• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Nitrous Thread - Inhalation #2

Depends on a lot of factors. Hypoxia does worse damage the longer it persists. It can cause death, permanent brain damage, recoverable brain injury, or a headache. If you're using canisters, not holding your breath, breathing air between canisters, and not doing it excessively, hypoxia won't be an issue. You can't die from a dispenser. If you're breathing multiple canisters in a row with no breaths between, maybe don't do that. You're not gonna die, nor will a serious injury occur. But it's likely not good for you.

If you're using a big tank, yes you can kill yourself or damage your brain irreversibly.

But what if youre doing say 20 canisters in a row and the only break you have in between is the 2minutes it takes to inflate you and your friend's next balloon?

But what if youre doing say 20 canisters in a row and the only break you have in between is the 2minutes it takes to inflate you and your friend's next balloon?

I would say most likely you are ok. I never seem to have breathing issues nor does anyone I have done nitrous with who is asthmatic and we typically do 100canisters or better per person

Breathe air in between, and don't hold it in. Just breathe the nitrous right back out. Everyone I know who does this gets a better high and there's way less time your brain isn't getting oxygen.

It's not hard.

is it safe to inhale n2o if i have just cured from average cold/flu?
lets say on the first day that i feel ok and stopped taking acetampinophen/ibuprofenum/tramadol.

Does anyone know how many chargers you can safely release into say a 1 Liter dispenser? Tried searching but it seems theres just a ton of random guesses lol.

Had a freaky experience with this yesterday. Wouldn't have mentioned it but the thread is recently bumped so might as well.

I was on an maoi and 20mg of 4-ho-mipt, plenty of smoked cannabis, and a small bump of k. Was having a great time, loaded up a charger and took the hit. I don't do nitrous often and this was my first time trying it on psychedelics. It was AWESOME. For a few seconds I nanged out, laughed my ass off, and basically just tripped out to the tune of 'it's awesome!!'.

Pretty blown away, I waited a minute and then loaded up another. Took the hit and it was GOOD. And for a few seconds I tripped out to 'it's good!'.

Ended up really freaking me out for a second because the first time was a blast and the second time I feel like I had broken it/myself because I didn't do it quite right. Like the first time I had a perfect smile/laugh at the start and it lasted through the experience, the second time it was like my face wasn't right, just not quite as happy and that was the reason the experience wasn't as good. I feel like if I had gone for a third attempt I would have smiled too hard and again missed the experience of the first time with some screwed-up grin.

The second hit of nitrous made me start laughing again, but that feeling stopped me laughing cold, stopped the entire trip dead and I felt totally sober for a few moments with only slight visuals returning afterward. It left me with a very memorable lesson: Jokes are never as good as the first time you hear them.
I realized that I wasn't really getting anything out of it because I was alone. The fact I wasn't sharing the experience with someone I loved made the entire thing pointless, like telling jokes to an empty room. It's a trivially true point I guess but the experience really made it resonate for me and made me want to get on a plane asap and move back in with my girlfriend. Overall it was a good experience because it helped me see that goal, but damn, that hit really shook me.

Chemically speaking I think it's probably more likely the second experience being lesser was probably just tolerance, but I think that's a good enough reason for me to only do one charger per session in the future.

Last edited:
Okay, I keep running into this problem, and it's kinda pissing me off. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I use just a plain old cracker and balloon, and basically every damn time without fail, I'll release somewhere between 1/4-1/2 of the canister's contents, then it's like the balloon becomes too pressurized and gas starts escaping between the neck of balloon and the cracker, sometimes even a little bit from the middle of the cracker- wasting gas and not filling the balloon. So I get NOWHERE.

I've tried a few different things, and it hasn't made a bit of difference the rate at which I expel the gas, the location of the balloon on the cracker, nothing.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Do I maybe just have a shitty cracker?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. It's totally killing the experience.

-PA

Crackers just suck... I'd suggest investing in a whip cream dispenser.

