• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC+vape temp (why go higher then 170c?)

GGooDD

Bluelighter
Hello, ive been a pot smoker for only about a year now, http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/679375-Hello!-THC-opiate-user! (my new user intro), and ive read alot of posts on here, and i just had a question
ive read alot about vaporizers (the high heat vs low heat, the high fan speed vs low fan speed, ive read it all), but something i dont understand to me is the "efficiency of vaporizing",

example, The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level). now, if all you wanted to do was boil water, is there any point to putting the stove to 101 or any higher? not really, other then time you might save, youll be burning more electricity needing you to work more to pay that bill more (everything adds up right?) but even on a scientific point, weed vapes at 170C apparently (thats the internet concensious), now whats the point of putting it at 230C for that quick thick burn, or 170 for that "sharable but less intense burn" because once your at 171C all the extra heat is just wasting elecricity cause the weeds already vaped. (once waters already boiling you move it down from hi to 100C or whatever because u dont need the extra heat). I dont know if u get my point, but does this make sense? why does it vape differently at different temps?

Thanks

hello GGooDD!
i'm not sure if this will help but IME with vaporization of fresh flowers i have noticed that if it is dry it is best to set my vape to 365 or 370 it gives it good clouds which i find hard to get from dry flower. as for the top shelf. high temps are best for me 400-415 sometimes 420 if i want a good rip :)
on to my next point, when i vape i find myself always trying to chase the cloud effect like having smoke in my lungs and coughing. i have vaped at low temps like 215-250 and it gives a great taste small buildup and a great high. just no clouds :?
hope this helps but it was just opinoins and experience

Well you can think of it like this for example: Imagine you have 2 hot plates, one is at 101 degrees celsius and the other is at 1000 degrees celsius. You drop 50ml of water on those hot plates. Which hotplate do you think vaporizes the water faster? When you use something like a volcano vaporizer, you only have a set amount of time to blow hot air through the weed before your bag is full. If you put a lot of plant material in the volcano and use a temperature that barely vaporizes the weed, there will still be a lot of actives remaining in the plant. If you use the 230 temperature setting, your weed will give off more actives in the time it takes to fill the bag.

Personally I only put so much weed in my unit that I actually want to vaporize, assuming nearly 100% conversion of actives to vapor, it's easier for me to dose accurately that way than to put x amount of weed in and then start guessing what % of it actually ends in my bag. For this same reason I prefer the weed a bit on the dryer side, when there's moisture in your plant material, all that water is absorbing the heat energy meaning cannabinoids get even less of it.

THC is not the only active compound in cannabis. There are many others. The most important secondary compound is cannabidiol, a.k.a. "CBD". CBD is not active by itself, but it changes the effects of thc. CBD generally gives a sedating, relaxing effect, Many report it helps with anxiety, it also has some anti-psychotic action and can counteract some of the side effects from THC alone. The important point is that CBD, as well as many other components, have a higher boiling point than THC.

The boiling point of THC is 157°C. If you set your vape at 160°C, you will get some THC, but it will come out very slow. Most of the vapor at this temperature will consist of water vapor as well as various flavinoids and terpenes with low boiling points. You will need to puff all day to get high and you will not get any of the other psychoactive compounds from the weed. CBD has a boiling point of 180°C. By keeping your vape at 170°C, you are getting almost none of this CBD or other compounds with even higher boiling points. When using a temperature-controllable vape, I usually prefer 190-195°C. As I continue the session, I may increase the temp to around 230°C to get the most out of the bud.

I don't know if you save your weed after you have vaped it but there is always a little bit of cannabinoids left in the "vape-poo". This leftover has a much higher ratio of high boiling point compounds(like cbd) to low boiling point compounds(like thc). You can use this leftover material to make edibles. The range of subjective effects from this can be much different than from fresh cannabis. For me, it it usually highly sedating, almost narcotic.