• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Temazepam: hard capsules vs soft capsules

Status
Not open for further replies.
DBT has been a life saver. I was diagnosed with BPD when I was 23 (I'm now 28 ) and before that my life was absolutely chaotic. I did the stupidest things, threw temper tantrums, was a pathological liar and manipulated people for personal gain all the time (but unlike antisocial personalities, BPD people actually feel bad but they do it anyway and that is how I was). I couldn't hold on to friends and keep relationships because everything was about me and my moods would shift from elation to rage within hours, even minutes at times. People around me thought I was crazy. If someone said no to me, that would be the end of it. I would hate them so intensely that I would hold deep grudges for long periods of time. If people did what I wanted then they were god to me. I never cut myself or anything, but I hurt myself in different ways. If I was really angry I'd take like 20 tylenols just because I know that it is damaging my body and that made me feel good that I was causing damage to myself. When I was diagnosed at first I was totally in denial and thought the psychiatrist was crazy and stupid, but I came around after a bit and realized that I was borderline and began treatment.

DBT is basically life skills training. The big thing with DBT is "mindfulness" and understanding that others have feelings and stuff like that. It teaches us ways to cope with life and with people and it teaches skills on how to deal with people the right way and things like that. It has worked very well for me. I still have my moments and I still can get arrogant and get frustrated with people if they don't do things my way, but now I can control it and I'm "mindful" of it. I'm a totally different person now.

I've been seeing a psychiatrist since I was 21. I saw a psychiatrist briefly when I was a child because my parents had concerns I was ADHD and that psychiatrist said I was fine. Boy was he dead wrong.

Last edited:
I get occasional panic attacks (PTSD related) and I have pretty bad chronic anxiety. I also have ADHD (but I get Dexedrine for that), I also suffer from depression and I have borderline personality disorder (I'm subtype petulant borderline and self-destructive borderline). For the borderline I get a treatment called dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) plus medications (Abilify, escitalopram). I attend meeting with other people who have borderline personality also because my psychiatrist makes me. The escitalopram also treats my depression.

I've tried to get a second benzo scripted for insomnia and have asked for temazepam but my psychiatrist doesn't believe in scripting more than one benzo. He usually gives me trazodone or eszopiclone for sleep, but I tell him that trazodone doesn't help and I don't like the taste Lunesta leaves in my mouth the next day so he says if you really can't sleep then take an extra 1 mg of alprazolam before bed. He has scripted me temazepam twice. Once when I had a suicide attempt and was really suffering from bad insomnia for a couple of weeks and one other time when I just went off on him at the clinic. I told him I couldn't sleep and he refused to give me anything so I went off and he said this is the first and last time I'm giving you Restoril. So I happily walked out with a script for 30 - 30 mg Restorils.

I used to date a girl who had borderline (mostly discouraged sort I think I remember her saying), so I know a little about what that's like - I hope the therapy and meds are helping you out some. I've been prescribed clonazepam for the day and temazepam for the night at the same time, but I can understand doctors' aversion to that kind of thing. Have you had any success with other hypnotics? I unfortunately never did, and really at that moment it seemed like the only solution for insomnia, GAD and panic disorder (the agoraphobic kind, like all the cool kids) was benzos.

Do you take the alprazolam as an anticipatory maintenance drug, or as an acute treatment for anxiety as needed? Would it be possible to change to an anxiolytic that is also slightly more sedating than alprazolam, so you could use that as a hypnotic? Alternatively, how sedative and how anxiolytic is temazepam for you? I personally could imagine taking it as a spur-of-the-moment anxiolytic, and I have (not being in possession of anything else), as it is quickly absorbed and not disturbingly sedating until you up the dose. Unorthodox perhaps, but worth a thought, if you can't get two benzos and other hypnotics/anxiolytics aren't cutting the mustard.

I used to date a girl who had borderline (mostly discouraged sort I think I remember her saying), so I know a little about what that's like - I hope the therapy and meds are helping you out some. I've been prescribed clonazepam for the day and temazepam for the night at the same time, but I can understand doctors' aversion to that kind of thing. Have you had any success with other hypnotics? I unfortunately never did, and really at that moment it seemed like the only solution for insomnia, GAD and panic disorder (the agoraphobic kind, like all the cool kids) was benzos.