Crackers just suck... I'd suggest investing in a whip cream dispenser.

Yeah, I was actually considering that. I know they were stocked at my shop awhile back, not sure whether they still are....
Mind enlightening me as to some benefits and drawbacks to this? Seems like a rather large investment for something that I do enjoy, but am not THAT into...

But I think I actually may have figured it out anyway. I started doing it with the cracker upside down with the balloon underneath and it has been working WAY better (though it definitely gets A LOT colder- frozen balloon and all haha).
Pretty sure I've been getting nearly all the nitrous out and into balloon with minimal leaking. I've even been able to properly get 3-4 canisters into balloon while losing nearly none of the gas- at least to my senses (sound, touch, and sight).
Maybe I'm an idiot for having done it the other way around in the first place haha.

Appreciate the assistance Xorky, much respect for your hallucinogenic expertise, have seen much of you on BL and Erowid over the years. I also quite like your mod style. Props.

-PA

Dispensers are just next level. A certain popular auction site sells them cheaply as do other sites. Their sweet and convenient to have. Easy to use, nice, and fun!

Never had medical grade n2o until yesterday, only had canisters prior. Let me tell you, the difference is amazing! Finally had a full blown ego dissolution using nitrous!

Never had medical grade n2o until yesterday, only had canisters prior. Let me tell you, the difference is amazing! Finally had a full blown ego dissolution using nitrous!

I've had medical grade a ton of times but just at the dentist office (had the same dentists since I was 10 years old, so he cranks the nitrous up for me as high as I ask) and haven't really noticed a difference. Of course, I haven't been to the dentist on a candy flip, which is the only time nitrous really presents any sort of in depth experience for me (like +++++ easily). As well, the dentists I get ~45 min of a nitrous/oxygen mixture, versus just straight nitrous in one big breath.

Was it just that you maybe had a bigger balloon? Or more of it because it was from a tank I imagine?

I'm always second guessing myself on where the canisters vary in quality. But I SWEAR some taste icky. Either way, I always buy this one kind thats branded and sold by a local coffee store chain, and the nitrous tastes nice and sweet like it should.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know how many nitrous chargers I can release into a 1 liter whipped cream dispenser? Does anyone dangerous happen if you release too many? Will it like pop or just leak out? Explosion lol? I can get 2 in there, but I'm scared to try to put 3 in there.

Last edited:
Some of them can fit 3, and some can't. If it overloads, some gas will shoot back out the hole that you crack it into when you unscrew it or even as it's cracking. Usually what I do is put 2 in there, and get the third ready, then crack the third in after I take my first big lungful.

Some of them can fit 3, and some can't. If it overloads, some gas will shoot back out the hole that you crack it into when you unscrew it or even as it's cracking. Usually what I do is put 2 in there, and get the third ready, then crack the third in after I take my first big lungful.

So my buddies .5 Liter can hold 2. Not sure if that means a 1 Liter could hold 4?

The technique you described is how I managed to do 4 in a row (with oxygen in between) on LSD+MDMA and had a more intense experience than I've had with DMT. But I was like a gunslinger with those cartridges lol, I baaaarely got that 4th one released before i blasted off. This is why I seriously envy places where tanks are a common thing.

I love nitrous it synergies so well with so many substances, opiates, psychedelics, weed, sedatives, uppers, Molly almost everything. Such an underrated substance.

I love nitrous but I just wish it lasted longer.

If I could have a tank that mixed with 50% oxygen like at the dentist it would be amazing.

I do find that whippits have a stronger immediate effect, so I'd probably have some whippits lined up while hooked up to the nitrous/oxygen mix, while occassionally unhooking to do some quick whip its, smoke or vape weed, while high on Kratom, Fluro-Phenibut, and perhaps also a bit drunk and we could throw some shrooms in there.

Yeah, that sounds nice lol.

If I could have a tank that mixed with 50% oxygen like at the dentist it would be amazing.

