• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

THC use while going through withdrawals

DonLearnsWhy

Bluelighter
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had experience smoking or eating THC while going through withdrawals from a harder substance.

Thank you for your time!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had experience smoking or eating THC while going through withdrawals from a harder substance.

Thank you for your time!

I'm doing this as we speak. I should note upfront that I'm going through a slow kratom taper with some comfort meds and not experiencing full on withdrawal symptoms at any point, so take this with a grain of salt and please carefully consider both your physical and mental state, as well as how cannabis normally effects you before any attempts to attenuate your withdrawal with it.

It's definitely a double edged sword. Smaller than normal amounts are beneficial, but the amount I would normally smoke or consume is enough to trigger significant anxiety. 20-30mg of edible cannabis, about 40-60% of my normal dose, is my sweet spot for edibles. I find the Ripple dissolvable THC to be the most useful due to the extremely rapid onset (roughly 5 minutes) compared with standard edible cannabis; a single 10mg serving is enough to help for just about three hours. I generally utilize a single 10mg serving of Ripple while I wait for my 2 10mg gummies to kick in. With standard edible cannabis, 20mg is just about right to increase physical comfort without spiking anxiety and/or physical discomfort, but the slow onset can be frustrating. 10mg of Ripple wears off at about the same time the regular edibles take effect.

Smoked cannabis is less useful, but far easier to find the correct dose for the effects you hope to achieve. I'm smoking a very heavy indica called "Grape Ape" and a nice hybrid called "Black Cherry Punch" and, without a doubt, the "Grape Ape" is far more useful, especially in the evening up to "bed time", such as it is during a kratom taper. Care needs to be taken with either strain, the "Black Cherry Punch" being more useful during the day, especially for motivation prior to the ever important exercise that I sleep very little without. I'm constantly surprised by how much my cannabis tolerance has been effected by what I'm going through.

I normally dose around 50mg of edible cannabis to hit my sweet spot, and that quantity would be overly intense to harrowing at present. That said, I wouldn't want to even attempt a taper like this without cannabis. It makes a big difference in how much healthy food I'm consuming and how much exercise I get.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, I'll check back a few times before I go to sleep tonight.

Edit: formatted for easier reading

Last edited:
I'm constantly surprised by how much my cannabis tolerance has been effected by what I'm going through.
Thank you for your detailed reply!

I have experienced similar things when it comes to cannabis tolerance paired with other drug reduction. Oddly the high is a lot more intense.

In my opinion it is comparable to smoking cannabis with a cold.

I was smoking THC oil while going through Benzo withdrawals. Every time I smoked I would feel way more anxiety and even confusion. I find it weird that there isn't many articles explaining why this happens.

Thank you for your detailed reply!

I have experienced similar things when it comes to cannabis tolerance paired with other drug reduction. Oddly the high is a lot more intense.

In my opinion it is comparable to smoking cannabis with a cold.

I was smoking THC oil while going through Benzo withdrawals. Every time I smoked I would feel way more anxiety and even confusion. I find it weird that there isn't many articles explaining why this happens.

I think one simply becomes accustomed to the reduction in anxiety and tension that depressants provide when smoking cannabis, especially if it is high quality dispensary cannabis. When that security blanket is removed, it's like going back to the early days of getting stoned, when it's one step removed from tripping...

High dose THC is not a good idea for benzo withdrawal. THC seems to work better for opioid withdrawal.

(As to the mention of 50mg worth of THC edibles; i feel like I'd need a benzo with a dose that high.)