View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy HPPD Thread

bickoma

Bluelighter
I would like to see how many people that use psychedelic drugs have HPPD, or Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder. More information can be found here.

If you believe you do have HPPD, please answer:

1) How many times have you tripped?
2) Did you experience HPPD after a bad trip?
3) On which substances did HPPD become apparent?

[hey, it's so cool i started a big & dandy thread. i've left the mark i've always wanted to leave!! lol. -9/11/11]

Last edited:
I developed one persistant visual artifact from the 1st trip I had and it has been with me since. It is in my peripheral vision.

The greatest incidence occurs when I'm being overtaken by a vehicle passing me when I'm driving. I get a strobing effect where the overtaking vehicle looks like it lurches forward in repeating steps. It goes away if I look directly over at it.

Anyone have a similar effect?

I have, for a long time after my former diethyl ether addiction, a visual artifact when closing eyes, of slight circles, geometric patterns (many squares, within squares, with detatched corners) of a non-describeable color, if you understand how that can be possible.

My "visual" background when I close my eyes in the dark, undergoes color changes, of a neon-dark-green, again, difficult to describe, intermixed with pink and a royal purple color, these shift and merge.

If there were a cure for it, I would refuse it, the "HPPD", although in my particular case, I do not look upon it as a disorder, actually helps me, as I have terrible insomnia, have since childhood, closing my eyes while breathing rythmically in and out provides a drug-free visually hallucinatory relaxing meditative setting, and allows me to help drift off when my insomnia isn't so severe as to require massive amounts of benzos.

I see on occasion still these really bright tiny dots floating in the air ..of course they aren't there ..but kinda neat sometimes ..not sure why seeing dots is but it is ..haven't tripped in like 5 years though ..maybe it was the E ..haven't done that in 2 years ..either way was from one of the two ..

That's very interested to see that visuals help you... but I think an official "HPPD" means it is hard to live with it... however, I am not 100% certain.

I wouldn't mind everlasting tripping. ;)

HPPD just means you're getting further in the Quest.
:p

Seriously though I guess I have some form of HPPD. But I've had hundreds of drug/psychedelic experiences all up. It goes away when I don't do drugs as much.

I have done DXM alot to the point where I'm doing third-plateau every weekend, and I do get some CEV's here and there, but I don't know if thats just me. :D

I've used the 2C series (B,E,T7), Dissociatives (N2O, DXM, K), and LSD all of which are said to trigger HPPD the most and I have no HPPD symptoms other then the occassional "static/50hz monitor" effect which is hardly noticeable.

Sometimes when I think back to my LSD experience I get some extra laughs which sort of come out of nowhere but it's not really uncontrollable but other then that I have no problems with everyday life infact life is far more improved. I think the key to avoiding HPPD is to not smoke cannabis regularly, space out your trips, and not to think about HPPD. So many people over-diagnose themselves and find symptoms that are HPPD-like.

I've done DXM, shrooms, LSD, 2C-I/E, and salvia. Some more than others. I also smoked pot heavily for about 6 years. I haven't tripped in awhile, and it seems to be getting a little better. When I look at a light colored wall it sometimes shimmers with a non-describable color, I explain it like all colors but none..but that never makes sense to people. I get very small colorful yin-yang looking swirls that swirl into themselves across my eyes. My peripheral vision has colored hues if I look directly into a light. I also get CEVs like Limpet Chicken described. Other miscellaneous things happen, but these things don't occur with a regular frequency

To answer the questions, I have tripped a lot (100+), it didn't come after a bad trip, and I feel that the 2C-I/E (mainly E) brought out these effects the most.

It never messes with my life or functionality, and I actually enjoy it though I think I sometimes get an odd expression on my face.

Edit: I've done Ayahuasca a few times also, but it had no noticeable affect on any HPPD like symptoms.

Once I was talking to a friend and out of the blue everything in the room including my friend's face tinted purple. I thought that was cool. It lasted only 5 minutes.

purple haze

not on the subject but I have seen purple haze as well blab. I was driving home coming down from rolling and everything in the sky was purple all the air around me was too. At first I thought I was hallucinating but then upon looking around I saw something different. All of the lakes in the area were turning over (for those of you not familiar lakes build up gases under the water for years and then every 5 years they turn over releasing all of the gas held underneath the surface into the air). It turned the entire sky purple for nearly 50 miles at some points there was so much in the air I couldnt even see 5 ft in front of the vehicle. It intensified the sun so much that you couldnt even look in the same direction of it.

thats real purple haze. One of the most amazing and awe inspiring sights I have ever seen.

