View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Amantadine and Memantine thread

fairnymph

Bluelighter
There is an alzheimer's drug called memantine that is, like ketamine, an NMDA antagonist. It can also be used to treat pain/as an anaesthetic. It has PCP-like qualities (also like ketamine). It is a very safe drug, however, and it is in fact neuroprotective and neuroregenerative -- a benefit over ketamine.
Memantine can be used to potentiate a number of drugs and prevent (or even reverse) alcohol, cocaine, opiate, and amphetamine tolerance.
Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone know anyone who has? Any information would be much appreciated.
A FOAF said "It's like k but better." Can anyone confirm or negate this?

fairnymph - I won't insult you by saying what I came up with in a Google search, since I know you're quite bright enough to do that.
But, the one interesting tid-bit that I found, that may be of interest as a starting point.
http://www.signalsmag.com/signalsmag.nsf/0/CABA763046A9542588256BC7005C6CA4
Memantine just received marketing clearance in the European Union for treating Alzheimer's disease. For what other indication is it approved?
ANSWER: Memantine, an oral NMDA receptor antagonist, has been marketed in Germany as a treatment for dementia since 1989 by Merz Pharma KgaA. Neurobiological Technologies Inc., which signed a collaboration and marketing alliance with Merz in April 1998, will receive a $1.4 million payment for the most recent approval.
So, I suppose you might be able to find it in an overseas drug store/pharmacy. Big might that though. Good luck :)

Sounds interesting.
Hmm.
BTW Ketamine DOES have neuroprotective qualities.
Don't know about neuroregenerative though.

Memantine can be used to potentiate a number of drugs and prevent (or even reverse) alcohol, cocaine, opiate, and amphetamine tolerance.
SO your sayinf that getting fucked up on memantine is fun AND healthy (somewhat) plus it helps u get better fucked up on other drugs?
This cant be real, i smell something fishy...

Interesting that a search at erowid yeilded this:
The effects of the kava extract and its constituents were compared with those produced by the typical anticonvulsant, memantine. The kava extract, methysticin and dihydromethysticin produced effects similar to those of the reference substance memantine. The kava extract (150 mg/kg, 1 h before ischemia) diminished the infarct area (P less than 0.05) in mouse brains and the infarct volume (P less than 0.05) in rat brains. Methysticin, dihydromethysticin (both 10 and 30 mg/kg, 15 min before ischemia) and memantine (20 mg/kg, 30 min before ischemia) significantly reduced the infarct area in mouse brains. All other compounds failed to produce a beneficial effect on the infarct area in mouse brains. In conclusion, the kava extract exhibited neuroprotective activity, which was probably mediated by its constituents methysticin and dihydromethysticin.

heres an interesting thing about k bumped with e.
one night in ibiza, while having the same number of pills, 3.5 over the course of 7 hours. i had 2 bumps of k within an hour of each other while my gf didnt.
the next day she woke up very mongy, tired, feeling crappy etc etc.
while i woke up feeling great, on less sleep even.
nueroprotective k by any chance?

Originally posted by fairnymph:
NO ONE has tried this stuff???
Well fairnymph....go forth and break new grounds.
Go where no bluelighter has gone before.
And report back!

Remix, I don't think the ketamine had anything to do with you not feeling bad after a night of ecstasy.
My friends and I used to use both drugs together on a regular basis. I don't recall ever feeling any less crappy the next day.
Also, while ketamine has some neuroprotective qualities, it may still have somewhat harmful effects at the same time. People who use ketamine on a regular basis sometimes complain of lowered cognitive ability or memory problems. It's very possible that ketamine may help just one area of the brain while causing slight harm to another part. Or then again, any problems related to ketamine may be entirely psychological.
And I definantly would not rely on ketamine to prevent damage from ecstasy. There is a big difference between reducing neurotoxic effects and completely preventing neurotoxic effects.

its a weird coincidence at the very least.
outta 5 nights clubbing, the best day after was the day after the k bumps night.

remix: It is possible that it was just circumstancial. Also, no matter how neuroprotective something is, I would assume one would feel like crap after a night a clubbing/partying, with or without chemicals.

Found this interesting article about memantine

http://amphetamines.com/methamphetamine/methmemantine.html

the findings indicated that the memantine-methamphetamine combination produced novel discriminative stimulus effects and that memantine produced some stimulant-like subjective effects.

Hmm wonder what would be a suitable dose for first time consumption... any ideas anyone ? they seem to come in 10mg tablets...

most interesting

heres an interesting thing about k bumped with e.
one night in ibiza, while having the same number of pills, 3.5 over the course of 7 hours. i had 2 bumps of k within an hour of each other while my gf didnt.
the next day she woke up very mongy, tired, feeling crappy etc etc.
while i woke up feeling great, on less sleep even.
nueroprotective k by any chance?

Through the years 1996-1999, my friends and I would often consume ecstasy with bumps of ketamine to grams of ketamine. Not to mention just about everyone who went to raves on the east coast of the United States as far as I'm aware of, and likely for a much longer period of time and all over the globe, not simply a section of the United States.

No my friend, ketamine is not going to protect you from any damage caused by MDMA. You and your girlfriend just had a good night and were lucky that you didn't feel crappy the next day.

Ketamine is absolutely NOT going to make you feel any less crappy if you're sensitive to ecstasy and normally feel like a wreck the next day. Infact, it will probably make you feel worse because it's just one more thing your body has to deal with.

THE WOOD said:
SO your sayinf that getting fucked up on memantine is fun AND healthy (somewhat) plus it helps u get better fucked up on other drugs?
This cant be real, i smell something fishy...

Yeah I was thinking the same. This is too perfect. Maybe it's in fact rat poison from the CIA or something.

(...I'd still give it a chance though, hehe)

you can order it from here

no sources

Last edited by a moderator:
DXM has nueroprotective and reverse tolerance propietys as well so its not like its a big deal it just has a reverse tolerance effect to other drugs.