• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol The Benefits of Alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol i made the comment you quoted just to make the point that i recognize the fact that alcohol is a potentially destructive substance, with a reference to my own life.

Of course you didnt make the point that i underestimated the destructive force of alcohol...you werent even talking to me.

And you can think whatever you want re: alcohol. The fact remains that the vast majority of people who consume alcohol dont have it ruin their lives. Beer one of the most consumed beverages on earth, for example, behind only coffee and tea IIRC.

Now you have confused me. First your claim was that it is a "fact" that "the vast majority of people who consume alcohol do so responsibly." .... now it seems you have changed that "fact" to "the fact remains that the vast majority of people who consume alcohol dont have it ruin their lives." I'm confident you can see how that can cause confusion.

Also, where are you getting your sources for these "facts"?
It's important to be clear on such matters.

Do you have a source that most people use it responsibly?
Drinking booze usually leads to drinking more booze, if you're using it as a medication. Please, do try, but be careful... if you can manage to self-medicate with it while always staying below two drinks a day (not in quick succession, either; adhering to the rate at which alcohol is metabolized into it's byproduct and the rate at which that byproduct is metabolized into something the body can handle), please share info on how you did it! Most people who enjoy alcohol find it very difficult, and your findings could be useful to others. Because, again, most people can't.

What is the exact criteria for responsible alcohol use? I personally see that taking anywhere under the equivalent of 10 35% alcohol shots in a row to be responsible, because at that point, I would only start feeling the effects of alcohol. Anything above that, may also be responsible alcohol use, as long as that individual is drinking for a medical or religious reason.

What exactly counts as two drinks per day? I was imagining two 40% or 35% alcohol 50 (or 100) ml shots per day for helping depression or for getting rid of anxiety. Stronger alcohols don't really taste that great, so that's what can keep someone (or at least me) from drinking more of it. Even pills can taste better than 40%+ alcohols.

Only “easier” than RCs if you aren’t concerned with the risk of arrest…which I sort of am, even though I’d bet sooner or later I'll buy an RC…as long as you are 21 (or let’s be honest, MUCH younger than that it’s EASY to get access) the risks of obtaining alcohol are FAR less than the risks you take to obtain an RC.

IF you happen to somehow be caught with an illegal RC (though I hear it's unlikely, which makes me more hopeful I might venture to purchase one eventually) you'll do SERIOUS prison time, but you won't get more than a slap on the wrist for underage drinking.

There's nothing wrong with using unregulated research chemicals for research purposes. As long as you keep/use them on your own private property, and don't drive anywhere under the influence of those research chemicals.

Having the above information, it is quicker and less expensive to research with RC's, as opposed to buying a fake ID and buying alcohol, while being under 21. RC's give peace of mind, because a lot of those chemicals are unregulated, and as long as you follow the rule above, you should be good. While using a fake ID, you can become anxious, and constantly worry about being caught when buying alcohol. So the perceived risk of arrest is a lot higher for alcohol, if you are under 21. If you are over 21, then of course using alcohol becomes easier. However, this will leave a strong drug tradition in individuals after turning 21, because they would have already experienced with mind altering chemicals because they were easier to get than alcohol. This may be a good thing, as research chemicals can be less harmful than alcohol.

Last edited:
RCs are a false sense of security. If you get caught with them and claim that you were just using them for research, they can throw you in jail for violating all sorts of research misconduct laws. Plus, good luck convincing a judge/jury that that was your intended purpose.

That said, the authorities don't seem to pay as much attention to RCs. My guess is that it wouldn't be worth the effort to try to lock people up for it, so they seem more interested in keeping up on shceduling them.

Also, I knew tons of kids who drank alcohol and I know tons of people who have bought/provided alcohol to people underage. I mean, I know a ton of kids who have been caught by police in the possession of alcohol, and as long as theyre not a repeat offender, being stupid, or the cops not having a bad days then they were let go with a warning. Ive only known one person who's ever purchased an RC, and it's not even really someone I know... more like something I heard through the grapevine from a friend of a friend.

