• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2014/2015 nfl thread v. R U RDY 4 SUM FOOTBAW?

Yeah the suspension policies almost seem completely random. I don't think the Players' Union is going to put up with it for much longer. Goodell could find himself on the outs real soon.

enjoy this while you can, gm:

afceast01.jpg

:)

alasdair

LOL

I don't think I've ever asked before Ali... what got you into American football so much? I am genuinely interested. the rules are so cumbersome and the pace so erratic that you don't see many non US born fans

as a complete sports hipster I do think it's admirable regardless. I'm the type of dude that will watch curling or Aussie rules football with the best of them

sports may be, along with religion, a method to control the common man by deflecting his attention - but damn, if only they didn't do such a fine job

when i moved here, as you know, my first us home was boston and, when i got here, the red sox were terrible and hadn't won in a world series since 1918. the new england patriots were the worst team in football. i assimilated pretty quickly and, living across the street from fenway, my first love became baseball . i suspect that my love of football grew from the fact that everybody in my office was all about baseball and football - it was a convenient summer/winter arrangement. i just didn't really hang out with anybody who watched hockey or basketball.

when i moved to the west coast, my best friend from scotland also moved to the bay area and he got pretty big into football - he's a raiders fan. we'd go to raiders games and spend all day watching football. then i moved to tahoe and sunday was one of my days off. i'd often get up, get baked and watch 3 football games because the resort would be crazy busy and i could go riding mid-week when it was quieter.

in 2001, in game 2, bledsoe was injured and in stepped tom brady. after that, watching patriots football got to be a pretty special thing :)

alasdair

If you want to get into basketball you should be watching the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry is the best shooter that will ever play basketball. You'll never see another player like him

He might be the most entertaining thing in sports at the moment. Must see TV

I'm jealous you live so close to Oakland. You really should go see a game there

^ thanks for the recommendation.

went to two kings games this season. not so much :)

alasdair

here's a BOLD prediction for you:

Tampa Bay wins the NFC South this year

worst to first, its happening. not even because of Winston, they lost a lot of close games last year and have a decent defense with two number 1 receivers imo (Jackson, Evans)

and that guy that got at rb, Doug Martin, he's pretty sick

TB wins nfc south

feeling BOLD

^ that is a bold prediction and i respect that. but it's hard to see the bucks doing better than either the panthers or the saints.

the saints are looking weaker but they have a lot of talent, they have drew brees who continues to roll, they have a solid defense and a decent schedule.

it's possible this division is, again, worst in football with an 9-7 or 8-8 division champion but it's hard to see the bucs winning more than 5 games...

my prediction is not as bold: eagles win the nfc east

alasdair

Last edited:
I just was looking at their scores from last year the other day, and it's crazy how many games they had a chance to win. look at these scores

w1: vs Carolina, L 20-14
w2: vs St Louis, L 19-17
w3: @ Atlanta, L 56 - 14 (was a thursday night game iirc, a lot of teams have one game where they get blown out each year really)
w4: @ Pittsburgh, W 27-24
w5: @ New Orleans, L 37-31(OT)
w6: vs Baltimore, L 48-17 (ok so two blowouts)
w7: bye
w8: vs Minnesota, L 19-13(OT)
w9: @ Cleveland, L 22-17
w10: vs Atlanta, L 27-17
w11: @ Washington, W 27-7
w12: @ Chicago, L 21-13
w13, vs Cincinnati, L 14-13
w14: @ Detroit, L 34-17
w15: @ Carolina, L 19-17
w16: vs Green Bay, L 20-3
w17: vs New Orleans, L 23-20

that's a lot of games where they are a big play away from coming out with a win. Lovie Smith is a good coach, their defense will be decent this year, and I think Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson are the most dangerous 1-2 WR combination in the league, especially in the red zone.

Their main problem was the offensive line last year, they were tied for 3rd for most sacks allowed

I think Winston will give them a confidence boost as a team though. Say what you want about his character, he definitely knows how to inspire his teammates and leaves it all on the field. Not to mention, he's not an overly speedy QB but he is somewhat shifty and hard to bring down. That will help the offensive line a little bit. Doug Martin made the pro bowl his rookie year iirc and then had an injury or two but he should be ready to go for this season.

one more guy to look out for this year: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. 6'5, 262lb TE with decent hands. To go with Jackson (6'5, 230 lbs) and Evans (6'5, 231 lbs)? holy red zone percentage batman. if they dont score a TD at least 70% of the time that's weak.

and they drafted a speed WR in Kenny Bell, someone to keep the defenses honest and have to keep two safeties deep. That leaves a mismatch SOMEWHERE for one of the 3 previous Neanderthals I mentioned

Gerald McCoy is an All-Pro type of player on the defensive line, and Lavonte David was 3rd in the league in tackles last year.

their secondary isnt exactly full of household names but Alterraun Verner is an underrated CB and the entire defense was on the field a lot last year so they were bound to get beaten eventually at times, especially in the New NFL where defenders are basically reduced to trying to get as close to the receiver as possible and go "boo!"

