View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Nutmeg Thread

StaySedated

Bluelighter
i am one of the few who gets good effects from nutmeg. i find it to be an atypical psychedelic rather than a deliriant(idk why people call it this, its not an anticholinergic).

myristicin in nutmeg may be metabolized into MMDA. Shulgin speculated this, as well as others. if it does or doesn't is still a topic of debate, but i did find this:

Because myristicin has hallucinogenic properties, Braun and Kalbhen (1973)
suspected that the allyl group on myristicin might undergo amination. Using
isolated perfused rat liver and rat liver homogenate, these authors reported
detecting 3-methoxy-4,5- methylene dioxyamphetamine

ntp.niehs.nih.gov/chem backround/myristicin.pdf

erowid doesn't have an "effects" page, so heres one i made(from all the experiences i've had and heard/read from others both positive and negative):

*note all effects listed vary between users and are based on experience and what i've heard and researched, not all of these effects should be expected

Postive:
-mood lift/euphoria
-dream like state
-open & closed eye visuals of varied intensity
-relaxation
-cannabis like laughter
-cannabis like "stoned" feeling
-psychedelia/psychedelic mindstate
-feelings of intoxication
-warm feeling throught body/pleasant body high
-increased appreciation of music
-some report empathogen qualites
-some report feelings of creativity, philosophical/insightful thinking, feeling spiritual

Neutral:
-pupil dilation
-bloodshot eyes
-unusal thought and speech patterns, shifts in consciousness
-sedation, stupor
-visual distortion
-increased heart rate
-impaired memory
-impaired motor skills
-dissociation
-drowsiness
-long effects come up and duration
-hallucinations
-high/intoxicated apperance

Negative:

-upset stomach/nausea
-vomiting
-headache
-dehydration
-dry mouth and eyes
-annoying body load
-body aches, stiff muscles
-anxiety, paranoia, or panic attacks
-confusion
-racing heart beat at high doses
-delirium at high doses/overdose
-erratic/bizarre and/or dangerous behavior at high doses/overdose
-delusions and strong hallucinations at high doses/overdose
-possible seizures/convulsions at high doses/overdose
-possible cancer causing substances
-possible hepatoxic substances
-possible nerotoxicity

lower doses feel very similar to cannabis and alcohol, producing a light sedation and a general intoxicated feeling and mild euphoria; moderate doses can produce more psychedelic effects, visuals, possible euphoria, a dreamy state, as well as more pronounced sedation and side effects; higher doses/overdose can induce nausea, vomiting, anxiety, confused states, delirium, severe dissociation, erratic behavior, racing heart, possible seizures/convulsions, as well as toxic effects to the liver and possibly the brain.

nutmeg takes 5-8 hours till peak effects are achieved, so many users take more when they feel little effects after a while leading to overdosage and unpleasant/overly intense trips. dry mouth and bloodshot eyes are similar to cannabis and generally occur at any dose, but worsen with higher doses. nausea is common, but does not always occur and is more common with larger doses.

it's mechanism of action is not really known. it's effects could possibly be due to compounds that the active drugs in the essential oil are metabolized into. despite it commonly being called a "deliriant", it is not an anticholinergic. an article from erowid mentioned action on 5-HT receptors, and this seems likely from my experiences.

nutmeg's effects can last for days, so it is important to dose low and go from there. i consider nutmeg to be psychedelic and i think it being labeled as a deliriant has to do with stories relating to overdoses.

so for those who enjoy nutmeg, please share any experiences or info.

I drank 4 teaspoons worth of ground nutmeg last night, and woke up today feeling stoned. For most of the day, I've been in a dream-like state and time has rushed by. Had pretty bad red eye too. I'd say, apart from the fact that I got a bit of a shock when I woke up, the experience is quite enjoyable. Provided you have nothing important to do, and can just lay about at home, the high is perfectly suited for a lazy day indoors.

It basically feels like being high on bud, but less 'tangy' and more groggy.

Hahaha there will be a flood of appreciation for this hepatoxic deleriant mark my words! From what I've read and heard from friends who have tried it seemed far from any normal psychedelic and much more of a deleriant. It seems like 1 out of 10 like this drug and its liked similarly to Diph. Very few people enjoy the effects and would never try it again.

Both times I tried nutmeg I ate as much as I could stomach without weighing or measuring. Both times I had TERRIBLE experiences where I basically felt like a zombie for the next day and a half. I had bloodshot eyes, couldn't think straight/was hallucinating, and had no appetite. It was basically the same as an unpleasent diph. experience.

It's hard to imagine people have good experiences. Maybe I overdosed though. What is a good dose to start at then if anyone knows? I'd be willing to try it again if positive experiences are possible.

i ate 9 grams at my gmas house when i was 15. for the next 3 days i thought i was dead, like in a limbo. it was fun, for the first day, but i started to lose my sanity by day 2

Is nutmeg hepatoxic? Do we have 100% proof on this? Does this come from various non-psychoactive chemicals in the Nutmeg or does it come from the psychoactive chemicals?

Toxicological evaluation of myristicin.

Hallström H, Thuvander A.