I think alcohol is a far worse scourge to the US and most other western countries than RCs, most people have much readily available access to alcohol than RCs. And seriously, good luck to anyone who tries the 'it was for research purposes' tactic. That's provides alot more protection for the vendor than the consumer

What exactly counts as two drinks per day? I was imagining two 40% or 35% alcohol 50 (or 100) ml shots per day for helping depression or for getting rid of anxiety. Stronger alcohols don't really taste that great, so that's what can keep someone (or at least me) from drinking more of it. Even pills can taste better than 40%+ alcohols.

Two drinks = 60ml of a 40% alcohol. Standard drinks are a lot less than most people think. Two x 100ml would be almost 7 drinks.

It's just a really shit drug with a very narrow therapeutic index. I feel there's a lot of post-hoc justification going on when people talk about the health benefits, generally speaking. If it didn't cause intoxication people wouldn't be consuming it for said benefits, that's for sure.

Now you have confused me. First your claim was that it is a "fact" that "the vast majority of people who consume alcohol do so responsibly." .... now it seems you have changed that "fact" to "the fact remains that the vast majority of people who consume alcohol dont have it ruin their lives." I'm confident you can see how that can cause confusion.

Also, where are you getting your sources for these "facts"?
It's important to be clear on such matters.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Self-reporting is notoriously inaccurate; how did they define the terms? Not a rhetorical question, I didn't have time to read the document in it's entirety, heh. How one given person in Anywhereville, USA defines heavy drinking could vary drastically from your definition, or my definition.
Why poll only for heavy drinking? Negative health effects don't begin to occur when one surpasses one's self-defined limit. Toxicity doesn't care if you can handle your liquor; drinking to intoxication can cause damage (I'm too tired to source, but anyone not on Z-drugs should be able to find a supporting source, it's an established notion), but it's probable that a great many people don' equate drinking to intoxication with heavy drinking. And, again, no set definition of what constitutes heavy drinking. Speed of consumption matters, as well.

Not arguing with you personally, Burnt Offerings; definitely doubting the validity of using the quoted source as a primary source for supporting your argument, however.

@ both jamesBrown and yourself, though- this seems like a disagreement that neither of you is going to 'win', imo; the issue is exceedingly complex and metabolic/cultural/individual variation make self-reported studies a useless indicator as to the depth of the problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong! How, though, does one determine the extent to which the populace of the United States abuses alcohol through self-reporting when the aforementioned differences affect a tremendous varation in the definition of excess?

Fwiw, I, anecdotally, note that a statistically significant portion of alcohol consumers in my life (see earlier post, but, again, I don't really even hang out with drinkers) use alcohol beyond it's therepeutic range. I refute the statement that most people use it responsibly, and parrot hotgirls.jpg.exe's comment regarding "post-hoc justification" on the part of consumers.

Burnt-Offerings: this is not directed specifically at you or your comments; rather, I like to talk, and disagree with the currently accepted cultural belief that alcohol is, in most cases, consumed 'responsibly' (though, again, without definition of responsible drinking, none of this is going to go anywhere).

I don't like the postulation that most people drink responsibly, as, if it's generally used responsibly (in the minds of the populace), it becomes easier to make false claims regarding the relative safety of alcohol, and, by way of that established rhetorical safety, do some of the following:
-demonize alcoholics, becase, if most people use responsibly, and alcohol is considered safe, they could be labelled degeneate pariahs incapable of 'saying No' (thank you, Mrs. Reagan) to a safe substance that most people use responsibly. Why don't they use responsibly like the rest of us??? Most people can do it!??
-increased instances of unrecognized problem drinking (what the fuck is heavy drinking; we should be focusing on problem drinking) normalized by societal views that cast aside those who suffer from alcohol addiction.
-Normalizing existing problematic drinking; hey, if you and everyone you know drinks, and you drink a six pack a night, and the majority of people drink responsibly... 'I can handle my liquor, and I do this all the time, I'm a responsible drinker.'

