• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines The Big & Dandy DOM Thread

stupid Q can i counteract the tolerance effect if i like take it weekley or every 2 weeks or so?

If you take it with any regularity you will probably slowly (or quickly) build up tolerance. Tolerance to DOXs seems to last longer than with most other psychedelics. But primarily in my opinion you need to worry about mental tolerance. If you trip every week, after a while it'll start to become routine.

So I ran into an undisclosed amount of 99.8% pure DOM. I am a fairly experienced psychedelics user with about 35 trips under my belt. This will be my first experience with a psychedelic amphetamine and was looking for suggestions to two of my questions:

1. I used to be a habitual Adderall user, although I have not tweaked in 9 months, is it possible that DOM could provoke extremely negative physical reactions, or have a tolerance, considering amphetamine tolerance lasts indefinetly.

2. What would a good starting dose be?

i just unapproved several borderline posts. watch it with the sourcing discussion, guys. just because you aren't naming names doesn't mean it's necessary to bring that talk around here, k? :\

I plan to be working with DOM sometime in the next month, it is a positively fascinating substance both historically and chemically. i have only taken DOC once at 2mg but it was a minor underdose (im guessing 2.5-3 will be the sweet spot) im tempted to take 5mg DOM to begin but perhaps 4mg would be wiser:|

I also stumbled upon a book in a used book store that had about a page of interesting info on DOM (what the original pills looked like etc.) ill transcribe it and post it here if anyones interested!:D

Definitely interested!

I will also be trying DOM at least 2 more times in the future... possibly rather soon, but I'm not sure yet.

Dom Information

This book really has a treasure trove of unexpected info, transcribed for you reading pleasure:)

Drugs from A to Z: A Dictionary
By Richard R. Lingeman (1969)

STP [DOM (4-methyl-2,5-dimethoxy-a-methylphenethylamine), Dow Chemical Company; probably from the brand name of a motor oil additive, “scientifically treated petroleum,” which promises added power] a synthetic hallucinogenic drug chemically related to Amphetamine and Mescaline, STP achieved notoriety in the summer of 1967, when hospitals began receiving cases marked by psychotic reactions to the drug. Ten such cases were admitted in eleven days in San Francisco; one chronic psychosis and a possible death were also reported. It was believed that several thousand capsules containing the drug had been distributed free at San Francisco be-in in April or May. The capsules were described by police as white with blue spots (later a New York biweekly described them as orange).

Use of the initials was variously attributed to members of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang (the motor-oil additive) and to Timothy Leary (“serenity, tranquility, and peace”). At any rate, the drug was undoubtedly real, and its effects were said to be both more dramatic and longer lasting than those of LSD, three to four days as opposed to eight to twelve hours, although it was less potent on a weight for weight basis.

The tranquilizing drug Chlorpromazine, frequently administered to calm an LSD taker who has had a panic psychotic reaction, was found to intensify and worsen adverse reactions to STP, leading some doctors to believe that STP like Chlorpromazine, resembled Atropine and hence one potentiated the other. Another report called the drug BZ, a top secret “nerve-gas” being experimented on by the army. When at last the Food and Drug Administration Bureau of Drug Abuse Control obtained samples and analyzed them, they announced it was a mescaline derivative (and hence subject to the Drug Abuse Control Amendment of 1965)

A BDAC chemist then noticed the similarity of the drug’s formula to that of an experimental drug, DOM, upon which Dow Chemical had applied for a patent. A check with the company revealed that the formulas were in fact identical. Whether STP represented the theft of Dow’s formula, a leak of supplies of the actual drug (it had been sent to some scientific investigators and was being proposed for use in mental illness), or the independent discovery of some underground chemist, could not be determined. Although some experienced users of Hallucinogens praise it, others say that it carries more risk of a psychotic reaction than any other drugs; one writer said the odds were sixty forty against a good trip.

Another writer, close to the drug underground reported that the “manufacturer” was distributing the drug free of charge. All veterans concur on the overwhelming power of STP. They speak of a maelstrom of relentless energy. “A feeling.” Said [Richard] Alpert “that its going to do it to you whether you like it or not.” The energy seems to manifest itself physically. “You feel like your body is a conductor for tens of thousands of volts,” said a user. “I was desperate for a ground.” People tripping on STP physically tremble with the energy sensation. It is a stretching, quivering, shaking experience. Many have emerged from STP with a sudden concern for physical health. “We have the need to be strong,” said one. “We need protein. The macrobiotic diet is bad news.”

