• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines The Big & Dandy Mescaline and Mesc. Cactus Thread - 3rd Button

Is this a cactus of the Trichocereus/Echinopsis genus or not? The spines appear to be too dark to me, but otherwise it perfectly looks as one.

We don't really do IDing here, might want to check the Shroomery where they specialize in that sort of thing. Although the quality of that picture is abysmal, there's no way to see any detail at all.

I have to say, poppy pod tea is much more disgusting than the San Pedro brew I just consumed. I am known for my iron stomach, though I admit it was a feet drinking down like a upwards of a L of that nasty warm cactus broth.

I opted to go for the dilute version and deal with the large volume instead of condensing it down to a super alkaloid bitter-rich cup of nasty. I just loath super bitter like that (for instance, I can't stand the taste of DXM HBr powder in solution).

Now to see if I will need to purge =D I still have 1/3 of the approx 1.25L San Pedro broth left. I am waiting for maybe half an hour to let my stomach settle a bit before continuing. Total cuttings used was about 20", so I'm hoping for the best. We shall see. Patience is a virtue with this as in all things.

I definitely missed that famous bitter psychedelic phenethylamine aftertaste ;)

No nausea the other night. It was really beautiful. I need to thank my iron stomach for being such a trooper sometime :)

Nice that you had a worthwhile trip, how was it beautiful? Not that I haven't been there with synthetic mesc, but still - it's personal so I'd like to hear about it. I wonder if I will ever get a more hallucinogenic / visual trip with mescaline. I wouldn't necessarily mind anyway because it is so spiritually powerful and healing which is more valuable than something superficial, surely, but still it would be a great bonus since sensory effects are fascinating and appeal to the imagination.

Hey it's my first post!

Back in 2011 my friends and I were regularly eating 400mg hydrochloride salt derived from peruvian torch. It was always what we considered a sufficient dose, but being naturally curious we started taking larger doses. The highest I personally ever went was 1500mg. It seemed that the insightfulness of the trip went right out the window, and a character of disorientation or dissociation began to take hold. It was certainly fun and challenging, and it was indeed hard to imagine during the trip that normality was anywhere nearby, but the next day I only felt mildly more tired than the usual day-after-mescaline feeling.

A few years later I titrated doses from a different batch of cactus and found that 250mg bore more similarity to the 400mg trips of yesteryear, and when I tried 400mg it completely floored me and was nearly overwhelming with very loud musical/auditory hallucinations and a strong unpleasant vibration throughout my body. Taking 1500mg of this seems like it would be nightmarish.

As for visuals, I've always felt like mescaline has a lot in common with LSD in the visual arena, which is to say there is barely any effect there. Some noise, some changes for example in the perceived size of the visual field, and the occasional change in the perceived shape of the visual field (sometimes with either drug I feel like I am looking through a television set, that the corners are distinct corners, not rounded off like normal day-to-day vision). But as for visual hallucinations, even taking 1500mg had a much stronger effect on the patterns of thinking and openness of emotion rather than on perception. Mushrooms and DMT are the winners of that particular competition.

I cooked 620grams of fresh San Pedro and made a tea in a pressure cooker for 20 min @ 15psi (250). The piece was 3" in diameter and about 10" long. I was high but had no visuals, not even closed eye. I weigh 190 lbs and am guestimating that I had 200mg +or- of mescaline. I think a kilo fresh would get me where I want to go, in the 300mg ballpark. I think maybe the heat degraded the mescaline, so I will do a simple alcohol extraction on dried, ground up powder. I have X-F-B 200 proof grain alcohol that I use for Psilocybin extraction and I am waiting on my order of powdered San Pedro and Peruvian Torch from Peru (delivery takes about a month). Hopefully being grown in their native environment will yield a higher mescaline content. I fasted before my trip, drank a couple cups of ginger tea with fresh ginger to ease nausea. I had no stomach issues but I do have a strong constitution. A lot of people complain about how awful the tea tastes, what a bunch of whiners. I put the juice of a lemon in with the cactus, and although not tasty, it was not that bad, but then I am a salty/savory taster and love to eat and drink fermented stuff. I guess these tv babies today need everything to be easy, soft brats can't handle a little adversity. Buck up and stop complaining.