The reason I find it unacceptable to normalize drinking like that is not for moral reasons, it is purely ethical. People should know what they're getting into, and neither me nor my two siblings (still in secondary school, I've since moved on to post-secondary) ever received the smallest modicum of alcohol education beyond being taught of the dangers of drinking and driving.
People deserve the truth.
Let them make an educated decision.
Like tobacco, we should be aware of the risks before we decide to invite a dangerous (objectively- that low TI score) drug into their lives.

Other reasons, as well, but I wrote this all sitting on the toilet and my legs are getting awful sore and my toes went numb and it's cold in here and I want to stand uppp

G

Normalizing existing problematic drinking; hey, if you and everyone you know drinks, and you drink a six pack a night, and the majority of people drink responsibly... 'I can handle my liquor, and I do this all the time, I'm a responsible drinker.'

Yes to all of your post but I particularly wanted to highlight this part, it's a huge problem. Too many people drink at a level that could be classified as abuse but it's so normalised, people are really resistant to hearing that it could be a problem. I can't think of any other drug where that's the case.

I disagree about the mood. Most people I know who drink become whiney or aggressive while under the influence. Sure, they're happy at first but as they down the drinks, their mood changes. Also, the nasty hangover effect leaves most people feeling depressed and ill.
Who can find anything positive in all that?

What bothers me most is how alcohol is more socially acceptable thank drug use or smoking. You can sue tobacco companies but you can't sue alcohol makers. Smokers harm themselves.
Drinkers harm themselves and can cause serious injury/death to others.

DUI, cirrhosis. vehicle accidents that cause death, violent outburst/behavior, depression, etc. I can't see how alcohol can benefit anyone.

Just like drugs, alcohol gives you that false sense of security ... relaxation after a drink, calms your nerves, good for you because it's legal..when you can harm yourself or others while under the influence.

In Burnt Offering's defense, I don't have any stats to back up my statement, just anecdotal evidence, but I have many friends who are able to have a single beer or glass of wine and even walk away with a little bit left at the bottom of the glass. I can't. If I drink, it's been proven over and over I'm going to drink until blackout and wake up still drunk the following morning. I have friends that loooove cocaine/crack. I hated it. It made me manic bordering on panicky. I have friends that are major potheads. Pot makes me unpleasantly dizzy. I was into downers in general (opiates, benzos and alcohol - still struggling with alcohol), but I had another friend who was a bigtime heroin addict but hated alcohol. My point is we are all wired differently and that accounts for our differences in drug of choice.

@shaleh I have never suffered from any depression or major hangover after drinking alcohol. I can drink about 15 shots in a row, and the next day I wont really feel anything too negative. Maybe some people are just wired differently?

@shaleh I have never suffered from any depression or major hangover after drinking alcohol. I can drink about 15 shots in a row, and the next day I wont really feel anything too negative. Maybe some people are just wired differently?

Bullshit. 15 shots is in the neighborhood of 665ml. Depending on your weight and assuming you're consuming 80 proof spirits, it would leave you with a BAC in the neighborhood of .3-.35. Even after 9 hours of sleep you would still be very much wasted with a BAC in the neighborhood of .2-.24. Certainly survivable, as I've been taken to the emergency room with a BAC as high as .55, but to say "the next day I won't really feel anything" is complete and utter bullshit. It would take about 24 hours to metabolize that much alcohol.

OK...what source do you feel is a more objective measure of people's alcohol consumption habits?

I agree with you that the question of "responsible drinking" is pretty abstract...different people have different views on what is and is not "responsible". So perhaps the question should be constructed thusly: "out of everyone who consumes alcohol, how many have experienced negative repercussions as a direct result of their consumption?" (whether medical, legal, social etc.) Do you feel that is the best way to approach this?

"Alcohol Use Disorder" as defined by that source as a disorder which occurs when the patients "drinking causes distress or harm". That's a pretty broad category IMO. According to the SAMSHA survey in 2014, over 16 million Americans reported such a disorder during the 2014 calendar year...which seems like a large number...but it isn't nearly as large as the 70+ percent of the entire American population aged 18+ who consumed alcohol during that same time period.

The claim has been made that self-reporting is inaccurate. OK, I can accept that, in a lot of cases (esp. in cases of self-reporting vis-à-vis illegal drugs) I definitely agree. But what is a better marker of how people drink and how pervasive "problem drinking" is? Because most of what I've seen thus far amounts to "well I've been exposed to extremely problem drinking and/or substance abuse on a regular basis, therefore problem drinking most be extremely pervasive!" If we're measuring it that way than alcohol is not a problem at all, because for every blithering drunk I've seen at the bar, I've seen at least 5 people who can have one or two drinks and be perfectly fine with that.

Even if we accept the statistics you mentioned about "16 million americans" who fall under the category of people who "have experienced negative repercussions as a direct result of their consumption" as the basis for deciding how we define "negative alcohol consumption habits"....and even if we compare that to the 70% of the entire american population who consume alcohol....there is still ONE BIG factor that I think you are overlooking.

....for every single person who consumes alcohol in a detrimental way, there are probably at least(I don't know the exact number) 10 people who are ALSO negatively affected by that persons drinking problems. This would typically include their children, spouse(s), friends, people they have killed in a drunk driving accident, the families of the people who were killed by the drunk drivers, etc etc etc... These are people who are ALSO negatively impacted(and often killed) by the person with a drinking problem. This means that that "16 million" statistic turns into a MUCH MUCH MUCH larger number. Basically....the detrimental effects caused by alcohol are NOT limited to the people with the drinking problems.

It's impossible to calculate the number of people affected if you consider this....but you can't deny that it would be MASSIVE.

I don't drink because it impairs my motor skills and it's not practical to not be able to drive. What if someone needs to go to the hospital? How would people who are drunk assuming it's a party get home? Though you certainly could drink responsibly and if someone really wants to I say have at it but I can't so don't. Everytime I've tried shit happened and it was really really really bad or nothing happened and I felt a slight buzz

Bullshit. 15 shots is in the neighborhood of 665ml. Depending on your weight and assuming you're consuming 80 proof spirits, it would leave you with a BAC in the neighborhood of .3-.35. Even after 9 hours of sleep you would still be very much wasted with a BAC in the neighborhood of .2-.24. Certainly survivable, as I've been taken to the emergency room with a BAC as high as .55, but to say "the next day I won't really feel anything" is complete and utter bullshit. It would take about 24 hours to metabolize that much alcohol.

It was 40% alcohol. It looks like you did an estimate using a double shot glass. German sized shot glasses are 20 ml. 15 shots x 20 ml shot glass = 300 ml. The actual amount would be slightly below 300 ml, because you don't/can't always fill a shot glass up to the brim. The actual amount can be from 220 - 300.

Last edited:
Wow i drank 60 ml of whiskey and felt sick for hours. But then again i have stomach problems

It goes to show, that even at such high amounts, alcohol does not cause depression nor much of any hangover. For me, at least.

At much lower doses, like the two drinks per day, for heart/cognitive improvements, I doubt alcohol would do much more or any damage.

It goes to show, that even at such high amounts, alcohol does not cause depression nor much of any hangover. For me, at least.

At much lower doses, like the two drinks per day, for heart/cognitive improvements, I doubt alcohol would do much more or any damage.

Just because it's not causing acute visible issues does not mean it's not causing any problems at all. Humans have notoriously poor risk assessment abilities when it comes to more long term and/or intangible risks

Status
Not open for further replies.