low dose of mushrooms, but with the clear-headedness of LSAs. The effects continued for about 30-45 minutes but I could still feel the "tail" of the trip after 1 hour.

Although obviously quite a low dose, I could see the potential for some interesting experiences, and I'd be very interested in exploring this preparation further if/when I get the chance.

I could post this as a trip report if anyone thinks it's worth it... There wasn't really a great deal to tell with it being such a low dose, so I'd probably struggle to expand on what I've already written.

Dan

A bit different

Neo1

All that really says is that when it was run through a mass spectrometer, there was a peak at the same place as one fron a pure bufotenine sample, and that there was a spot on the chromatograph in the same place that bufotenine would produce a spot. So all it's confirming is that there was bufotenine in the sample. You notice that there's nothing about a quantitive assay on the plant extract (wonder why?). Possibly because bufotenine wouldn't come out as the major component.

Also, to paraphrase Jim Royle (The Royle Family - BBC Sitcom);

5-MethoxyDMT orally active at 25mg, my arse

sniffing yopo seeds is not really painful, but really unpleasant.
i suppose it is similar to what would be snorting grounded coffee

This whole thing about weather 5-MeO-DMT is active or not orally without MAOI...

Well, i'm sure lots of us have a good amount (just a gram can be a lifetime supply, well if your not using it all the time i guess), I don't see why we just don't try it ourselves, and eat 35mg or so. If it doesn't do anything maybe eat 50mg.

Also, depending on what we've eaten, there are many things that could possibly "tie up" some of the MAO, like, taking some amphetamine for example.

Lots of things are very slight MAO inhibitors. I would think if someone was sitting on a mound of DMT enough to last ...well, i'll just say, a lot of DMT to play with. All i've read is its not active up to 1g orally. But, if its getting eaten up by MAO, then, i suppose DMT is a slight MAO inhibitor also, just because it would be tieing up the MAO's somewhat, so if you ate like 10 grams...maybe it would work, i mean i'd think SOME certain big dose of DMT would eventually start to saturate the MAO enzymes.

Hell maybe i'll eat 40mg 5-meo-dmt myself soon just to see what happens :)

10g sounds like it might be approaching toxic levels.

thats quite a bit of any drug to ingest.

Eat it

I think what yaesutom is intending is to saturate all the gut MAO so that some can sneak past and actually get into the bloodstream. In that sense, swallowing 10g might (and this is only theoretical) produce plasma levels comparable to those produced by taking an average dose with a MAOI.

It may work, but it's bloody wasteful (unless you live in the amazon basin).

Amphetamine and the like might help, but as it can only achieve a fraction of the inhibition of harmaline at comparable concentrations, I don't think it would be much help

to snort yopo you are supposed to mix it with calcium hydroxide in order for it to be efficiently absorbed through the mucous membrane (i think), i have got some of the seeds but i broke them up with the outer shell on (too stoned to realise maybe taking their outer case would make it easier), been meaning to try them; however, the amazonian snorting technique looks pretty painful, some of them pass out afterwards.

peace

There are some excellent reports on this on edit - source removed
In the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some excellent reports on this on edit - source removed
In the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: