• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy 4-HO-MPT Thread

I'll just quickly point out that nearly ten years ago, our Xorkoth posted this in a tryptamine comparison thread:

^^ In my experience, when you've tried a lot of psychedelics and gotten a number of trials under your belt with each, the differences become pretty obvious. Sure, they're all really similar and perhaps even go to the exact same place (I would suspect this is true with tryptamines), sometimes the road to get there is the most important part, and the road to the destination with each substance has its own unique landmarks.

I find that funny because the road I'd take with DPT would be up my butt. I'll spare y'all the unique landmarks.

Damn I've been here a long time.

I feel like the old part of old greg...

Not the mangina part. And I'm not so into Bailey's, especially from a shoe. I also don't enjoy going to clubs where people wee on each other, although to be fair I've never tried it.

I got around to trying 4-HO-MPT today. I took 25mg of the fumarate salt. It wasn't as strong as I hoped it would be. No ego dissolution, not much music enhancement, no profound thoughts. The short duration was a little disappointing. The headspace was intriguing though. Mentally I felt almost sober, yet the trip had a dreamlike quality. I still felt like myself, but reality didn't quite feel real. The trip had a fairy-tale/fantasy vibe. The visuals were decent but short-lived.

It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't anything special. I think there is potential for it to get really interesting with a higher dose.

I didn't find any aspect of the trip to be particularly LSD-like. It just felt like its own unique thing.

Whoa, slow down, I thought this was one of the best! My big two weeks are almost here! I'll have to re-read and diagram all quarter million posts in this forum.

I got around to trying 4-HO-MPT today. I took 25mg of the fumarate salt. It wasn't as strong as I hoped it would be. No ego dissolution, not much music enhancement, no profound thoughts. The short duration was a little disappointing. The headspace was intriguing though. Mentally I felt almost sober, yet the trip had a dreamlike quality. I still felt like myself, but reality didn't quite feel real. The trip had a fairy-tale/fantasy vibe. The visuals were decent but short-lived.

It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't anything special. I think there is potential for it to get really interesting with a higher dose.

I didn't find any aspect of the trip to be particularly LSD-like. It just felt like its own unique thing.

Nice, you're the second person I know now to try it in the last couple days, at about the same dose. I'm pretty happy to see this one making the rounds, thanks for the input. :)

I can relate to a lot of what you said. My first 25 mg experience was definitely strong in the ego loss kind of way and had my thoughts flying a bit out of control, but aside from that it felt pretty sober and not too euphoric in a sensory enhancing way or anything, but did have the dreamlike quality you mention, it's consistently fairly dissociative for me, and does have that fantasy vibe you mention. It is longer-lasting for me though, I'm surprised that so many people seem to get a short duration; it definitely lasts around four to seven hours for me depending on the dosage so far.

I found the 25 mg dose interesting, but it was the 50 mg that really did it for me; also, the latter was the one that truly felt LSD-like for me, whereas the former felt more similar to 4-HO-MET and 4-HO-DET. The next time I took, at 20 mg which I didn't write a report about, it retained the LSD-like qualities a lot more than the initial lower dose had ever had, but interestingly also felt a bit more psilocin like than either previous trip ever had. It's been a very dynamic drug for me so far....

Not that any of these things necessarily need apply to you of course, just some food for thought. I'll definitely be eager to hear more of your thoughts if/when you go deeper either way. :)

Whoa, slow down, I thought this was one of the best! My big two weeks are almost here! I'll have to re-read and diagram all quarter million posts in this forum.

There are no certain bests I'm afraid, you're not going to be able to track down the ultimate molecule just by seeing what people have to say about their own experience; each and every molecule will produce unique experiences for each and every person, and the only way to know how something will effect you is to try it yourself. :) What I love and find deeply satisfying, others will find almost useless, and vice versa. I really wanted to love 4-HO-MiPT before trying it because I had multiple friends who claimed it to be one of their favorite psychedelics and produce highly impressive hallucinations, but I've really never been able to get anything too great out of it yet even when it was objectively extremely intense, like 50 mg where the visuals were almost blinding and headspace very deep, but nonetheless it just felt boring and simplistic overall. And yet, MiPT and 5-MeO-MiPT, which many people often claim to not be very psychedelic and some dislike for that reason, are both extremely hallucinogenic for me and some of the best psychedelics I've ever taken for my own chemistry, and definitely far more visual than 4-HO-MiPT.