The relentless rush of energy is often a frightening experience. “Acid is like being let out of a cage,” explained one user. “STP is like being shot out of a gun. There’s no slowing down or backing up. You feel like your breaks have given out.”…

A key to survival in the STP experience seems to be an ability to surrender to the energy flow of the drug. Resisting the rush or holding it back can lead, many reports, to an incredibly frustrating up-tight experience.

STP seems to lack the disorientation of acid. Although the audio and visual hallucination are vivid. A girl explained, “Everything looks like it does when your straight. Its like being on the other side of a glass wall.” There also seems to be less identity confusion than under LSD. “You know who you are,” she said. Many have found that they could easily function—make telephone calls, find cabs,--shortly after the peak of the STP experience. These things can be difficult to do after an intense LSD experience.

Another recurring report about STP is a sensation of timelessness. Alpert calls it “a totally NOW orientation.” Past and future seem to dissolve in an electric present. As time was lost, Alpert recalled, “I felt that I had lost something human. I felt that I had lost my humanity.” But the most enticing, and clearly the most disturbing aspect of STP is that, unlike LSD, it seems to have a cumulative effect. It is a long trip to begin with. The direct effects last about 14 hours, and a stoned aftermath may continue until sleep.

The next morning, many STP initiates have discovered that they still felt high, or at least “different.” It is a mild feeling, but a persistent one. Generally rated a “good” feeling it seems to last indefinitely…

Some people claim to have discovered intense telepathic powers in STP. Another curious aspect of STP, a user explained, is that at the peak of the experience you tend to think that everyone has taken the drug. He described his experience:

“I got out of the cab on St. Mark’s Place. It was three in the morning and the street was full of people, standing around. The sky was glowing, like it was flaming. I thought it was the second coming or something. I was absolutely convinced that it had just happened or would happen in seconds. And I thought everyone else knew it. How do you react when you’re convinced? I was completely stoned.”
-Don McNeil, The Village Voice (April 13, 1964)

A couple things to take note of:
A fatal DOM overdose MAY have occurred?
Anticholinergics make DOM intoxication more severe?
Its interesting nobody knew Shulgin was responsible for the drugs invention (although not for its distribution which seems to have been done primarily by Owsley).
And that DOM was being considered for use to treat mental illness (I suppose many psychedelics were at that point).
Does anyone have any information about Leary taking DOM? I collect psychedelic literature so i just eat this stuff up :D

Last edited:
It varies from person to person, but my crew found that 7mg DOM was approximately equivalent to 3mg DOC.

I miss that book (Drugs A_Z). That book, and "Chocolate to Morphine" are literally what got me started. Remember kids, some of us came of age before the Web was widely available (the period of time I refer to is early '90s.) I hope you kids treasure how easily information gets to you!!!

im so annoyed, i set aside this entire day to work with DOM at 5mg and barely got to a +1 either the material is inactive, degraded, or i botched the dilution (and im almost positive i did not). weird.

Tolerance an issue at all? When I had general built-up tolerance 7mg was pretty weak. DOXs produce a lot of tolerance to other DOXs, in particular.

Yeah, DOM's been tricky so far for me... I have yet to get it right. It's either too strong and overwhelms me to where I can't utilize it effectively, or it's too weak to provide a fully psychedelic experience.

no significant tolerance, its been about two weeks since i used a psych, and months and months since a DOx. my question is if i wait 48 hrs i could try again at 10mg and see if the material is to blame, hopefully the minute effect it DID have will not produce tolerance.

I also took idebenone and magnesium, for the oxidative stress and stimulation respectively

I've also had trouble "getting it to work". It does something at 5 and 7mg, however not on the level that it should. I suspect I located an expensive 2c-x (This is my personal experience, not saying we have the same material.)

Disappointing, I don't think any other chemical has had me this worked up for the initial test. I'll stay on it, my day will come:)

the 2c-x switcheroo did cross my mind, but the source seems to be providing satisfactory material for other researches, thus i am at a loss. i have a feeling 10 or 15mg will shake something off the branch and maybe the duration will clue me into what sort of fruit i am tasting. perhaps some people are insensitive and this is why the original tablets were 20mg...

5mg will be insufflated in order to get a more immediate sense of the materials potency and then small boosts will be added as necessary.