Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread

brokenbeat

Bluelighter
The Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread

stop.gif

Hammer time!

Imagine you're having a trip. You plan on raising it yourself but something goes wrong. Do you abort and with what? Or do you go on to raise it?

Discuss here!

[original post:]

My friend has taken two trips and is flipping out a bit. I just got a call for advice and suggested valium to sedate and relieve anxiety but now am unsure if this is the best thing, can anyone suggest anything. Would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Give them a hug, tell them to remember that it is just the drug making them feel that way and that it will pass in a few hours. Find something to take thier mind off the thoughtloops or whatever is causing them stress.

Personnally I like to use valium like you mentioned above if I get freaked out during a trip.

If it's anxiety, the just use valium; only use something like chlorpromazine if the person is displaying signs of a psychosis developing (no contact with reality etc) - if you don't know, or aren't sure, what constitutes a psychotic episode, then all I can suggest is medical intervention

I like the valium as a last resort only. Short of that, try responding to some of his needs: is the enviroment to his liking? Would he like to be around another friend? Is there music that he thinks will calm him down?

Also, just keeping a close eye on him, and talking to him about how safe he is and how his discomfort is temporary should cool him off. The valium may work better as an immediate placebo than as a sedative.

Best of luck. I hope your friend emerges a stronger person for the negative experience (another reason not to reach for the sedatives at the first sign of rough seas.)

/\ i agree. maybe get him to stretch and writhe a bit if it's a tension thing. breathing it all out can also do amazing stuff. some of the scare factor is personal issues we'd previously left unattended and possibly buried... but some of it may also be excessive energy that may be going stray and can build enormous tension if not flowing freely.

In my experience Benzos do not stop a trip - they just muck it up in a way that you remain very high but lose much of the psychedellia. In my experience, benzos will not lift one out of trip-induced depression. Grof suggests that tranquilizers tend to "freeze" the trauma in the unconscious making it even more dangerous.

I think Opiates, when available, would be a better cure for a bad trip when one is absolutely desparate.

But... as mentioned above, love is the best cure for a bad trip.

I find that something as simple as a change in setting can do the trick. If he's indoors, take him outside or vice versa. A change of music or lighting can also be helpful.

Sometimes it can be a subtle change in environment that can change everything. As others have said, reinforce the positives and assure them that it will end eventually.

It would probably be helpful if you let us know exactly what is bothering him, what he is saying, how he is responding to you etc.

The valium may help, but I tend to think that almost any bad trip can be turned around. At the very least there is some knowledge to be gained even from an unpleasant journey.

yup good advice from atlas.

and if the set and setting are apple pie, and it's still a difficult "bad" trip I think that the quickest way out is

-to face the negative situation that's being avoided. embrace it. It must be felt to the fullest to end the misery-

Yeah dude... its kinda weird, but if you really embrace whatever it is thats making you bug out... it kinda feels good. as strange as it sounds, it definitely does work

Thanks so much - he survived the night and the wigging out subsided eventually. The main problem was everyone he was with were tripping also, so no-one was making enough sense to really help him calm down or re-assure him ( they kept getting sidetracked and it was freaking all of them out too, making him worse). He just felt really uncomfortable, extremely paranoid and confused, didn't think it would ever end, etc But thank-you - excellent advice it really helped

While coming off of miprocin and weed, Vicodin and Weed compeltely took away any trip that was left over and Weed really starts up the visuals again.

I pretty much went from one of my most wildest OEV to sober, was quite awesome since I didn't want to be high anymore. I shouldn't say sober but sober from psychedelics I was nodding off on the vicodin.

atlas said:
I like the valium as a last resort only. Short of that, try responding to some of his needs: is the enviroment to his liking? Would he like to be around another friend? Is there music that he thinks will calm him down?

Also, just keeping a close eye on him, and talking to him about how safe he is and how his discomfort is temporary should cool him off. The valium may work better as an immediate placebo than as a sedative.

Best of luck. I hope your friend emerges a stronger person for the negative experience (another reason not to reach for the sedatives at the first sign of rough seas.)

All good, but don't withold benzos from someone who wants them. That's just plain mean. That being said, I never have used benzos, to stop a trip, i've just worked through stuff, but that was 100% voluntary and my trip wasn't even that bad. if it had continued to get worse to the point where i wanted benzos, i would have been pissed as hell at my friends if they had denied me them.

That being said, a change of setting workes wonders for a bad trip. Especialy going outside. "Outside" is a really cool thing on psychadelics, imo.

Iv'e been through alot of hellish trips and the best thing that saved my mind and soul from the depths of utter chaos (entities included) was the thought of God.

it's the ultimate place to be at peace and one with, with all the high doses of shrooms I have taken (5-10 grams dried on many occasions) asking for God has always pulled me out of some really dark trips.

I'm not a fan of religion but with God, I'm a true believer.

place friend in dark bedroom with no distractions. Place friend in bed of bedroom. tell friend to sleep. leave room.

LikuidKid said:
place friend in dark bedroom with no distractions. Place friend in bed of bedroom. tell friend to sleep. leave room.

Leaving a farily unexperienced tripper alone can be bad imo. Stay away from messy areas too, and like everyone else is saying try going outside.

seek the great mageta the lion, he resides in a tavern west of the big volcano....

Glad to hear it turned out all right :)

I think that doing something (having a conversation, doing something physical etc.) can distract you from negative thoughts. Water is also good. Try changing the setting, one time, on acid, I went from my friends dirty and messy appartment to his neighbor's appartment which was a very clean and nice appartment. It changed the trip pretty much. Different types of music also affects the trip, which you probably already knew.

Stay safe and sane.

Xque.

Experienced trippers should be able to talk down a fellow tripper gone bad. During one of my most intense experiences, a kid I barely knew started freaking out. I took him to another room, and was able to break it down for him. "You have nothing to be afraid of, i"ve been here before, and look at me, I"m ok, etcetcetc." Within 15 minutes he was on flat mental ground, and I had found a new good friend.

a method that worked on me , and has worked on others , is to hide behind a door, and jump out at em and say BOO! make a funny face and wiggle your hands by ur ears, they will start to laugh,