Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Amanita Mushrooms Thread

Hypercloud

Bluelighter

Welcome to the Big & Dandy Amanita Mushrooms Thread

1gAo5Q7Tjjzb4hzzc3FY19RM9u7XTX1_thumb.jpg

an artistic depictation of an 'Amanita Muscaria' mushroom

https://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas.shtml

Now, I never heard about this, I always tried shrooms by eating them...
I found these 2 extracts: "Amanita 10x" and "Amanana 10x".

After some searches over the web, I found that they actually are extracts from the famous mushrooms, what I wanted to know is: have someone tried them? Of course they are conceived to be smoked (moreover the store put in the description "External use - Not to be ingested")...

Hoping to get some feedback
Bye

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ and to clarify, amanitas only have those, and no psilocin/psilocybin

and for even more clarity, muscimol (and ibotenic acid) are also active!

I only tried some low quantity of the hat of a flying agaric (dried on a metal plate putted on a gas stove, so probably a bunch of ibotenic acid converted to muscimol), I smoked it, and it gives something difficult to explain. But definitly something interesting, a bit like walking with your feet 10 cm above the ground maybe.

amanita muscaria (and I say MUSCARIA, not other amanita, although some others, like Pantherina too) are relatively safe, I heard it is active from 1 to 3 shrooms (3=strong, 1 is light to normal effect) , and deadly starting from 7 to 10 shrooms, start doses are suggested as being from a quarter to a half shroom cap.
In Japan they eat flying agaric as normal food!!!!
(they cook it in salt water for some minutes (around 10 minutes) and throw away the salt water)

But it is told that you best bake cake or dry them fast to convert that ibotenic acid into muscimol which is about 10 times active (and probably relative to it's psychic action also less toxic)

Also interesting is that there are 'smart pills' on the market to improve 'intellectual performance' which act by stimulating muscimol receptors in a certain way, but don't know anymore where to find that information and which smart pills (group of)

maybe I can get and try some more of that shroom that lays not far from me right now.......hehehe!

these are funny mushrooms, depending where in the world you pick them, the experience can range from mind-blowing -> hellish vomiting -> datura esque zombieness -> Nothing at all.

Im in Australia and our variety seem to produce mainly sickness/nothing/trance-like-state.

I find eating them nearly pointless as a recreational activity, however, drynig out the red skin and smoking that can be enjoyable, similar to marijauna.

However, I've tried eating imported amanita and they were much more psycadelic than those that grow here.

But yeah, I'd be interested in trying to smoke some extract, I say go for it.

I've collected a lot of amanita muscaria and i would like to make an extract because i felt very sick when i drank the tea the past year.

i find this :

Muscimol (3-Hydroxy-5-aminomethylisoxazole) [M1056]
Description: GABAA receptor agonist.
Chemical Formula: C4H6N2O2
Chemical Name: : 3-Hydroxy-5-aminomethylisoxazole
Molecular Weight: M.W. 114.1 . 4.5
Solubility: Soluble in Water, Methanol and Ethanol.
Boiling Point / Melting Point: MP: 184-185°C
Handling: Protect from Light. Store in Tightly Sealed Vial.
Storage: -20°C.

i will use the ethanol or methanol like when you make hash oil...have somebody already try to make his own extract ?
any success ?

Last edited:
It is suspected that Aminata Muscaria was used by Vikings to induce the Bererkerk effect, where they started to kill all that approached, friend or enemy and that made them unbeatable in battle.

i have already eaten two prepared shrooms and had: nothing at all.
Except, I moved myself a bit like berserk, shouting whatever i was thinking. No psychic brakes, but not drunk either. Feeling very well in fact.

Luna, a cat saw my dried amanita's and started eating them. I knew many animals ate the fly agaric, but didn't knew cats liked it that much. I had to take it away, it was like a piece of meat, then I gave the cat a little piece, she ate it immediatly. an hour after, she was very sleepy and calm. Normally she is very active whole the time.

i also know these shrooms are used as an antidote for datura poisoning.

Cooked in salt water for a few minutes, well delicious food I have to say.
Check out http://www.williamrubel.com/Mushrooms/muscaria.html where I found this traditional Nagano (Japanese) recipe.

I heard from someone who ate hals a Aminata muscaria cap, and fell asleep at first, and upon awakening, he was hallucinating mantra forms and such. it lasted two days according to his testimony.

Now I have around 5 grams dried laying, awaiting to be consumed.

5Grams should give something profound.

Hail!
Dr. Sultan Aszazin

Some links concerning cholinergics and muscimol/mucarine related substances and activities

the smart drugs related to amanita muscaria are called nootropics, and mainly they multiply the amount of mucarine-receptors.

