• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Test to differentiate Ketamine from Methoxetamine (MXE)

EntrenchdMentalist

Bluelighter
Hi,

So I know that these are subjectively different in some ways and similar in others, but for someone who doesn't have time and/or doesn't react well to MXE or like the whole day hangover effect, is there a reagent test one can do to differentiate? I know it's easy to reagent test for Ketamine but I wasn't sure if MXE would produce the same result due to chemical similarities.

As an aside, is there any know test for Ketamine to determine the make up (i.e. isomer vs racemic) - less important to me.

Apologies:
If wrong subforum
I'm not a chemist
I tried searching but couldn't find a thread like this
etc.

Thanks.

is there a reagent test one can do to differentiate?

Melting point? The hydrochloride of MXE is 244c, ketamine HCl is ~260C.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the typical color-change reagents would react very similarly between K and MXE. The structures are really quite similar.

As an aside, is there any know test for Ketamine to determine the make up (i.e. isomer vs racemic) - less important to me.

Polarimetry of a solution with a known concentration of ketamine dissolved in it.

Thank you for the reply. As I expected, both of those tests seem to be above my level of expertise. I was hoping for an EZ type solution. I'll have to 'suck it and see'. Thanks again!