• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Books Thread

I dunno

I can't say I've derived anything as profound from MDMA as I have from LSD. I used to be a huge proponent of candyflipping but actually my LSD trips, I've found, have been better without MDMA. Less manic and synthetic-feeling, if that makes sense. I think it's a nice chemical if used very sparingly but unfortunately it gets a very bad rap mostly 'cause of hardcore abusers and cultural baggage (e-tards? candy ravers? plz). Also, among the psychedelics (if it can be called a psychedelic ,that's another debate altogether), it's currently the one with the most and best research being put into it. Some very exciting work is also being done w/psilocibin but MDMA research is gaining strength. I think MDMA can do good. I don't think it should be oversold but I think we should get behind it as a stepping-stone to the truly great things that can be accomplished w/psychs in clinical practice & in society in general.

^I defintely agree that it 'can' do good, but perhaps not in the current environement. It makes EVERYTHING good, which is a delusion by and large, even if it feels that way. Thats not to say that everythings bad, but I think MDMA is a bt like alchohol; one can become convinced of the correctnessof something without needing any rationality to back it up. If used sparingly, MDMA has potential, perhaps, but it is so far from reality that the effects are almost completely unapplicable, to me at least. Integrating an MDMA experience was largely a process of sleeping and smoking away the blues for me....

^yes, i know exactly what you mean about everything seeming good. i sort of get this off L, but then it's more like we are headed towards a good teleos, "everything's gonna be alright", we are loved & cared for & guided towards an eventual goodness. mdma makes you feel good NOW which can be kind of fake. it's been said that "mdma is like coke but coke makes you love yourself and mdma makes you love others", idk if i agree with that, but mdma can be quite an ego trip itself, it's still "I love", not just "LOVE"

SomeKindaLove said:
^ I think MDMA has a lot of potential in opening you up and in therapy, for PTSD, etc. Unfortunately almost nobody is using it like that. The comedowns are NASTY especially w/dirty product and excessive recreational use, which is almost always the situation that you have in this day and age. However, I think a nasty comedown can be relieved w/supplements like 5-HTP and TLC :) and that there is definately a place for MDMA in the therapeutic arsenal. But if we're talking miracle drug my money is still on good old L, of course.

And I wouldn't hate on shulgin for the potent DOx's, as you said, someone would have, but he ain't the one soakin' sheets in them and singin' out "DOSES DOSES GOT YOUR DOSES" lol. But yeah. They could've waited 'till the legal climate around this stuff is more amicable. Matter of fact, that's the problem w/MDMA too. I think as a society and in terms our level of evolution in consciousness (as the human race) we're just not ready for some of these drugs. Bicycle Day was such a huge paradigm shift for human consciousness and it is one we are still reeling from. All the drugs in TiHKAL/PiHKAL, I don't think we're necessarily read for them. But they are there. And people like us are on the bleeding edge of psychospiritual self-exploration, and for some, that's okay, but for some, it isn't, and that's the mixed blessing that the Shulgin compounds have been.

Best post I've read yet on BL, for what that's worth...

I have a lot of personal faith in MDMA because it definitely saved my life. For a while a was really anorexic, bulimic... but yeah, I was convinced I was fat, and everyone told me I was thin, but I 'knew' they were just lying so I wouldn't feel bad. Anyway, one day I get to roll off some clean pills, and during a bathroom break I saw myself in the mirror without a shirt on and I actually saw the REAL me, not the distortion I was always looking at. I was death camp skinny and completely deteriorated from starving myself, and I had no idea. At that rate I definitely would have died.

Besides that, after going through a really traumatic couple years living with a crack addicted convicted murderer domestic violence prone alcoholic and a cheating whore ex girl friend and her red neck family, I had a lot of, well, PTSD like symptoms, hearing voices from the past, recurring thoughts, panic attacks, recurring nightmares, avoidance of a lot of activities I liked... all that fun stuff. MDMA helped me immensely there, of the course of about three rolls with close friends and my girl friend, I was able to talk out a lot of the past, with each time resulting in a massive decrease in the severity of the symptoms. It wasn't a one shot cure for me or anything, but I no doubt would have suffered far worse for much longer without its help.