Division of Toxicology, National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden.
Abstract

Myristicin, or methoxysafrole, is the principal aromatic constituent of the volatile oil of nutmeg, the dried ripe seed of Myristica fragrans. Myristicin is also found in several members of the carrot family (Umbelliferae). Several intoxications have been reported after an ingestion of approximately 5 g of nutmeg, corresponding to 1-2 mg myristicin/kg body weight (b.w.). Although these intoxications may be ascribed to the actions of myristicin, it is likely that other components of nutmeg may also be involved. The metabolism of myristicin resembles that of safrole. No information is available, however, concerning the quantitative importance of the different metabolic pathways. The acute toxicity of myristicin appears to be low. No toxic effects were observed in rats administered myristicin perorally at a dose of 10 mg/kg b.w., while 6-7 mg/kg b.w. may be enough to cause psychopharmacological effects in man. A weak DNA-binding capacity has been demonstrated, but there are no indications that myristicin exerts carcinogenic activity in short-term assays using mice. Intake estimations indicate that nonalcoholic drinks may be the most important single source of myristicin intake. Based on available data, it seems unlikely that the intake of myristicin from essential oils and spices in food, estimated to a few mg per person and day in this report, would cause adverse effects in humans. It is, however, at present not possible to make a complete risk assessment, as studies regarding genotoxicity and chronic toxicity, including reproductive toxicity and carcinogenicity, are still lacking.

What suggests that Nutmeg is bad for the body?

Hahaha there will be a flood of appreciation for this hepatoxic deleriant mark my words! From what I've read and heard from friends who have tried it seemed far from any normal psychedelic and much more of a deleriant. It seems like 1 out of 10 like this drug and its liked similarly to Diph. Very few people enjoy the effects and would never try it again.

Show evidence.

some people are just turned off by certain drugs. its stupid. i never talk shit on a drug until i have tried it

^it's mostly internet lore that suggests it. it's always fine to error on the side of caution, though. I've eaten up to 60 grams at 280lbs in body weight at the time, and uh... never turned yellow.

The physical effects are a nuisance, but I enjoyed most of my experiences. Will probably do it again (it's kinda a post-thanksgiving tradition for me. always extra nutmeg leftover); it has less anxiety than an equivalent weed high.

I honestly never had psychedelic effects (trippy thinking) from this drug, although it can consistently produce weak closed-eye visuals at heavy doses. Had open eye visuals once, my first trial, but I contribute that to placebo.

I often compare it to deleriants because of the killer dry mouth and "style" of the CEVs; there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the spattering or motion of colors, or the sudden dissappearance and reappearance of them.

I actually did some nutmeg the other day and definitely enjoyed the effects. It definitely has some psychedelic effects to it. To me its not a delerient at all. When I was walking my dog it was very colorful and saw lots of halos on lights.

Nutmeg helped me through my three-year probation. I am thankful for having such a substance available to me during that time, though I have no desire to do it nowadays.

I've taken large doses of both diphenhydramine and nutmeg (not at the same time), and IMO there is no real comparison between the two, other than they both produce dry eyes and cottonmouth.

The dryness, memory loss and delirium caused by diph is much worse than anything nutmeg can do to you. Diph always gave me dysphoria, confusion, and an inability to remember what the hell I was doing from one moment to the next. Nutmeg, on the other hand, usually resulted in euphoria, stimulation (the first day), and a more interesting and coherent thought process. There was no difficulty remembering things on nutmeg. Just a spacey, glassy-eyed, hard stoning effect.

Here's a tip for ingesting nutmeg:

Grate 2-5 whole seeds with a fine cheese grater into a dish. Pour a large glass of milk, dump the nutmeg powder into it, stir quickly and chug like mad. It's important to do this quickly, because if the nutmeg sits in the milk for too long, the flavor will make the concoction hard(er) to swallow.

Whole nutmeg is always hard to take (especially if you've done it too many times), but I find the milk ROA the easiest to handle. The milk helps the stomach keep the nutmeg down. Grapefruit juice, however, makes things worse, and the one time I combined nutmeg with it was the one I time vomited from these seeds.

I tried it when I was 14 and when my parents sent me away to live with my granny up in the boondocks with supposedly no access to drugs. It was pretty cool. Gave me brain movies. Had a bitch of a hangover to it though .But then I discovered that my grandma had dexedrine and phenobarbital and random opiates and shit left over in the medicine cabinet from like 1973 and stuff like that so I left the nutmeg in the cider from then on. I have an odd desire to try it again, but no 3-4 day period to devote to getting stoned on the damn stuff and then recovering from it. Nor the inclination to mess with my already-beshitted liver. But yeah, it is probably a better drug than it is made out to be in the imagination of many drug users

Show evidence.
Its not the myristicin thats hepatoxic it says right on erowid about how the hopefuls out there(few though there are) that it metabolizes into MMDA. The process is supposed to create hepatoxic metabolites. From erowid itself(I thought you would have read this already why I didn't provide evidence)Whatever it is that causes the psychotropic effect, it is known that various terpenes enhance the absorption. 5-20 grams of the ground nutmeg may be ingested for mild intoxication lasting about twelve hours and followed by deep sleep. The achieve the equivalent experience of 1-marijuana cigarette, one would have to imbibe 10 grams of nutmeg. May cause dizziness, flushes, dry mouth, accelerated heartbeat, temporary constipation and difficulty in urination, nausea, and panic. Beneficial as a spice but not recommended in large amounts as a hallucinogen. Safrole may be carcinogenic, and is definitely a hepatotoxin in larger amounts. Due to the severe side-effects, nutmeg is not a popular street drug. It is used most by underage students who are looking for a legal means of altering their consciousness as well as by prisoners who can acquire it more easily than illegal substances.

Either way its not a worthwhile nor needed high. Try it maybe but theres many better things besides the fact you could technically get the pure chems in nutmeg(although its doubtful all are known). There better alternatives out there and this site is about HR so people won't want to see a drug like this. Inconsistent in strength, inconsistent effects.

I must live in a hole, because this is the first time Ive heard people actually bombing nutmeg???

Does this mean smoking banana skins isnt just an urban mythe???

i just found out that taking nutmeg and black pepper(piperidine source) can affect the metabolism of the nutmeg and create different, trippier effects.