Last edited:
San Pedro is usually not very potent. Your trip sounds about right for how much you took. You should try Bridgesii. It's several times as potent. It seems to be pretty unpopular compared to San Pedro, but I honestly didn't notice any difference other than potency. I think Peruvian torch is supposed to be more potent than San Pedro also but I don't have any experience with it.

I have two 4" tops and three 14" T. Pachanoi cuttings that I put rooting gel on and am about to plant as well as three 12" T. Peruvianus cuttings. I also have an 18" Bridgesii that is potted and 5 small guys that were grown from seed. I am going to compare/contrast potency and effects between the sub-species. I will also compare mine to the powered cacti that is coming from the motherland, pachamama, Peru.

This is one of my new found favorite substances. A loving and gentle teacher, a warm positive push. Flowing Geometric visuals that blend into all of the surrounding imagery. Immersive patterns that are mesmerizing.

With a sense of euphoria reminiscent of MDMA but in a natural sense, less forceful. Surely one of the top teir psychedelics and positively worth exploring. This will more than likely be a lifelong companion.

Accurate description indeed. :) I think of mescaline as a far gentler, more natural, more powerful and psychedelic MDMA. The sense of true peace and benevolent love it instills is quite precious. It's been a long time, I need to revisit this soon.

I have been growing a San Pedro cactus for over three years now. I'm thinking of growing some cuttings and boil and drink the rest of it. I also have some cactus chips from a previous cactus I had a few years ago, but I had planned to do an A/B extraction and try to get pure alkaloid content. Only I've been too lazy about that.

Yum, can't wait to eat them cactus. I should get around it whenever the occasion presents itself.

I had 2 san pedros, a bridgesii, and a peruvian torch, for years. I am in the forest so they weren't growing the fastest or thickest but they were happy and I loved them. Then one April day I was excited to put them outside again for the spring, and did, but a few nights later it got down to 28 degrees and I didn't realize, and they froze. I brought them in in the morning, thought they were good but they were actually frozen and when they thawed they turned into puddles of slime. :( It upset me greatly, I felt so bad. Haven't had them since.

My goodness what a terrible loss.

The next time i make an extraction i will be using 200 grams of San Pedro chips. Take my time on low heat, i have a stock pot for the first part with the chips.

Then use one slightly smaller for when i filter it to reduce the slime down once again on low heat. Its pretty much impossible to know exactly how much Mescaline you consume this way. But it is totally mind blowing and life changing. You can compare the Mescaline content from dried samples to get an estimate, but every cactus varies.

*edited a paragraph

Last edited:
I'll probably try to source some cactus chips. I dunno, either way it's not cheap, but quite worth it. :)

I have some peruvian torch and san pedro that I started from seed. This talk made me realize they've passed their 10th birthday now! And I still haven't tested any of them out... Sadly I lost track of which ones are peruvian torch and which ones are san pedro. I had a tiny peyote for a while, but it perished many years ago :( I'd love to start some of those again, they are so beautiful.

It's hard to schedule in time for psychedelics in a busy adult life, especially something long lasting like mescaline, but I really look forward to this.

Ouch, I remember about your frozen cacti, you posted in the social thread.

I look forward to tripping on San Pedro cactus in San Pedro desert :D : D

It will be a while, as perpetualdawn said, life gets busier with time ...

It does indeed. Mescaline is something I can make time for because it works well into my day if I'm going to be spending all day hiking or camping, which I do with some regularity on the weekends. It's getting tough for DOXs though. I have so many trials I want to do with them too, it's gonna take forever. Which is actually probably a good thing. :)