• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Salvia Thread (Archived start - 1-20-08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDankyBuds

Bluelighter
eyeDivider.gif

External Information Links:

Daniel J Sieberts Homepage- Discoverer of Salvinorin Compounds

eyeDivider.gif

Original post:

Ok, so I decided to try Salvia after reading many trip reports and FAQ's here and on Erowid. I ordered 1 gram of 5x extract and I was very excited when I came home today to find it sitting on my doorstep. I got myself all geared up for this deep, introspective, spiritual trip that I have been reading about and was quite nervous. I packed about 90mg into a bong and ripped it. I took it all in one hit and held it for about 25 seconds. When I exhaled, I got this sinking sensation in my head that lasted for about 10 minutes and that was it. I felt nothing after that except tired.
What's the deal? Is this stuff kind of like pot in the respect that you have to do it a few times before you really get it? Or what? Did I do something wrong? I ate a fairly good amount of acid(8 hits) 3 days ago, does this have anything to do it?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people need more than average amounts just to get off on Salvia, I do not think thats the case with you though. You simply havent broke through yet, keep trying and you'll have that deep, introspective trip you've been urgeing for. It takes patience, but once you breakthrough its unbelievable.

The LSD would have no effect on the Salvia divinorum. You are right, Salvia divinorum is like pot in the sense that you may need to try several times to get it to work. In fact, it is worse than pot in that regard. You should also try it in complete darkness with no noise. Soft music is alright through a pair of headphones. Have a trip-sitter with you, but instruct them to make no noise and not to bother you until you make contact. Any disturbances in the sally state will quickly ground you.

Agreed. Salvia is the MOST stubborn of any drug I have ever tried - unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) people become easily frustrated by this and decide that it is a bullshit drug, or that is just doesn't work on them.
MY advice is to keep at it. Burn the extract VERY hot... a good pipe works, but glassware is best. Trust me... it WILL work, but it may take a few attempts. My first attempt was a joke... less buzz than a cigarette. The second felt a bit odd, but nothing big. The third attempt blew me out of the water and scared the fuck out of me - as have all subsequent trips.
Post back when you've had sucess. My prediction is that you'll finally get the effect you desire - then instantly wish you HADN'T!
Salvia is no joke, and it is certainly not "fun"!
Goodluck.

I have found a method that works quite well for my friends who were new to salvia and myself. I think its a waste of money with the extract because i have attained the same extreme mindfucks with whole leaf. I buy a 1 oz. bag of prime oaxacan leaf and roll a nice big quid. I would have my friends do this as well. We would all chew this described in methods on erowid and such and then the next day we would all sit down and do a smoking session. I have found that if i do the chewing the day before, i will ALWAYS have a mindblowing experience the next day. This has been true not only for myself but all the the close friends i have introduced to SD.
Has anyone else tried this or anything similar?
peace

Rules for High Dose Salvia Use...

i just had a mind blowing*/earth shattering* (*understatement) salvia trip and i would like to lay down some rules which will help you from becoming a terrified puddle on the floor...

1. the most important thing...HAVE A TRIPSITTER...i don't care if you eat shrooms for breakfast and you use pure LSD crystals as sugar in yer kool aid...nothing can prepare you for the ego destroying power of Salvia Divinorum...

2.Do not even try to fight the Salvia...forget the fact that you were ever human...you are now whatever the Salvia tells to be...you are the floor...you are the wall...you are the bong...you are the lighter...you are a bristle on a broom...you are rubber on a tire...you are everything in the world...you are the world...you are whatever the Salvia tells you you are...

3. Take a benzodiazepine such as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, Klonopin, etc, etc before the trip...i took Xanax before my high dose trip and it seemed to help...felt like it killed all anxiety and turned off my natural fear response...cuz what i experienced would of probably terrified anybody to death... [edit] this is optional but from personal experience it helps ease the fear and anxiety...although fear maybe an important component to learning something from the trip...

4. Get really familiar with the substance...do not go straight to packing your bowl to the top with Salvia 10x extract the day you get it from your supplier...start off with small doses and work your way up...start with plain old dried Salvia Divinorum leaves...trip a few times off that...then move up to the 5x extract...i strongly suggest that the Salvia 5x extract be tried in 50mg increments...try 50mg first...then increase it to 100mg the next time...then 150mg...my Salvia trip was on approximately 250mg of 6x extract...and once again the words "mind blowing" and "earth shattering" are understatements...

well that's all i got to say...other than that brace yourself and hold on for dear life...

