• Current Events, Politics
    & Science

Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Election 2020 The 2020 Candidates: Right, Left and Center!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deru

Moderator: CEPS
Staff member
No, I don't. There's racism just like there always has been but it's not systemic. How could there be systemic racism when we've seen a black president, NBA players are making millions of dollars, people are getting scholarships based on their race, etc., etc.?

For sure, systemic racism wouldn't guarantee all Black people (or more appropriately, all minorites) are affected. I don't believe it's that severe, for sure - we'd have a huge problem if it did. I do believe that it exists, though, and it exists enough that it's crossing some threshold (what that is, I don't know) that it's problematic for enough minorities that change would be beneficial to our country, as a whole. It only benefits everyone, in the long run.

But, fair enough, assuming there is no systemic racism for our discussion here, do you believe racism alone is worthy of protests or advocation of change? If not, what could be done that didn't make a lot of noise?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
But, fair enough, assuming there is no systemic racism for our discussion here, do you believe racism alone is worthy of protests or advocation of change? If not, what could be done that didn't make a lot of noise?

I'd have to know the circumstances. If it isn't systemic then it's not really something you can effectively protest because there's always going to be a minority of people that are racist, and protesting isn't going to change their views. If they're acting on their racism tho then that's obviously a criminal issue. So what change are we advocating and what is the end goal? I think a lot of people don't even know what they're protesting for at this point. Countless protests making crazy demands that are never going to be taken seriously isn't the way to see change imo. They'd be better off working within the system for feasible solutions and working on programs within their own communities to try to change some of the societal issues they're faced with. But then again, an awful lot of these people seem to be white, so I'm not exactly sure how they'd know what's best for the African American majority in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.