Anyways back to subject: I notice I have minor persistant distortions in my vision field mainly related to my 2C-I use. slight morphings occaissional blurriness of vision and most often peripheral distortions. Never had these until consistent use of 2C-I. I have to admit I enjoy them more than anything. It colors my life in the most beautiful way and makes me appreciate more how amazing this world is.

Limpet_Chicken said:
I have, for a long time after my former diethyl ether addiction, a visual artifact when closing eyes, of slight circles, geometric patterns (many squares, within squares, with detatched corners) of a non-describeable color, if you understand how that can be possible.

My "visual" background when I close my eyes in the dark, undergoes color changes, of a neon-dark-green, again, difficult to describe, intermixed with pink and a royal purple color, these shift and merge.

I've had similar things since I can remember - long before taking any psychedelic drug. My colours are usually reds, oranges and yellow though. I thought it was normal... :)

I have discovered that I'am diagnosed with HPPD.. I think quite possibly in a severe way.. and I fucking hate it.

1) tripped roughly 25-35 times. thats not counting ecstacy.

2) I took a bad trip off of mushrooms on haloween. Seems like since then is when I actually noticed HPPD. I think the bad trip triggered it. But i did notice visual differences befoer the bad trip.. it just got worse since the bad trip.

3) Weed.. (I dont smoke pot anymore since i've become diagnose)

God damn I hate this shit. It is soooooooooooo disturbing. It has caused me immense torture and anxiety with myself. Iam seriously on the edge big time and regret most of my use with chemicals. I hope i come out of this... and I hope it doesnt take years like it is researched to be. People think ooh well if you got HPPD thats awesome you can trip all the time for free not having to take acid.. no.. its not cool..... it can seriously drive someone to kill themself (I wont kill myself dont worry). Treatment is to take medications and I dont want to. No. I refuse to do that. Im just going to ride this out. I've come up with 5 stages I believe that a HPPD sufferer will go through.. Iam currently on stage 3.

Stage 1 - Realization (Once realized.. the person may become in a somewhat "uh oh" kind of attitude. They will realize what has happened to them and start getting depressed maybe.. bummer)

Stage 2 - Acceptance ( Just like stage 1.. this is very hard to get through.. You have to accept the fact that this has happened to you and you can no longer deny it.. if you deny it it will only torture you. You have to get over this stage.. it is absolutely necessary that you do.. or prepare to lose it.)

Stage 3 - Getting used to it (Iam on this stage now.. It's hard to get used to this somewhat rapid change of perception and views on things.. and also change of life as well. But this stage once reached.. is the first step into redeeming youself .. if possible.. i hope it possible for me :( )

Stage 4 - Symptoms waring off. (Eventually HPPD sufferers will get over it and come back to their normal perceptions with just a bit of brain damage. This stage is where you'll notice the HPPD occuring less frequently and the last step before reality)

and finally..

stage 5 - Reality (ahhh how i miss you.. hope to see you soon)

Shimmer.Fade said:
. I get very small colorful yin-yang looking swirls that swirl into themselves across my eyes. .

Holy fuck I know EXACTLY what your talking about..

those little things are fucking wierd man.. like what are they? what is the scientific/biological explination for seeing them? they don't make any sense... Seeing trails and colors change from HPPD is one thing..but those things you described there are fucking wierd.... heh.. i just seen one now as i type this.. perhaps thinking about them/talking about them trigger them?

bickoma said:
I would like to see how many people that use psychedelic drugs have HPPD, or Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder. More information can be found .

If you believe you do have HPPD, please answer:

1) How many times have you tripped?
2) Did you experienced HPPD after a bad trip?
3) On which substances did HPPD become apparent?

1) ~50 times - traditional psychedelics (LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline)
2) Yes
3) LSD, Psilocybin.

7zark7 said:
I've had similar things since I can remember - long before taking any psychedelic drug. My colours are usually reds, oranges and yellow though. I thought it was normal... :)

It is. Many things listed in this thread are completely normal. For example:
I see on occasion still these really bright tiny dots floating in the air

Those tiny dots are called floaters.

..And they could be a sign of retina damagae. If you have lots of them get your eyes checked asd stop fucking staring into either the sun, strobe lights, lasers or head lights. ;-) Floaters have nothing to do with psychedelic use (unless the sun hypnotyizes you to stare at it on a high dose or something), except for the fact you will notice them a lot more now.

