Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Politics The 2020 Trump Presidency Thread

Xorkoth

Administrator: PD, TR, P&S
Staff member
The difference is that one gathering furthers a radical and violent far-left agenda, and the other one helps Trump win re-election.
People who protest are not adhering to social distancing and many aren't wearing masks. They've also been instructed to stay home to not even risk the transmission of the virus onto the elderly.
BTW if the elites were calling out rioters then I my stance would be different but they're purposefully conflating protesters and rioters so this is how they will be reacted to.
Bold and underline is mine for emphasis... but it's odd how you are conflating protesters and rioters in order to paint the protesters as a group as violent (and thus working to de-legitimize the movement, which is something you and some others in here keep doing), and then in the same post, you state that the elites are purposely conflating rioters with protesters, the very same thing you're doing.

I just want to get this straight... you DO agree that there is an attempt to conflate peaceful protesters with those who are using this to be violent and destructive, right? If so, it would be nice if you stopped doing the same whenever it is conducive to your argument. The #1 thing being used in the media and people who don't support the protests is this very thing. The vast majority of protesters are peaceful and are exercising their civic duty to protest what they disagree with, but those seeking to oppose this right of the people to protest are undermining it by saying "see, there is some terrible violence and looting going on, therefore you should be opposed to this movement because clearly all these people are violent nutjobs who just want to burn everything down and attack innocent people and their property".

JGrimez

Bluelighter
yeah it's a great look really, a group of teenage tiktokers sabotaging arguably your highest profile campaign event of all time. You'd think maybe the presidential campaign staff would be able to outwit a group of gen z Kpop fans.
This is like the first time in 4 years that the Left has managed to successfully troll Trump - what you're feeling now is common to the MAGA crowd (and I'm calling BS on giving credit to tiktok/k-pop)
But then what does this prove? It shows that Trump's opponents are desperate to shatter the illusion of massive support for Trump - because the arena otherwise would have been full - and that's even in spite of corona-chan panic, serious threats from the Left, protests/violence etc.
You could even say that's bordering on interfering with the democratic process (if this happened to Biden they'd blame Russia).
Do you think Biden could pack out arenas? Maybe, maybe not. They're never going to risk it as it would probably flop.
And then they'll tell us in the MSM that Biden has a double-digit lead.
Can't believe they haven't learned anything from 2016's epic fuckup.

And this is the thing that grinds my gears the most. The average slob (yep, I'm one of them sometimes too) is so focused on on the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle the politicians, "news" channels and social media are pushing them that sight of the bigger picture is lost.
Very easy to get caught up in. It's a veritable minefield out there.

but it's odd how you are conflating protesters and rioters in order to paint the protesters as a group as violent (and thus working to de-legitimize the movement, which is something you and some others in here keep doing), and then in the same post, you state that the elites are purposely conflating rioters with protesters, the very same thing you're doing.
First of all let's be clear- if corona-chan panic is true and genuine then even peaceful protesters should be staying home. Yes I care about black lives and police brutality just as much but it's simply not an excuse to spread the virus (their logic).
Personally I've heavily criticized the corona-chan panic so I actually have no problem with peaceful protesting right now - however - if I was protesting for a noble cause I would not let violent factions take it over. I would either cease the peaceful protesting so that the violent troublemakers could be identified and rounded up, or I would at least definitely be calling them out. I wouldn't make excuses such as "this is a reaction to the problem that we're protesting", which I view as a common sentiment among protesters, so many of them are conflating the groups themselves.

Couple that with the fact that I think the re-emergence of BLM has not happened organically leads me to sympathize very little with "peaceful protesters" at this moment. IMO they fit the description of useful idiots. They're like a Trojan horse to introduce other agendas which they are either oblivious to, aware of but refuse to call out or they actively support them. For eg a protest against Chauvin murdering Floyd has now led to the taking down of statues of Washington and Thomas Jefferson. So I respect the point that you're making and I agree in a certain context, but no, f**k the zombie sheep peaceful protesters. They're doing more harm than good by allowing themselves to be weaponized - and by their own advice they should be staying home anyway.

Worth listening to even if you are not a Peter Gabriel fan...
Did he say "Adolf builds a bonfire"?
Reported for antisemitism.

Nicholai

Bluelighter
Egads. Don't forget: there was no limit as to how many tickets were available for the rally.

I ADORE the K-pop kids.

But in the end, still, only 6,200 people showed up to the Klan rally. The MAGATs simply didn't show.

Try to spin it as you may.... 😂

mal3volent

Sr. Moderator: CEPS, TL, S&G
Staff member
Don't forget that they were putting out press releases about the seat availability hours before the speech started. In 2016 Trump could have filled that arena in 10 minutes.

this really is a problem for trump. Trump won in 16 because of the massive enthusiasm. He made up for his other deficiencies with his base. And because everyone hated hilliary

No one really hates Biden. They don't love him but they don't hate him. Every single person in this country who hates Trump is going to vote Biden.

the most rabid Trump people will show up, but some of the ones who aren't batshit insane may stay home.

ive always said trump would win again, but my confidence level is going down a little

mal3volent

Staff member
@mal3volent , I guarantee you that some of us hate Biden.

He was the author of the Rave Act!!

That said, he still gets my vote.

😔
yeah I guess I should have said most don't hate him. And even the ones who do hate him still may vote for him anyway just go get trump out.

Xorkoth

Administrator: PD, TR, P&S
Staff member
I will also vote Biden to get Trump out, sadly. I would prefer Biden to Trump. I think Trump served a purpose, which was to shake things up, but I really, really do not want to see the damage he can do with another 4 years. I would vastly prefer Sanders or a variety of other potential Dem candidates but c'est la vie, unfortunately due to our political system this is not possible. Once again, we are faced with the choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

We really need to abolish the electoral college system and just go with popular vote. If we just counted the votes and went with popular vote, and ignore the party affiliation and abolish the primaries, people would feel empowered to actually vote for the candidate they felt would be the best option. Additionally we could implement a ranked vote system so that you rank your choices from first to last, so there was weighting. I believe moving to this sort of system would go a long way in making elections actually representative of what the people want, and giving all candidates a fair shake.

Noodle

Bluelight Crew
Hey all. It's been awhile.

I agree things look bad for this President, as some Republicans are distancing themselves from him. The shills and sycophants are still at his side though.

The sheer ridiculousness of his propaganda machine is just sad at this point, but still strangely feeding his mindless base everything they need to want to know about their favorite deranged demagogue.

_____

/related reading: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/trump-holds-controversial-indoor-rally-in-tulsa-updates.html

JGrimez

Bluelighter
He was the author of the Rave Act!!
WTF? I didn't even know that.
Is there any other piece of legislation which was more damaging to the electronic dance music community?

Couple that with Biden's policies which destroyed black families - how can anyone here justify voting for Biden over Trump?

It's become cheering for a team at this point

JGrimez

Bluelighter
The bill was sponsored by Senator Joseph Biden, along with cosponsors Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Joseph Lieberman, Strom Thurmond, Patrick Leahy and Richard Durbin.

RAVE act said:
Most of the public commentary regarding the RAVE Act centered on the prologue section of the bill titled "Findings."[3] Such sections do not create new substantive law but serve as guidance to the judiciary in interpreting the law and the executive in enforcing the law. Among the items listed in the "Findings" section include statements regarding rave promoters providing "chill rooms" and bottled water for large fees, where participants can go and cool down from the body-temperature-raising effects of ecstasy; and selling "neon glow sticks; massage oils; menthol nasal inhalers; and pacifiers that are used to combat the involuntary teeth clenching associated with ecstasy."[2]

Specifically, many were concerned that these expansive definitions might permit the police to arrest and charge concert promoters under this law so long as glow sticks and bottled water were present.[4] Congress was also accused of picking an easy, public target so as to continue support for the War on Drugs.[3] Others were concerned that too much responsibility would be placed on concert promoters to police their patrons.[5] Also, many were concerned that their First Amendment right to freedom of assembly would be violated were the law enacted.[6]

mal3volent

Staff member
This is crazy.
A drug forum arguing that the guy who sponsored the RAVE act should be president.
It actually really responsible harm reduction.

I don't think Trump is as good of a politician as I once thought. He should have taken the high road after his impeachment. Became an actual President and unifying leader. Stopped acting like a child on Twitter.

I mean, this election is really his to lose. He has a more passionate base, he beat Mueller, Democrats are self destructing ... shit. If he would have just controlled himself a little , he could be ahead 15 points right now.

But the people in the suburbs , especially the women, are just not going to show up for him. They're tired of the chaos.

IDK, maybe the Dems made a smart move betting this would be a return to normalcy election. People just want to switch off and let global warming take us. We could have made up for lost time with Bernie but fuck it.