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C10/C10Links/www.pharmcentral.com/GABA.htm

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C10/C10Links/www.pharmcentral.com/cholinergics.htm

http://www.muscimol.com/

http://www.nootropics.com

http://www.hyperreal.org/nootropics/index.html

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/nootropics.htm

This has been pointed, but I think people missed this.
1) Muscimol is a GABA agonist. It is very dangerous, and has a microscopic therapeutic index.. i.e. theres a small dosage difference between recreational and deadly

2) Muscamol does not interact with the muscarinic receptor, thats muscarine, a different compound.

3) Muscarine, which is got its name from the Muscaria, is present in only minute fractions in most Aminitas.

4) Ibotenic acid is an ionotropic glutamate receptor agonist. It IS neurotoxic, not in the puney supposid way MDMA is, but in an actaul, honest to god, if you looked at the brain you would see a patch of dead tissue kinda way. But thankfully, it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier to any large degree. (though if someone found themselves sensitive to MSG, I wouldn't eat A. Muscaria or its extracts, just to be safe).

chucky said:
these are funny mushrooms, depending where in the world you pick them, the experience can range from mind-blowing -> hellish vomiting -> datura esque zombieness -> Nothing at all.

Im in Australia and our variety seem to produce mainly sickness/nothing/trance-like-state.

I find eating them nearly pointless as a recreational activity, however, drynig out the red skin and smoking that can be enjoyable, similar to marijauna.

However, I've tried eating imported amanita and they were much more psycadelic than those that grow here.

But yeah, I'd be interested in trying to smoke some extract, I say go for it.

Totally agree, I've long been in the understanding that it depends what country they are rfom.

I too are from AUstralia. And a few times I've gone out a picked a few, I'll rat 3-5 BIG mushrooms (the cap+stem) and normally just feel real tranced out, with mild visual distortions like 'trails' and such. But nothing fancy, and can sometimes make me a bit crook (nothing like HBWR/MG seeds crook mind you)

But, I've also been quite pleased with the effects of peeling off the red skin, drying it and smoking it. Sort of like a light Mj buzz...

But yeh, apparently can be pretty crazy stuff elsewhere in the world. And the shop would advise "for external use only" I'd imagine as some kind of legal disclaimer, since, like most of this quassi legal stuff, you can't actually legally sell it with said intents and purposes.

Oh yeh, 1 mate ate about 12 of the Aus species and he looked very much like he was on datura (Im experienced there and know what to look for), so err, watch out...

Amanita pantherina..panther caps?

are these one of the poisonous amanitas? or are these ok for consumption...
anyone try these? anything dramatically diff about these than normal mushs?

Yeah, those are dramatically different from "normal" (psilocybin) shrooms. They are poisonous as well, according to erowid. Beware the panther.

Me and two mates tried them once when we were young, aeons ago they did not kill us but they did nothing else either.So i suppose we were lucky in one respect and unlucky in another. Personally i wouldn't be trying them now though.
Zophen

panther cap (amanita pantherina)are a bit more toxic than fly agaric mushrooms (amanita muscaria) because panther caps contain more muscarine (poisonous substance) than fly agaric (not much, meaning trace amounts, but enough to make your trip more uncomfortable, more hard on the body)...anyway these can be used, but just like fly agaric shrooms, it must be COMPLETELY dry before ingestion...
Why ? Because fly agaric and panther caps main active principles are ibotenic acid (mildly toxic and mildly psychoactive), muscazone (slightly psychoactive), and muscimol which is the most interesting stuff in it as it is "non" toxic and quite psychoactive (psychedelic)...when I say muscimol is non toxic I mean it's not more toxic than speed, but for sure speed is toxic. So the idea would be to ingest only muscimol without the ibotenic acid (which gives a toxic uncomfortable trip), and the good thing with completely drying the shrooms is that ibotenic acid (the one you don't want) turns into muscimol (the one you want!) during the drying process.

SO: never eat the fresh shrooms ! Always dry them completely before eating...I heard that boiling the fresh shrooms in water for a few hours would be an other efficient way to convert ibotenic acid into muscimol, if so this would be easier than drying them (these shrooms contain so much water than drying them can be uneasy), but better just dry them as I'm sure this method does work.

Note that the trip has nothing to do with psilocybian mushrooms (psilocybes...) as fly agaric and panther caps do not contain any psilocybin (the main active principle once the shrooms are dried is muscimol)

Also important: never use shrooms you collected near a highway or polluted areas as shrooms abasorb pollution just like sponges which could make you very very sick AND be careful not to pick the wrong shroom (some other species of amanita are deadly, luckly fly agaric and panther cap are easy to recognize: red with white points/brown with white point). If you're not 100% sure of what shroom you found just don't take it (better get a shroom hunting guide to be sure identifying it correctly).

Dosages (from erowid.org):
Dosage is for completely dried cap material only:
Oral Amanita muscaria Dosages
Light 1 - 5 g (1 medium cap)
Common 5 - 10 g (1 - 3 medium caps)
Strong 10 - 30 g (2 - 6 medium caps)

Personally I would start with 10-20g of dried amanita muscaria shroom cap at most...let's say I think there wouldn't be big risks with 15g, but if the dose is to high for you then the trip might be quite uncomfortable, if so you might be in some delirium so better have a sitter with you.