There is no reason to take a downer before you take Salvia divinorum. I mean, I understand that there is a fear component to Salvia, but that is the nature of smoking it. No reason you should have to pre-medicate yourself to meet with her. Salvia divinorum is nature made and perfect the way it is. No additional substances required. I understand if benzos are your thing, but if you are making an official "Rules to High Dose Salvia" list, you shouldn't make benzos a part of it, or a must for everyone. I personally would never mix downers with a psychedelic. Fear just tends to go with the territory sometimes, especially with things like Salvia divinorum, DPT, DMT, and a few others. Well that is my opinion and opinions are like assholes...we all have one.

good point MGS...but from my experience...i felt that if i was consumed by fear during the trip...i wouldn't of been able to focus on the message the trip was trying to tell me...although it seemed so chaotic in Salvia Land i was able to somewhat observe what was goin on (in the trip that is...i had no idea what was goin on in the real world)...then again...like you said...fear is just another part of the trip...and perhaps the lesson can be learned from the fear which is experienced...

Salvia Experiences

I would like to know what kind of experiences people have had with Salvia. Please include, what kind you smoked i.e. what breed or how powerful an extract, how much you smoked, the details of the experience, and how long it lasted. thank you.

Salvia is way overrated to start off with. Everybody says its soooo extreme and mind blowing. Well heres my story....
"I ordered 1 gram of 10x extract and it came in the mail a few days later. Well I read all the FAQ's, Erowid experiences, and anything online about salvia so I was ready. I packed my water bong full of salvia 10x. I lit it and kept it lit for a while and sucked in a huge amount. I held it for 30-40 seconds. I felt nothing but a slight feeling in my body. A small buzz. I tried it a few more times and nothing happened. Next I decided to smoke the rest of it and see if anything happens. I packed it up and this time I felt it hit me. I started to be pulled into the wall. I also felt like I was falling in water and all wet. It almost seemed like a video game. It wasnt a fun experience really. After that I only smoked it with weed. When smoking it with weed it hightens the weed effects and makes it stronger. Other than that salvia costs too damn much, isnt that much fun, and is pretty lame.

I have smoked salvia (the non extract) on 4 different occasions. The first two were the best and the second two were just a tease. All four times I used a large bong with ice in it. A torch lighter was used. Each time I would take 3-4 hits holding in each one for 20-30 seconds. I think I have a mild tolerance to the substance or atleast I'm not hyper sensitive to it. I haven't had any earth shattering effects from it. The first two times I did it I started thinking weird stuff like I heard noises eminating from the closet and for some reason I had to turn my head towards the closet to keep them going and that's what I had to do, don't ask me why I don't know. The second time my feet began to get sucked under the chouch I was sitting on and I had to make a stack of video tapes on my left matching the ones that were on my right, once again don't ask. The third and fourth time I tried salvia was about a year after the first two and both times I felt like I was on the brink of reaching salvia space but didn't quite get there. I plan on trying the 5x extract soon.

C20 H25 N3 O: said:
Salvia is way...Everybody says its soooo extreme and mind blowing.

Uhhh it is extreme and mind-blowing. It wasn't for you because you didn't get it to work. If it had worked for you, then you wouldn't have said that. I have always been amused at the fact that the people who have not yet been able to have a full blown Salvia divinorum experience conclude that it is 'lame' or whatever. Salvia divinorum is THE most intense trip there is, rivaled by only IM ketamine, DMT, and 5-MeO-DMT.
Here are is a bit about my experience with the plant. I have had success with both the regular leaf and a 5X extract.
Salvia divinorum is an incredible experience, quite beyond words. I know of no way to describe my salvia trips, but here is an attempt. In some ways, the SAME exact experience happens every time I use it. Kind of like a sequence of events in a story you keep reading. Salvia divinorum gives me the experience of watching my ego roll by, as if it were on a newspaper printing press. I will see all of the little aspects of my personality speed by me. In a sense, it shows me the ultimate truth. Everything in my life, and the universe in general, is shown to me with complete clarity.
The trouble is I usually do not realize I am tripping, and I tend to feel as though my head has been split open for the entire world to analyze. I assume that reality is not the result of salvinorin A in my blood. There are entities there, the "Salvia" people, and they are able to see everything about me, including things I would rather them not know. This can be a very uncomfortable experience.
It is a true ego-confronting trip for me, but not always an insightful one. It does not seem to tell me anything I already do not know; it offers me nothing new to take home. I still however think the experience is valuable. If anything, it is also very interesting and bazaar. Like a carnival or circus. A wild, crazy, weird, insane experience.
I can recall one silly little thing on a Salvia trip that could be defined as an insight I got to take home with me. I had a disagreement with my girlfriend. When she went to sleep, I went into the bedroom (we slept in the living room.) and proceeded to smoke some Salvia divinorum. All of the sudden I had a vision of her and I was given a message that I needed to be damn thankful for having her. I knew that already, and then I realized how silly it was to be angry with her. I did really upset her. Then (laugh at the absurdity of this if you will) the spirit of Salvia divinorum proceeded to scorn me for becoming unjustifiably upset with her.
I came out of that trip with a deepened appreciation for her feelings about the issue we were fighting over, and I truly felt bad for becoming upset. Had I not tripped that night, I do not feel I would have seen the issue from my girlfriend's point of view. That was valuable wouldn't you say?
I must also say that Salvia divinorum in combination with a proper psychedelic goes beyond just being an entheogen-induced experience, but that is for a different trip report.

