• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The 0.5mg-10mg Diazepam "Myth"

Alexander16

Bluelighter
Does anyone really believe 10mg valium is as weak as 0.5mg xanax, or have that same effect? It almost makes me angry every time I see "0.5mg xanax=10mg xanax) all over the net. I have been on both meds daily for long period and 10mg Diazepam, although not as "hard hitting" definitely doesn't equal a 5xanax. I would put it as 1mg xanax=10mg Diaz and many of my friends whove been on both meds for long period agree...Comments? Oh, also I was on 3-4mg xanax/day for almost 3 years and did a direct crossover to 30mg valium with no w/ds, aside from a bit of tinnitus the first week...The Ashton manual kinda just seems like its incorrect, slow crossover to 80mg valium to get off 4mg xanax...Really?

I always thought the conversion should be more along the lines of 10mg diazepam=1mg alprazolam as well. You just have to remember these two benzodiazepines have a very different effects profile that makes it harder to quantify an exact conversion. Xanax tends to make me feel more "wonked out" and is more hard-hitting and potent. I can usually tell immediately if someone is on a large dose of it. Valium is more gentle and full-spectrum and tends to make me a lot more sedated. Both are extremely good anxiolytics.

Valium has a much longer half life than alprozolam. If you are dosing once a day at the same time then the effects of valium are having a slightly greater accumulative effect.

If I were to give someone a benzodiazepine just once, 10 mg diazepam I would judge to equal about 0.5 mg alprazolam, by the simple metric of strength. However, I would not necessarily argue that someone taking 6 mg alprazolam daily is achieving an effect of someone taking 60 mg diazepam daily (not 120 mg), for with chronic use I think 10 mg diazepam is equal to somewhere in between 0.5 mg and 1 mg alprazolam. In chronic dosing, diazepam has crazy half-life in active metabolites produced, however alprazolam is so rapidly over and done with, with respect to its duration of action. In fact, I so despise the short duration of action of alprazolam, that I have no idea why any doctor would elect to use it over other benzodiazepines for treatment involving chronic dosing.

Man this is what bothers you?...I wish I had the problems in your life.

The different equivalencies of Benzos often don't 'feel' right because they're not based on sedation/anxiolysis (etc) but rather they are the ratios determined by studies for the purpose of obtaining simplified diazepam equivalents to convert to when trying to withdraw patients. So for example, 0.5mg alprazolam might not feel like 10mg diazepam, however replacing an 'addicts' 0.5mg of alprazolam with 10mg Diaz, should effectively stave of withdrawals... Benzo equivalence tables aren't the best way to compare these drugs... But hey, it's all we got

For me, I think it's a little weaker than xanax/klonopin, but last longer and is more chill/just wanna lay around. Usually have to take 40mg to get where I want to get with Val's(if im looking for a buzz anyway, 15-20mg for anxiety relief) though with xanax or klonopin 2mg of either puts me in the same place as 40mg of valium and just 1mg of either for anxiety relief...think it just vary's person to person.

I agree with you, OP. From use of both drugs, I have always personally equated 10 mg diazepam to at the very least .75 mg of alprazolam.
Anyone know the word on chlordiazepoxide equivalency? Seeing conflicting info everywhere on that one.