TB Bucs, Im thinking they go 8-8 and win the division. NFC South plays the NFC East and the AFC South this year so I mean just imagine who else they are playing (washington, Tennessee, Jacksonville, NYG, shit the Eagles could suck this year I have no idea) and their two other conference opponents? St Louis and Chicago. not exactly an insurmountable task to beat both of those teams, especially if they are already eliminated from playoff contention and the Bucs are neck and neck with say, Atlanta (the STL and Chi games are weeks 15 and 16 respectively).

Idk, I mainly just want to see Jameis do good because while I think he is immature as fuck, he's also 21 years old. Im 23 and still immature as fuck so w/e. I was never one to care about off the field issues unless it was something excessively violent in nature. I think he has a shot at offensive rookie of the year, but it depends on how some other guys pan out (if I had to pick 3 to watch: Winston, Nelson Agholor on the Eagles, and Todd Gurley on the Rams)

if you had bet the spread on the Bucs every game this year you would have made some money for sure

now, bold​ predictions, Im expecting some from you guys

and you know what is and isnt a bold prediction, dont come in here and go "I think LeSean McCoy will have the most single season rushing yards of his career in Buffalo."

that's just expected by pretty much everyone you know.

now if you say: LeSean McCoy will break the single season rushing record this year...

now that's...BOLD BABY

come up with something weak and its

o%2527doyle.jpg

Last edited:
hey arci, what do you think about the Lions this year? i'm not feeling as pessimistic about this season as some other fans are. losing Suh isn't that big of a deal IMO. Ngata definitely won't be able to completely fill Suh's shoes, but i don't think losing Suh is going to be as big of a deal as some people make it out to be...

what? that's pretty plausible actually considering Tom Brady's 4 game suspension, the super bowl hangover, and Miami and Buffalo both getting better

bold predictions:

bengals win the afc
bills make it to the afc championship game
chargers finish 4th in their division
raiders finish with a better record than the 49ers

alasdair

tnw, Haloti Ngata isnt exactly a huge drop off from Suh. Suh is definitely the better all around player, but Ngata definitely gets less penalties and is just as solid against the run.

and he's a hell of a lot cheaper. Ameer Abdullah would have been my 4th Rookie of the Year Candidate. I think he'll slide into that offense rather nicely.

Megatron is still Megatron. Golden Tate really stepped up when Megatron was hurt last year.

IIRC, the Lions blew about 3-4 games due to shitty field goal kicking. if they fix that they'll make the playoffs again for sure

especially since Chicago will probably be a bottom 5 team this year and Minnesota looks like your standard 6-10, 7-9 team. The two games against Green Bay will probably determine who wins the NFC North just like last year.

However, I think the Wild Cards will go to the NFC East and NFC West this year (Eagles or Cowboys / Seahawks or Cardinals)

the Cowboys shouldn't be that much worse running the ball this year without DeMarco Murray. Joseph Randle is a decent back, he's just a fucking idiot off the field. I still think they might make a run at Adrian Peterson too. If that happens, I think Dallas makes the playoffs considering their best defensive player (Sean Lee), missed all of last year on the IR and he is an outstanding all around linebacker. Can play the run and the pass and has a knack for causing turnovers

just another great player out of Linebacker U (penn st)

depends on if Carson Palmer can finish a full season

if Stanton has to come in for a few games, wild card and Seattle wins the div

even if Palmer stays healthy they might just get the Wild Card

the Rams are the real wild card in the NFC. them and the Eagles. I could see both of those teams finishing anywhere from .500 to 12-4

Bold Predictions:

The Patriots will finish 3rd in the AFCE
Tyrod Taylor beats out EJ Manuel and Matt Cassell for the starting QB job in Buffalo and leads them to the playoffs.
The Vikings won't suck this year.

Very bold prediction:

The Steelers will struggle to end the season over .500 even though Vegas currently has them with the 8th best odds to win the Superbowl(sorry axl!)