wholly fuck!
smoked salvia 3 times. the first time it was 10x extract. me and a few of my friends smoked most of a gram but in very little doses at a time so no trippy effect came on, just a light buzz.
the second time i smoked it was non-extract and it didn't do anything. i also had some tea i made from it and all that did was taste funny.
the third time i was back to the 10x extract. it was from the same bag and i would say it was about 1/4 of a gram maybe a little more.i had been up all night rolling eating percoset and muscle relaxors and figured this would be a good way to chill and counter the negative effects of my hangover. oh wrong wrong wrong! i packed a bowl and rigged a bobo-bong(plastic gatoraid bottle and a pen with my pipe bowl attatched to it) filled the chamber with smoke , took a deep breath, and hit that bitch till it was clear.
i held the smoke in for exactly 2 seconds before it hit me. i turned my head and i saw the motion in frames and thought to myself "good. i'm fucked up" but then i heard a noise from the window of my bathroom and looked over to see a group of shampoo bottles. it sounded as if the noise was saying "ok, you need to get up! you need to go now!" it made absolutely perfect sense that the bottles were saying this so i responded with "ok good plan. no wait! i'm smoking. i need to be here!" and then i looked up in front of me and was facing the front of my shower(i was sitting on the edge of the tub) and the room got really long. it scared me for a second because i didn't know where i was. and worse i let the fear get to me and thats where i really fucked up. my body got really tingly to the point where it felt like claws were scratching all over my body and it was driving me crazy. every sound and even shit i thought about was horrible and i started screaming. everything felt like it was going wrong and i thought i was going to die. i wanted it to stop and it wouldn't. i decided to start the bath and sit in it, maybe that would sober me up. it didn't. i couldn't clear my thoughts enough to think of anything positive or see through the visual fucking i was receving. visually i wasn't hallucinating anything, it was all really watery like i was opening my eyes while swimming. and everything was changing shape. i ended up on my sisters bed lying face down in the pillow eyes shut trying despirately to get sober. and then all the sudden, i felt normal again. it was gone totally in 30 minutes.
the most fucked up i have ever been on acid didn't touch this by a fucking mile. it really fucking scared me alot. maybe i took too much at one time or it was the combination of that and all the shit i did the night before i dunno. but i'm leavin it alone for now.
p.p.

I just tried salvia for the first time about 20 minutes ago, what the fuck man, this stuff is mad. I smoked it through a small pipe, held in for about 30 seconds and the bang, I felt a droopyness over my eyes and a sort of split feeling in my head, from sitting down I rolled sideways into the wall and it felt like my face was part of the skirting board, I put my hand into the wall to try and support myself, and i was part of the wall, so I got up and colapsed over onto the bed and come round, but what the fuck man thats like full blown proper acid fucked in about 3 minutes and it's legal, very mad stuff indeed. The only thing I would sa about it is do not underestimate it.

Salvia is an insane mind-blowing experience. My experience with Salvia:
I first started with the leaves. My friends and I took turns smoking about five bowls of the leaves in rapid succession with no breaths inbetween. I experienced the tingly body buzz that I would later recognize as the prelude to an insane salvia trip with the 10x extract. Things seemed to repeat and the Hardcore music we had playing in the background greatly annoyed me. This would have been an S trip at best.
I tried the leaves again and I got a better trip this time. I meditated and felt a link to a greater spirit and I felt as if I was conducting control over man lives and not just this one. It made me able to step back and observe everything in a different perspective.
Third time was with the 10x salvia extract. Now that my brain had already been conditioned to Salvia Divinorum, I was ready for a full blown trip into the unknown. I inhaled a large hit of the extract smoke into my lungs and held it until I was about to pass out. The intense pricking feel started to overwhelm me and my normal sense of reality faded. I fell back onto the grass and weird patters flashed before me. They were like trails of flowing colors. I heard the voice of entities, but it was not a voice. They seemed to communicate with me telepathically and I knew the point that they wanted to get acrossed to me. They seemed to be scolding me for all the wrong doings I have done in my life. I thought for a few moments I was going to be stuck in this world forever, and I would not come back to this reality again. But slowly forms started to come back into focus. I could see my car faintly that had been parked in front of me. I was still very disorientated but I was able to control my body. I was unable to speak. It felt to hard to do at this moment. I had not remembered what had happened to me. It took me weeks to piece together what had happened to me during the trip. This was an A, or amnesia type trip, on the Salvia scale. My friend said I was standing up and that I had turned my hand like I was opening a door and then I fell down on my ass. This is weird cause I remember going through a door and then that is where the trip got intense.
I have other accounts of Salvia trips as well. They all are quite similar. I remember on one trip I was floating through this type of energy and I saw a smiling figure and he was telling me to make some kind of choice. I still don't know what he was trying to tell me cause my friend came in the room and interupted my trip.
If you haven't had success with Salvia Divinorum, try harder. There is success to be had. Take very large hits and hold them in as long as you can. Do it in a dark, silent room, and directly after you breath out the hit, relax and meditate. Lay down on a bed or something. Don't sit up thinking that it will automatically come to you like a hit of tweak or something.
Good luck, be safe, Salvia is a spiritual herb and is not in any way fun. Don't take it thinking you will be "fucked up." It is a tool that can take you deep inside your spirit.