Drugs are weird like that.... You pretty much just have to be willing to do some trial and error if you really want to find your personal bests. :)

Drugs are weird like that.... You pretty much just have to be willing to do some trial and error if you really want to find your personal bests.

Oh the will has always been there, and opportunity always groped at, clumsily usually; the means don't . . . work mixed metaphors well.

(I figured by delaying as long as possible to avoid awkward delivery-timing, it'd be out of stock anyway.)

Yep, I took 26 mg on Saturday, and your analysis is more or less the same as mine, except I had some additional qualms... As I detailed in the trip report I posted, I'd love to try it at 50+ mg, but I'm a little worried about the physical issues that might come up with high dosages, because it had a strange and unpleasant anaesthetic numbing and motor paralysis for me.

Last edited:
I also experienced numbness. I wouldn't call it uncomfortable but it is a little odd. It's certainly less desirable than the tactile enhancement most other psychedelics cause. The worst thing about it was that it made playing guitar more difficult than normal.

Last edited:
On another note, I think that 3 is a hard number to trip with. It loses the intimate connection one makes with 2 and doesn’t have the group mentality of 4 or more.
its so funny to see the differences in what people get out of their trips. 1 on 1 with the right person is certainly a deep and intimate thing that is unrivalled, especially when a high dose of dissociative headspace is involved, but one of my most connected and meaningful trips came from an LSD trio trip.

on a side note, your description of this substance makes me very interested. an extremely short mushroom headspace without the added (often cumbersome and obstructive) "meaningfulness"? sounds like something i could really use for an analytical therapy session.

thanks for your report! hard to pick between this and 4-ho-ept... might have to research both ;0)

I tried 4-HO-MPT again, upping my dose to about 40-42 mg. I wasn't too impressed by it the first time I tried it, and now I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of it. At this dose, the side effects were pretty pronounced, and like before, the peak was very short lived. It has an intense stimmy adrenaline feeling that's kind of overwhelming, especially during the come up. I did get some pretty good psychedelic effects for maybe 20 minutes. Open eye visuals were noting special but I did get some awesome closed eye visuals at one point. Overall the positives didn't outweigh the negatives.

I had high hopes for 4-HO-MPT because MPT is so good, but the base tryptamines are all quite different from their 4-HO counterparts. I do find 4-HO-MPT to be very similar to 4-AcO-DET, but more visual and a little less mushroom-like. I prefer 4-AcO-DET though. It's deeper and more satisfying, leaving me with a calm afterglow. I didn't really get much out of 4-HO-MPT either time I tried it. I still don't see any similarities between 4-HO-MPT and LSD.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for sharing your experience. I also tried 4-HO-MPT again recently, this time at only 20 mg, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than my first trial. I've been meaning to write a trip report on it, but I haven't had much time lately.

4-HO-MPT is a rather unique psychedelic, and I think it's best approached with minimal expectations. When I first tried it, I was expecting it to be a familiar, classical, LSD-like experience, but I was a bit let down. The second time I tried it, I went into it prepared for something totally different, and found it much more interesting.

I tried 4-HO-MPT again, upping my dose to about 40-42 mg. I wasn't too impressed by it the first time I tried it, and now I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of it. At this dose, the side effects were pretty pronounced, and like before, the peak was very short lived. It has an intense stimmy adrenaline feeling that's kind of overwhelming, especially during the come up. I did get some pretty good psychedelic effects for maybe 20 minutes. Open eye visuals were noting special but I did get some awesome closed eye visuals at one point. Overall the positives didn't outweigh the negatives.

I had high hopes for 4-HO-MPT because MPT is so good, but the base tryptamines are all quite different from their 4-HO counterparts. I do find 4-HO-MPT to be very similar to 4-AcO-DET, but more visual and a little less mushroom-like. I prefer 4-AcO-DET though. It's deeper and more satisfying, leaving me with a calm afterglow. I didn't really get much out of 4-HO-MPT either time I tried it. I still don't see any similarities between 4-HO-MPT and LSD.

Awesome, thanks for the update on this one. :) It's a shame that this one didn't work out for you in the end, but you can't win 'em all as they say.