I've been racking my brain as to how to do this since I had my first breakthrough with doing a "double" of nitrous on LSD+MDMA. The true nature of nitrous is brought out from getting more than one lungful of nitrous in a single experience. You could immerse yourself in the experience for minutes at a time and really explore it, I get giddy just thinking about it. Only way I could think of is having the full dental/medical set up. With that you can simply breath out of your mouth if you want pure oxygen, and nose if you want the nitrous/oxygen mix.

With just balloons or a dispenser you can only get so far since you'll just get too far out there to load another one. Even if someone is feeding you balloons it would be difficult. So much easier to lay back with the peace of mind that you know there is enough oxygen in there medically proven to be safe to inhale continuously for at least a few minutes (hell at the dentist I'm breathing it for like 45 minutes).

Even taking my standard 2 breaths of fresh air between lungs full of nitrous, I really wonder about how exactly the body oxygenates itself, and whether after consecutive lungfuls you'd still be depriving yourself even with oxygen in between.

Not to mention nitrous is waaaayy more lucid and psychedelic if you are properly oxygenated. It's less about how long you hold it, but how many lungfuls you can get. I see so many people basically black out from just hyperventilating on a balloon, they're missing the point! Certainly a lot of what you exhale after you inhale nitrous is a lot of CO2, which would explain why the exhaled "nitrous" into a balloon is not as potent as the first inhalation. No point in huffing CO2 lol...

Last edited:
I have done nitrous in combination with various psychs and dissociatives more times than i can count and it still utterly baffles me. That blinding revelation/epiphany that is somehow paradoxically incredibly simple yet always just out of reach - on the tip of the proverbial tongue - is just so fucking wild. It really does feel like you're being given a peak behind the curtain, so to speak, at some kind of ultimate reality that operates on a far grander scale than we have the ability to comprehend. The closest I have got to explaining it is that it very broadly has something to do everything being cyclical and interconnected and being intrinsically linked to this repeating pattern that visually resembles the flower of life. This is a massive oversimplification of course, most of it is literally impossible and subsequently maddening to try and put into words.

I have done nitrous in combination with various psychs and dissociatives more times than i can count and it still utterly baffles me. That blinding revelation/epiphany that is somehow paradoxically incredibly simple yet always just out of reach - on the tip of the proverbial tongue - is just so fucking wild. It really does feel like you're being given a peak behind the curtain, so to speak, at some kind of ultimate reality that operates on a far grander scale than we have the ability to comprehend. The closest I have got to explaining it is that it very broadly has something to do everything being cyclical and interconnected and being intrinsically linked to this repeating pattern that visually resembles the flower of life. This is a massive oversimplification of course, most of it is literally impossible and subsequently maddening to try and put into words.

Wow, fucking spot on man.

I haven't done DMT in ages. And its certainly different experience, but psych+nitrous for me is on the same level in terms of sheer profoundness of an experience. It gives me this same general feeling of it makes sense for a moment, and then its gone.

The whole peak behind the curtain feeling I think has a lot to do with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

It sort of teases (or completely exposes you to on more intense experiences) with the possibility that everything you've ever experienced is only a projection of your own mind.

When I do nitrous on top of psychedelics, especially LSD, it's almost always the same peak experience except I go farther than the last time. It's of course impossible to explain, but it's this loop of realizations where the endpoint is a universe who is simply tired of existing and wishes for rest. Like riding the line between "on" and "off". Or something. The sound I hear and all these other aspects are always the same, but it'll be like the music that's on, or the voices talking, or the background insects, somehow becomes this same sound. It's quite dark and even a little grim for me but so utterly mindblowing and synchronistic that it's amazing and I love it. I can't keep doing a whole box at once though because after a few times I'm kinda like... okay, I'm done, it got too deep there. And I remember all these flashes but I can never retain more than a little shade of the experience. I always come out of it staring, the coming out feels the exact same every time, just staring straight ahead with my mouth hanging open, and then I shake my head and say "pshhh... pshhh..." for a minute and then it's like "FUCKING NITROUS!!"