I guess amanita pantherina dosages would be similar, just a bit smaller as panther caps are said to be more toxic (these may induce convulsion while muscaria cannot).

Effects (from erowid.org):

Onset : 30 - 120 minutes
Peak : 1 - 2 hours
Duration : 5 - 10 hours (higher doses seem to last longer)
Normal After Effects : 1 - 5 hours

POSITIVE
-euphoria: feelings of peace and well being
-marked analgesia (pain relief)
-physical relaxation / dream state: (during the sedative effects) can be highly detailed, colorful, and have a great sense of clarity and lucidity. Some people describe these as being similar to Lucid Dreaming. Some describe them as Out of Body Experiences (OOBEs). As with normal dreams, the Amanita Dream State can consist of a wide variety of experiences.
-internal dialogue: some people report a strong sense of an internal discussion, a feeling of being able to think through personal issues. Others report a significant reduction of internal dialogue, sense of peacefulness, and internal quiet.
-synesthesia: is somewhat common, smelling words, tasting colors, etc.
-clarity: Often no interference with memory or logic: many report strong "clarity of thought" and "stillness of mind". Others report mild to strong confusion.
-internal focus: Difficulty in focusing concentration on external tasks. Increased focus on internal imagination, imagery, day dreams.
-sociability: Group interaction can become incoherent: "conversational weirdness", frequent changes in topic, "non-linear conversations"
-sexual feelings: Some people report increased sexual feelings, others report very unsexual emotional and sensual distance / coldness.

NEUTRAL
-sedative or sleepy effects. others report excitation and extreme energy bursts.
-changes in body perception: effects may include dramatic shifts in body perception and motor skills including perceived changes in size of body parts, increased strength, dizziness, clumsiness, change in proprioception.
-slightly blurred vision, watery eyes, runny nose.
-loss of Equilibrium
-pupil dilation, glassy eyed stare

NEGATIVE
-Mild to moderate to extreme nausea or stomach discomfort/cramps, increases with dosage.
-muscle twitching and trembling (not convulsions)
-increased salivation and perspiration.

So...there seem to be much more positive effects described than negative (only 3 negative side effects which don't sound that bad to me)...and positive effects look really nice & spiritual: amanita muscaria was the sacred mushroom of siberian shamans, the magic shroom of european witches and the sacred ritual drug "soma " from india! This makes me feel that these shrooms must have some great potential, as an entheogen of course, not as a recreational drug.
BUT remember: if you don't prepare them correctly, then you'll only get pretty nasty effects (let's say only the negatives+ delirium).

I think I'm going to give them a try this summer as these are easy to find in nature (also interested in trying pure muscimol but it's damn expensive).

Last edited:
for me low dose amanita muscaria=color enhancement, smiling, slight tracers, nausea, interesting thoughts, slight imbalance

a bit like 'psychedelic alcohol'

Where do Amanita Muscaria grow in the wild?

I want to move somewhere with them around so I can pick them...LOL.

BTW, I am dead serious. :D

Lots of places, they were originally popular for getting intoxicated in Siberia, so I would think there are probably lots there. But for closer places, I drove the highway along the Oregon and Northern Californian Coast, and saw tons on the side of the road, and I used to see them growing in the woods when hiking in Western Washington.

If my mushroom books weren't in storage I'd look it up and tell you where else they can be found, I'm sure a google search or a trip to your local large bookstore or library would turn up the info you are looking for though.

Oh, and don't forget, the Siberians used to drink their own urine because apparently the intoxicating ingredient is unprocessed by the human body, so you can keep getting "drunk" on it. I'm totally serious.

Careful though, some of the Amanitas are deadly poisonous too.

Last edited:
They grow all over. They grow all over the place in Ontario. I've found them in public parks and conservation areas shining with their gorgeous golden glow..

Yeah. I know some are poisonous. I know what the species of Amanita's are. I just never picked them from the wild before. I have only ordered them from online vendors...Could anyone be more specific though? Like what is the habbitat where they grow in? You know like what kind of conditions do they grow in? I heard they grow by trees, but what kind? What time of the year do they grow the most? Etc, etc...

Silver birch trees - they are generally found growing under or nearby said trees. In the N of England, there are lots of reclaimed spoil heaps (from coal mining days) that have been landscaped and have silver birch planted on them to hold them together. Come September, there are shit-loads of A. muscaria growing all over the place (I'll be up there this Sept with my camera to take photo's - it looks like the fairy/elf/gnome equivalent of London or New York!)

Yeah I've found them in Ontario late August and September, usually by damp or shadowy bottoms of trees. Saw one once sitting right in the middle of a tree split in half by lightening. Seemed like a little Buddha in a mandala.