I'm quite glad to not get any significant body load from 4-HO-MPT myself, though it does make me a little tense so I can understand how some might. I do also get the adrenaline feeling you describe, and it's actually one of the things that made me love this one so much; I have even gone so far as to refer to it as the cocaine of psychedelics while tripping on it with a friend, though I suppose my opinion on that might be different if I had tried more phenethylamines. There is a short peak for me as well, but I also actually like that because for me pretty much the entire head trip takes place in that short peak and then the rest of the trip is very manic and lucid for several hours, as opposed to something like 4-HO-MiPT where I'm basically sobering up entirely by the time I'm getting out of the really heavily mental phase of tripping.

The corresponding base and 4-substituted tryptamines are definitely quite different from each other, even while sharing a shocking amount of superficial similarities at the same time.... The more of them I try the less I think it's really worthwhile to try to assume much at all about one based on the other, they're all pretty much just their own psychedelics as with anything. I do agree with your comparison between 4-HO-MPT and 4-AcO-DET though, even though oddly the way I find them similar I also find to make them comparable to LSD, though 4-HO-MPT is definitely even more so. The similarities are undeniable to me, but as TheAppleCore says, 4-HO-MPT is just a unique psychedelic like any other too, and I probably oversell the importance of the similarities sometimes just because I'm quick to make those sorts of comparisons and contrasts between different molecules.... It is a lot like LSD for me, but it is a lot its own thing too, and that thing is not interchangeable with LSD or any other psychedelic.

^ Thanks for sharing your experience. I also tried 4-HO-MPT again recently, this time at only 20 mg, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than my first trial. I've been meaning to write a trip report on it, but I haven't had much time lately.

4-HO-MPT is a rather unique psychedelic, and I think it's best approached with minimal expectations. When I first tried it, I was expecting it to be a familiar, classical, LSD-like experience, but I was a bit let down. The second time I tried it, I went into it prepared for something totally different, and found it much more interesting.

Would love to read that report if and when you do get around to it. :)

I had finally got around to try this one. As my first trial, I dosed myself with only 18mg of 4-HO-MPT (after an allergy test) and was pleasantly surprised by its activity! :D

I dissolved the powder in an acidic drink for a quicker onset - it was pretty bitter and had a somewhat unpleasant taste, as most tryptamines are. It took about 15 minutes and I started getting dizzy and started getting the effects to kick in.

The dizziness continued for another 30 minutes and it could have been caused by wavy body feel - I could not connect with my body in a precise manner I usually do, so I lied down.

At first it felt very similar to 4-Aco-McPT - speedy, a bit disorienting and somewhat messy but interesting nevertheless.

The visuals came in strong and unexpected - as I was laying and looking at the curtains in my bedroom, I started seeing movements, as if there was a wind blowing in and causing the curtains to ripple. After about 5 minutes of watching them I realized there was absolutely no wind in the room and immediately they were blown in ripples again and my field of vision became somewhat unreal and hard to look at so I closed my eyes and was greeted by some expressive abstractions growing there - it was a very interesting theater of emotional melting pictures, I continued watching it for about half an hour.

The process had melted my ego slightly and I was able to see where my self-blocking mechanism was originating, all the way down to my early troubled childhood - it felt great to be able to work it out so easy! :)

After about an hour or so into the trip, I got up and felt euphoric and free, drank some juice and got into reading an interesting book. It was producing an interesting immersive effect, just like some BLers mentioned, it felt dreamy and sparkly.

In another hour I was down to baseline with a nice but very mellow afterglow. I felt pretty hungry and food tasted delicious! I went to sleep shortly after and had active dreams.

Conclusion:
I liked the short duration - being able to come down by the third hour is useful when trying to relief some work-related stress in between working days.
It reminded me of 4-Aco-DET as well, just like cj187 mentioned, but 4-HO-MPT definitely has it's own place on the shelf. No similarities to LSD is noted either, but I can see how the speediness and the initial rush may be interpreted by some as such. Overall, I liked it and looking forward to trying it in higher dosages! ;)

I am tempted to add some 4-HO-MPT during an acid trip and see if there is any synergy. 8)

Inspired by TheAppleCore, I tried a 20mg dose. He had the right idea. Sometimes less is more. It was actually a pretty strong dose. 4-HO-MPT can be really strange and dissociating. I think when I took higher doses before I must have been too delirious to realise how strongly it was affecting me.

At first it felt like I hadn't taken enough, but then I started playing guitar and got really into it. During that part of the trip I started to see why some people say that 4-HO-MPT is like LSD. Then I started to trip harder and couldn't play guitar any more.