I would write my report on my experience, but this thread is quite long and I don't think I would be able to add anything to the well written reports already posted on this page.
One quick comment on the beings, however. What is weird for me - EVERY single time that I have got salvia to "work" for me at some point in the trip a huge leaf goddess - for lack of a better term - appears. She then let's me know that I am about to be shown something. There are no words but I tend to understand what is going on. After this moment in the trip - sometimes it occurs in the beginning, sometimes in the end - the trip ramps up in intensity.
I tend to have an escapist personality, so salvia sometimes shows me things that I am just trying to get away from. It does not allow you to "use" it. I think it was good for me to see that using drugs to get away from problems in your life is not good. Sure, alcohol, weed, and mdma can all help you forget about problems for the moment, but don't try that with salvia or you will get burned.

salvia enhancement (combos, setting, etc.)

Hi. I've done salvia a couple times. I think it is really interesting with great potential, but I want to hear how others do it and how they get the most out of it. What's it like with alcohol for example?
Also, while on salvia, I've started feeling like time is a string of dominoes and I'm stuck on one domino. Fuckin' "time traveling" I like to consider it. Anybody else get this? Thanks a bunch

I have gotten the same domino effect of time traveling that you experienced also. Its pretty crazy, it felt like i moved outa my position in time and i was trying to step back into it. I just use my tobacco water pipe in a dark room with a torch lighter (two if i have friends present). Seems to be the best way for me, i usualyl do it on the end of my bed then put the water pipe down and lay back. Adding one or two candles is a great affect.

My dozen or so experiences with Salvia divinorum were very strange, interesting, bazaar, and beyond the description of any words I now know. They were also unbelievably intense and I have to admit some of those trips opened my mind to a few things. The first few trips I had showed me some interesting aspects about myself. On a few occasions I was gifted with person insight.
It was at times a true ego-confronting experience. The spirit of the plant showed me aspects about myself that I had before refused to really acknowledge or accept. In addition, before the Salvia divinorum experience I had never before traveled to or experienced other dimensions beyond this 'normal' one, nor had I ever interacted with entities.
But I do find S.D to be an entheogen with limited potential. It has lessons to teach, but I feel after a few experiences there was nothing more for me to really learn from it. It seems to be an entheogen of limited value after the first few tries. The last few experiences showed me nothing new from the initial ones.
In addition, I found the sheer intensity and occasional tendency for me to forget that I had even consumed a psychoactive substance (S.D will cause ego-loss at full dosages) to be a negative aspect. Furthermore, I experienced some amnesia at higher dosages. There were many times I felt half of what had just happened.
I don't know, something about smoking it though just doesn’t feel right to me. In addition, the Mazatec shamans of Mexico frown heavily on the smoking of this plant. They really feel that ska Maria Pastora does not liked to be smoked. They feel smoking is not the proper way to consume this entheogen. I for the most part agree with their feelings.
It has been several years since I've tried Salvia divinorum but if I ever do go back I will try the more 'authentic' method, which is to chew a quid of the fresh or rehydrated leaf. This manor of consumption is much gentler in action and lasts longer allowing for a more lucid experience. In addition, it is easier to integrate and remember the experience because it doesn’t just hit you and all take place within less than seven minutes.
As far as how I gain the most from from Salvia divinorum... I find taking Salvia Divinorum worked the best when I consume it while alone and in darkness to avoid any disturbances. Complete silence is preferred, but I have also tried some quiet non-intrusive ambient background music in a pair of headphones. It seemed even incidental background noise was heavily intrusive to the experience and made it very difficult to let go.

Salvia Divinorum-effects influenced by reading

I'm not completely sure of this, but i think most of salvia's hallucinatory effects people get are highly influenced by their personal research and expectations.

Most of the trip reports have the same themes.

It is a very bizarre drug; maybe people just dont know exactly how to document the effect and they use "metaphors" and such that are like other trip reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.