Do you take the alprazolam as an anticipatory maintenance drug, or as an acute treatment for anxiety as needed? Would it be possible to change to an anxiolytic that is also slightly more sedating than alprazolam, so you could use that as a hypnotic? Alternatively, how sedative and how anxiolytic is temazepam for you? I personally could imagine taking it as a spur-of-the-moment anxiolytic, and I have (not being in possession of anything else), as it is quickly absorbed and not disturbingly sedating until you up the dose. Unorthodox perhaps, but worth a thought, if you can't get two benzos and other hypnotics/anxiolytics aren't cutting the mustard.

Borderline is horrible. It is a nightmare because it destroys any kind of relationship you can have with people. Friends quickly become enemies at the slightest joke or remark or something that a BPD doesn't like. The fear of loneliness is crippling, yet you push everyone away. I used to get prazepam for my anxiety, but that was over 5 years ago. It worked well and it was essentially very similar to diazepam but it took longer to kick in. I technically can switch my benzo from alprazolam to something else, but what? We don't have bromazepam on the market here in the US or I would've switched to that. However I have been thinking of a longer-acting benzo to switch to for a while now but I just haven't had the balls to do it. I'm afraid I'll regret it because as much as I don't like alprazolam, it is very effective for my anxiety. I use alprazolam daily - 1 mg 3x/day. The only one I would switch to would be diazepam. Temazepam is very anxiolytic for me, even in relatively small doses (15 mg), but I get it very sedated and if I sit down and don't do anything I will nod off and sleep. That doesn't ever happen with alprazolam. If I stay active and move around and do things then I won't be as sedated as I would be if I was inactive.

I've had success with other hypnotics (out of the ones available in the US) - triazolam, estazolam (though it takes a while to kick in), and flurazepam (to some degree).

But I have had very good results with nitrazepam, lormetazepam, loprazolam, brotizolam and midazolam. Unfortunately, none of these are available in the US. Midazolam is but it is not available in pill form.

I order a lot of benzos online too, but I can't always afford it all the time.

Oh yeah, forgot this:

I consume it as much as I can. I only get alprazolam prescribed, but I get temazepam from the streets. I usually do it 2-3 times a week. If I find someone with a big script, I'll usually pick them all up and then I'll do them everyday until they are gone.

Funny thing is, I can control my benzos. But when it comes to temazepam for some reason I'll take say 5 or 6 30 mg capsules to start off with and a little later I'm feeling relaxed, cozy, have a lift in mood, and feeling slightly euphoric. So I decide to take a few more to keep it going. Before I know it I'm up the next morning and all my pills are gone and I can't remember shit from the night before. This doesn't happen to me with other benzos, ever. Just temazepam. I don't do triazolam often enough to know if it would have the same reinforcing effects, but I'm sure its probably worse.

This doesn't happen to me anymore, but it used to. With most benzos, I'd wake up and realize I'd not remembered the last two hours of the night... and go to my bottle/box to find that there were an additional 2-10 missing. I've also gone on Xanax bar binges and finished them all, but I haven't had a great many then to begin with. It happened twice with each temazepam and nitrazepam, though, that I guzzled 30 pills of 5mg nitrazepam or 20mg temazepam, ie. my entire script (or that refill). Once it had apparently happened in the space of about two hours; my roommate came home at 6 and said I was asleep. I'd left work at around 4pm, gone home via the pharmacy, and managed to pass out (and smoke a gram or two of weed) with my 600mg of temazepam, (ie. next month's medication) all before 6pm. Nice.

With nitrazepam I ate more than 30x5mg the other time, I had some I'd bought from a friend in case. I blacked out for an entire day - apparently I'd been to work, too, and not aroused TOO much suspicion, although people seemed to loosen up once I explained I'm currently taking some "tranquilizers, as the medical professionals call it".

^ Yeah I have more control over my use now so it doesn't happen anymore but it used to happen all the time with temazepam. It happened once when I got a script for ProSom (estazolam) from a doctor but that was only because I took a dose that I thought would be sufficient and a half hour later nothing, an hour later nothing so I kept taking more and more and nothing was happening. Little did I know that estazolam had a really slow onset of effects. Needless to say, I woke up the next day with all the pills gone and me not remembering nothing but taking the original dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.