Things got very weird and intense. It started to feel less like acid and became really similar to 4-HO-DPT. I felt really dissociated and confused and the adrenaline feeling was really strong and uncomfortable. After maybe an hour of that, I started to come down and was able to enjoy the trip again.

I'm still a little unsure of what I think about 4-HO-MPT. Parts of this trip were really great, but the peak of it was pretty unpleasant. I think I need to go even lower with my dosage. It could become one of my favorite substances. It seems to have great potential for creativity enhancement.

I just completed a 40mg trial of 4-HO-MPT. He are some initial observations on this compound.

The first alert occurred twenty minutes after ingestion. This was followed by a noisy and rapid onset which built to a fairly strong peak less than thirty minutes later. The peak was over twenty minutes after it arrived, which was disappointing, because I would have liked to explore its vertiginous and intriguing headspace in more depth. The plateau lasted about three hours, but it didn't yield insight -- introspection came easily, but answers were nowhere to be found. I attribute this failure to the notably dulled headspace which was now evident. This muddling contrasts sharply with the diamond-like clarity of LSD and other lysergamides that I have tested. Regarding libido, arousal was rather lacking, which is unusual for me while on a psychedelic, but I still came and it was pleasant enough. For the length of the experience, open- and closed-eye visuals were present, and somewhat atypical, but ultimately nothing to write home about. The glide to baseline was perhaps the best part of the trip, as it was particularly smooth and I could "see" how my mind reassembled itself into a coherent and lucid whole. Bodyload was negligible throughout. The duration of the trial was seven hours.

I still have plenty of material to work with and I'll explore it further. For the time being, I'll say that this compound is better than some, but not as good as many.

Thanks for the report, lamanogaucha! Great to see this molecule getting some more attention. Vertiginous is a great word to describe the headspace. It does indeed have a somewhat drunkening, disorienting character.

If you were disappointed by the visuals, you may want to give it another chance. After having numerous experiences with 4-HO-MPT, I now regard its wonderful visuals to be the most salient and impressive feature of the drug. While they're not quite as blatant as those of psychedelics like 4-HO-MET or DMT, I find the way it enhances my perception of the colors, forms, and motion of my environment to be particularly beautiful.

Hey, Apple, thanks for that. I'm by no means done with 4-HO-MPT. My opinion on this compound will probably change over time, possibly for the better. I'll chime in every now and then with more observations.

I recently sent some of what i thought to be 4-HO-MPT to a lab to be analyzed, and preliminary results say to my dissapointment that this was 4-HO-MiPT + some yet unidentified compound.

This came from a reputable Canadian vendor that closed up shop pretty recently, so others with this compound might want to analyze their samples.

Well, at least it's 4-HO-MiPT and not something completely different, but this could land someone in trouble if they're ordering 4-HO-MPT that is legal in their country and receive illegal 4-HO-MiPT. You can also only guess what the unidentified chem is.

.. I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell me which ones you're already familiar with to make things a bit easier?
I was going to ask you/anyone to compare/contrast with 4-ho-mipt, basically the only tryptamine I am familiar with, and my favorite/2nd favorite psychedelic overall. I’m only experienced with LSD (tied for favorite), miprocin, 2ce, 2cb, and much less so with mushrooms, 4acodmt and N,N-dmt.
But I saw your comment about not being a fan of miprocin (hard for me to imagine), so while I’m still interested in your opinion, it may not be very relevant to me.
I just found my first source in like a decade so I was getting excited about all these new-to-me tryptamines I could potentially try. On the menu is 4-HO-MET, -DET, -DPT, -MPT, -EPT; 4-AcO-DET, -MET, -MiPT; and base tryptamines DPT and EPT

Wrong thread but is 4acomipt any different from 4homipt?

4-ho-Met seems the most popular and recreational one, but I’m kinda intrigued by 4hoMPT or 4hoEPT, even though I basically just started learning about them.

I’m kinda scared to take 4acodmt again after my friend had a seizure type event on it. To be fair it was the night after a daytime lsd trip and drinking lots of whiskey. 4acodmt always gave me the shakes so I feel like I was flirting with a seizure or something since I saw it happen to him. Miprocin is pretty light hearted, easygoing, and a gently return to baseline. I’d kinda like something similar to that but different enough to be worth trying instead of just sticking with miprocin.