Static is always there, you've just ingored it all your life. The patterns.. etc.. you have just tuned into them like a sixth sense now. What do they mean? Who knows.. HPPD would be more serious than this. I would say I took a 6+ month break in my life where I couldn't function very well at all in a psychotic HPPD like or schizophrenia-like state.

I don't remember one day of that time where I didn't see 2C-I type visuals constantly all day, and sounds warping. Complete paranoid delusions that were just the truth, it was like I was being controlled by someone else. The visuals though were amazing, and the constant change of mindstates, from say just going from a shop into the street. It would be like Acid type visuals and feeling, then on the street, it would go into a 2C-I trip. Everything about the trip was there except the intesified real physical feeloings of the drug. It sounds fun but I was scared I'd gotten brain damage from using 2C-i every night for a month.

I forgot to add how frequent usage of psychedelics has been.

Yopo snuff-around 200 times.

Psilocybin mushrooms-fuck only knows, roughly 30 times, maybe 50.

Diethyl ether-gone through about 10 liters in a year.

Ayahuasca-once, low dose, using Psychotria Viridis and harmaline freebase.

MDMA-once this year.

Vertine-single bioassay.

Various other bits and pieces, including Virola snuff, smoked and insufflated bufotenine freebase, a few other less-complex tryptamines, and I am a very heavy smoker of the good green herbage, along with a few experimental thingues, and some tetrahydropalmatine.

I don't know if its strictly relevant, but a mixture of one of the new generation hypnotics, in particular, a mixture of imovane and sonata, mixed with a large ass dose of both dihydrocodeine and morphine sulfate, along with lots of weed produced quite the trip in me.

I believe I first started getting the "HPPD" effects, although I do not PERSONALLY consider my own symptoms a disorder, rather, I look on it as a nice free permatrip while I let myself daydream, enhanced by a little ether, or a few tokes from my good old pipe, and I am good to go for a nice few hours.

I believe mushrooms at age 8-9 perhaps started the beginning of that evil slipperly slope towards lotts of those nasty illegal drug-thingies=D

capEr said:
God damn I hate this shit. It is soooooooooooo disturbing. It has caused me immense torture and anxiety with myself. Iam seriously on the edge big time and regret most of my use with chemicals. I hope i come out of this... and I hope it doesnt take years like it is researched to be. People think ooh well if you got HPPD thats awesome you can trip all the time for free not having to take acid.. no.. its not cool..... it can seriously drive someone to kill themself (I wont kill myself dont worry). Treatment is to take medications and I dont want to. No. I refuse to do that. Im just going to ride this out. I've come up with 5 stages I believe that a HPPD sufferer will go through.. Iam currently on stage 3.

I really feel for you i know that bitter anxiety you are experiencing... For me it took 7 months to get over the anxiety (and i quit smoking weed for 6 months.....highly unusual for me ;) ) and 'get used to it' but now 2 years later i am incredibly grateful for having been through it... It is a learning experience, a period of mental readjustment and healing and it's teaching you about the true nature of the physical world. You are obviously in control of things as you say 'dont worry i wont kill myself' so that means there's no danger it just takes time but you will return safely ;)

Limpet_Chicken said:
I forgot to add how frequent usage of psychedelics has been.

Yopo snuff-around 200 times.

Psilocybin mushrooms-fuck only knows, roughly 30 times, maybe 50.

Diethyl ether-gone through about 10 liters in a year.

Ayahuasca-once, low dose, using Psychotria Viridis and harmaline freebase.

MDMA-once this year.

Vertine-single bioassay.

Various other bits and pieces, including Virola snuff, smoked and insufflated bufotenine freebase, a few other less-complex tryptamines, and I am a very heavy smoker of the good green herbage, along with a few experimental thingues, and some tetrahydropalmatine.

I don't know if its strictly relevant, but a mixture of one of the new generation hypnotics, in particular, a mixture of imovane and sonata, mixed with a large ass dose of both dihydrocodeine and morphine sulfate, along with lots of weed produced quite the trip in me.

I believe I first started getting the "HPPD" effects, although I do not PERSONALLY consider my own symptoms a disorder, rather, I look on it as a nice free permatrip while I let myself daydream, enhanced by a little ether, or a few tokes from my good old pipe, and I am good to go for a nice few hours.

I believe mushrooms at age 8-9 perhaps started the beginning of that evil slipperly slope towards lotts of those nasty illegal drug-thingies=D

Mushrooms at age 8? I can see why you are so messed up. ;)