Here's a link to that paper I wrote a while back for anyone who's interested, its pretty simple, yet thorough.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=310581

I think a lot of the time MDMA is either seen as a godsend or a curse. Half the rollers I know say its fun but it feels "fake" and "synthetic" while the other half say its truly eye and mind opening and helps you see past these barriers and masks everyone has, etc etc.

Personally, I love rolling and definitely feel that it has helped my life. The interesting thing I notice is that after coming down I still feel like it was so true and eye-opening and magical while my girlfriend feels it was fun but still "fake-feeling".

So I guess I'm the second half, lol.

Tibetan book of the dead

Hey Guys, first time posting a thread so go easy haha!

I have been interested in trying LSD for quite some time now, and have still yet to try it.

I have read pretty much everything there is to read on LSD, including Timothy Leary's infamous manual "The Tibetan book of the dead."

Now, my question to you most clever bunch of Bluelighters' is this, has anyone used this guide whilst in the depths of a trip (whether is be LSD, Mescaline, Mushrooms etc.) ? And if so, would you be so kind to say how it worked for you?

If this has already been asked, please feel free to delete this thread :)

Never even read it -what are you "supposed" to learn from it/do with it ?

I generally stay away from such texts when tripping, I find it to influence my trip too much and sometimes things happen that scare me, confuse me, or simply are beyond my comprehension.

One day maybe...

Peace o/

I watched a documentary on the original Tibetan Book of the Dead (you know, the actual Tibetan version rather than Timothy Leary's interpretation) on acid recently. Found it really rather fascinating and beautiful really. I can see why it was co-opted by the acid evangelists as it could easily be interpreted as some kind of psychedelic guidebook. Would like to read it sometime but - as others have said - I avoid following principles for the psychedelic experience laid down in books as I'd rather find my own path :)

Thanks, Rexeh :)

Not a fan of reading books from a monitor cos it makes my eyes go 8o8(8o but am also skint so may well make use of it. Thanks for the linky :)

Hah, yea thats the one I thought this was gonna be about..
I havn't read Leary's version, though I do have it, so maybe I'll check it out soon

ive tried it on an ayahuasca trip but once the dmt took hold i lost focus and forgot about it. OP, if youve never tripped you will have no need to to follow this during the trip, just let it flow.

I never really liked Learys idea of trying to compare the psychedelic experience to old school religions and stories. It smacked of "oh, i know it's taking drugs but actually it's just like your old religions so don't be scared and please don't send us to prison".

The psychedelic experience is it's own thing.

Hey guys, thanks heaps for your replies!

B9 - It is a book which was originally used many years ago to aid people whilst meditating (I'm pretty sure, don't quote me on that), and trying to experience a higher state of consciousness. What Leary did, was took the old book, and adapted it to the use of Psychedelic drugs. It's basically a manual which is divided into 3 stages (or Bardo's if you will) which someone reads out to you during the trip.

Just a little fact for y'all, if you listen to Tomorrow Never Knows - by The Beatles, John Lennon wrote it whilst using the manual. Though you might like to know :)

How do you want to achieve that higher state without abstaining from mind-altering substances as is required in order to achieve true enlightement? You have to free yourself of the five hindrances to have success with meditation, begin by the first one: sensual desire (craving for pleasure to the senses).

The original book's name was "Liberation through Hearing in the Intermediate State" BTW, Leary is a poor translator IMHO. =D

Peace o/

I never really liked Learys idea of trying to compare the psychedelic experience to old school religions and stories. It smacked of "oh, i know it's taking drugs but actually it's just like your old religions so don't be scared and please don't send us to prison".

The psychedelic experience is it's own thing.

QFT.

Leary fucked us by being a shameless self-promoting fool. We are still paying for that man's ridiculousness.